Quantcast

Aussie National DH Champ - FINAL RESULTS

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Motorcycle clothing needs to leave bicycles alone.

F%uck the below video is less gay than what some of these pommies are wearing.

Yep there's more than a few hilarious Power Ranger kids in those pics :busted:

Pommies are what Aussies call Brits BTW :)

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
Well it must have been my lucky day, i saw sam do 2 runs during practise on monday, he's a such a smooth rider.
That bike is soooo quiet, you only hear the tyres and thats it!.

Graves should also be named "mr muscle", my GF recons his ass belongs to a silverback gorilla.

Ragot would put most guys to shame through the rock gardens.

Fairclough had a front flat when i saw him, but was still going faster than most sport riders! wonder what he thought of the heat, must have been hard for him coming from the u.k winter.

Didn't see bryn, but saw someone else on a prototype fury. They may want to rethink their fashion sense.

Saw mick. "The destroyer" should be his nick name, raw power, i wonder how many frames he'll break this season. You can only ride into so many bumps so fast before something breaks.

Also saw an u19 rider become a passenger to fashion, i hope the five second ****up on the very first obsticle when your pants got hung up on your saddle because you insist on wearing them under your butt cheeks was a wakeup call, pull your pants up you git!.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
It's an Australian National mate not a US race... Pretty much as competitive as most WCs anyway... :)

As for Sam - he did friggen well to qualify where he did. He must have absolutely killed the top technical section of the track. Can guarantee he'll post the fastest split there most days.

Unfortunately, due to some gay UCI rule about the DH track having the same finish line as the 4X and XC, Stromlo has a finish that's 300 metres after the end of the downhill.

Why the organisers didn't move the XC finish to suit the DH instead of vice versa I don't know.
Im not from the US, boet(South African slang for "mate");). I understand the Aussie scene is very competitive but as competitive as a wc? I fail to see it, you have alot of pinners but two of the best aussies ever weren't there, and neither were most of the other racers that finnish top 10 at regular world cups(ie. Minnaar, Peat, Barel, Neetling, Pedemaud, Gee Atherton, Blenki etc.) You boys are good but dont run away with youselves.

As for Sam, I have no clue whats up with him. Maybe it was due to his lack of practice runs but it really shouldnt be because he knows the course from last year. We could continue to e-speculate all day but unless we know the facts, its pointless. I hope its not an indication of where he's going this season, which i doubt it is, because the competition this last season was great from the standpoint that any one of 5 or 6 guys could pull it out of the hat on the day unlike 07 when everyone knew who was gonna take home the bacon.

I hope you Aussies have been sufficiently prepared by our Proteas(our national cricket side for those who dont know) in the last few matches for the South African onslaught to come this year:busted: Dont say i didnt warn you.

cheers:cheers:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
^ must spread rep

That certainly raises the bar for "quote of the year" very early in the game.

-ska todd

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Im not from the US, boet(South African slang for "mate");). I understand the Aussie scene is very competitive but as competitive as a wc? I fail to see it, you have alot of pinners but two of the best aussies ever weren't there, and neither were most of the other racers that finnish top 10 at regular world cups(ie. Minnaar, Peat, Barel, Neetling, Pedemaud, Gee Atherton, Blenki etc.) You boys are good but dont run away with youselves.
Haha mate, just having a joke was all. Minaar was my odds-on favourite for Stromlo last year, and he'll certainly be a contender this year.

Wait and see how the season progressed I suppose - a lot of riders are on new teams and bikes, plus Graves and Hannah are making their return to DH.

As for Proteas? Well I only watch the 20-20 matches...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Someone on Farkin reckoned Sam tripped the gate and sat there for at least 5 seconds before taking off on his race run. Dunno why he'd do that, maybe just so he doesn't look like any kind of threat to the more powerful riders in the results or some weird mindgame like that... but his qualifying time would have placed him equal 2nd with Graves' race time, and about half a second off Hannah's winning race time. For those wondering, since he wasn't world champ last year, he was no longer guaranteed selection for this year's worlds team, so like all the other riders, he is expected to put in a good showing at the national events (champs/series).

Also worth remembering that despite his relatively poor result at Canberra last year, the two tracks he won the worlds on (Rotorua and Fort William) are both very pedally too. I don't doubt that he's been training like buggery to up his fitness as much as he can.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
From what you're saying Socket, maybe Sam is trying to not get selected for the World Champ team... :brow:

I'm not sure any of the top guys really want to race Canberra again...
I was thinking maybe he was trying to point out to selectors "hey look I can lay down a fast time" without attracting too much attention from his competitors by getting a good result in the final. I could be wrong, and I'm going completely off what is like 2nd/3rd hand information by now, so for all I know it could actually be BS.

Regardless, fact is that he DID put down a pretty respectable time in qualifying.