Quantcast

Avid brake fluid

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have a set of Elixrs and need to bleed them, but dont have anymore "avid brake fluid"

the brake says only usa DOT 4 or DOT 5.1, but i can only find DOT 4 or DOT 5 in local auto stores. the bike shops around me either dont have any or are too expensive.

Can i use DOT 5 in place of DOT 5.1, or should i stick with DOT 4? what actually comes in the brakes?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You can't use dot 5. Your brakes will be very unhappy if you do that ;) Can't you just order? Motul dot 5.1 or rbf 600/660 work great. Avid fluid is crap imho.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
^^ like he said, don't use DOT 5. DOT 5 is like silicone based whereas dot 4 and 5.1 aren't or something like that (might be the other way around?). The wrong kind will eat your seals.

Just use regular DOT 4. Doubt you'll be able to tell much difference. And don't ever buy fluids/oils at bike shops, its the same stuff at car/moto places just twice the price for half the quantity.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
elixirs I believe come with DOT 5.1 but you can use DOT 4. If you have a Pep Boys close by, pick up some Castrol GT LMA. Its technically a DOT 4 brake fluid but it exceeds those standards. DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are cross compatible as mentioned above. DOT 5 is in fact silicone based and would ruin your seals.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you're going to do a full bleed on them, no reason not to use the Motul RBF600. Good stuff, and say goodbye to fading brakes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Why need to bleed? Cuz of air?

Without getting into details, you could try to just suck air out of the lever for a quick job. Do you have enough oil for that?

Quick explanation: You usually only have to suck the air out of the lever, if you've been riding for awhile (which lets the air rise to the lever) and perhaps have already done a full bleed (so you know its not the questionable factory bleed).

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
elixirs I believe come with DOT 5.1 but you can use DOT 4. If you have a Pep Boys close by, pick up some Castrol GT LMA. Its technically a DOT 4 brake fluid but it exceeds those standards. DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are cross compatible as mentioned above. DOT 5 is in fact silicone based and would ruin your seals.
I too almost made this near fatal mistake this week! Luckily the label the can also warned of the incompatibility with DOT 4.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
FYI, I used DOT 5 in my old Hopes for a year or so with no averse effects.

But yeah, you're not supposed to.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Interesting. What kind of frame is it that makes removing the shock more of a PITA than removing a brake line? (seriously)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Interesting. What kind of frame is it that makes removing the shock more of a PITA than removing a brake line? (seriously)
my Revolt. the linkage can be a pain sometimes to get aligned to get the shock bolt out.
i wanted to re-bleed the whole system anyway, so its not that big of a deal

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
This is an interesting thread.....

Last year I bled my Elixir CRs with DOT 5 after i changed a line and my brakes are doing well.

They have not exploded nor have the seals burst into flames yet....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
FYI, I used DOT 5 in my old Hopes for a year or so with no averse effects.

But yeah, you're not supposed to.
This is an interesting thread.....

Last year I bled my Elixir CRs with DOT 5 after i changed a line and my brakes are doing well.

They have not exploded nor have the seals burst into flames yet....

I wil say that will probably be the last time you guys bleed out your brakes without peices of seals coming out. Silicone easts up teh seals in a DoT system.

Originally Avid was using a DoT4.... Newer avids are using<higher end> a 5.1 factory.... Shop around, alot of times you can find higher boiling points in DoT4 over the 5.1 if you dont want to wait and order the good 5.1. Youll have no worries running a good DoT4 in the avids.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
I wil say that will probably be the last time you guys bleed out your brakes without peices of seals coming out. Silicone easts up teh seals in a DoT system.

Originally Avid was using a DoT4.... Newer avids are using<higher end> a 5.1 factory.... Shop around, alot of times you can find higher boiling points in DoT4 over the 5.1 if you dont want to wait and order the good 5.1. Youll have no worries running a good DoT4 in the avids.

Whats the time for this seal eating? shouldn't my brakes be leaking after a year of DOT 5 inside?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thanks kevin, i didnt look at the comparison chart.

if i cant pickup the DOT 4 from rollertoaster, im going to the local dirtbike shop for some crap today anyway and will check it out.

thanks all

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Motul 5.1 and be done w/ it.

Any moto or even go cart shop should have it.

Try not to cry when you see the dirty, water filled crap that comes out of those brakes.
been looking for that. i went to two moto shops, but apparently they went out of biz and i wish there was a gokart shop round these parts.

the main reason i want to do the bleed is to get the old crap outa there

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Whats the time for this seal eating? shouldn't my brakes be leaking after a year of DOT 5 inside?
What happens is the seals swell up. You dont always see the seals fall apart and just stop working in any type of timeline so to speak, whal youll def notice is if you take it apart, you wont get it back together again. As far as what youll feel, I can only equate it to automotive, seeing how I havent had this issue with bikes, Youll have what feels like normal brakes, all the way till it either swells up and you cant pull the lever anymore, or the seal will ahve swelled to the point it blows out..... Either way youll find a sudden loss of braking. If you want to see this more directly without waiting for it to happen, take an old DoT fluid style lever apart, and drop the seals in the DoT5... Check it in a day.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've a sort-of related question. what's the proper disposal method for all that fluid? I didn't want to pour it down the drain, so I have a few glass jars with dirty used fluid sitting taking up space on my shelves now.

any thoughts? bring it back to a motorsports shop?

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
I've a sort-of related question. what's the proper disposal method for all that fluid? I didn't want to pour it down the drain, so I have a few glass jars with dirty used fluid sitting taking up space on my shelves now.

any thoughts? bring it back to a motorsports shop?

Take it back to the moto shops or local garage check they do recycling, don;t just dump it, I always keep the original packs to dump the old oil./fluid into and take it for recycling.

With oil they way it its resources recycling is not only good for the environment but helps keep us going in the longer run.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Auto parts stores will almost all dispose of oil for you. PepBoys, VatoZone, Kragen, CarQuest, etc. If you do much motor or suspension or brake work, it's really convenient to have one of those jugs that doubles as a drain pan with a fill slot on the side.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
i run some Elixirs and they need a bleed it says use dot 4 and i cant find it anywhere. everyone says use dot 5.1 whats the differences and will it affect the ride
DOT4 and 5.1 have the same chemistry (polyglycol-ether) and therefore are compatible. The DOT5.1 specification requires a lower maximum viscosity for use in systems with smaller orifices (eg. ABS) which may also allow easier bleeding, while DOT4 is not quite as restricted. Without this restriction, the highend DOT4 fluids tend to have slightly higher boiling points (eg. Motul RBF series), but DOT5.1 fluids have quite high boiling points anyway.

Bottom line - either will work. Just don't use DOT5 (different chemistry, misleading name).

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
so the motul stuff is better than avid brand?

i need to bleed my code on my DJ, and ill have no problem tossing out my avid fluid with some better quality brake fluid :)

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
so the motul stuff is better than avid brand?

i need to bleed my code on my DJ, and ill have no problem tossing out my avid fluid with some better quality brake fluid :)
The Motul is said to be better and it's what I use typically, but I haven't had any problems with my bleeds using Avid's 5.1. What I find makes more of a difference is age of the fluid and how long the storage container has been sitting since it was first opened. The longer the fluid sits, the more water it absorbs from atmosphere. Water = bad

Last edited: