Quantcast

Aussie National DH Champ - FINAL RESULTS

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
knowing this forum, no one will look at the end of Quali Thread to find the results, so here they are! :D

1. Mick Hannah - 2:48.62
2. Jared Graves - 2:48.91
3=. Ben Cory - 2:53.82
3=. Amiel Cavalier - 2:53.82
5. Rick Boyer - 2:55.44
6. Bryn Atkinson - 2:55.77
7. Kaine Cannan - 2:55.94
8. Will Rischbieth - 2:56.15
9. Joshua Button - 2:57.10
10. Sam Hill - 2:57.53

Elite Women:
1. Emmeline Ragot - 3:15.59
2. Julia Boer - 3:27.89
3. Claire Whiteman - 3:29.53

Last edited:

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Is Mick Hannah still on a Mongoose in those photos? I still can't believe that Atkinson doesn't have a ride lined up yet, really hoping something happens for that guy even if it's just a bunch of small deals coming together to make up a Bryn/Jill team or something like that!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
looks like Hill went 9 seconds slower than seeding when most other riders went 2 or 3 seconds slower or the same.

probably a crash or a few mistakes during the run, but i don't think he could ever win there anyway.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
From jillkintner.com

Just talked to Bryn after he raced the Aussie National Downhill Mountain bike championships at Mt.Stromlo (which is also '09 World Championship Course). This track is not known for being on the tallest of hills, or for having any trees in proximity,,, but it did have huge head winds on the last straight, 45 sec of intense pedaling at the bottom, tons of fans, and 95degree temp. Brutal conditions by all accounts, but also a good test of fitness, threshold, and skill.

Mic Hannah won the qualifier and the Championship run after a yearlong hiatus from competition. He has always done super well on pedaling courses, and is a talented rider, so he must be stoked to come back to victory.

Bryn said he suffered like he has never felt before out there. I know that sea otter is one of those courses where you feel like throwing up and your body shuts down being able to function for 5 minutes, but I guess this was a bit more than that pain:) haha. Few mistakes and a 6th is a good start.

Most all the top Aussies were there, except Rennie and Kovarik. Think this weekend Kovarik and Claire were married, so good reason to miss it. Congrats guys!!. Rennie best man?:)

These results, along with some other factors go towards selecting the Aussie world's team.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hannah looked good in the pictures. I hope he also makes it to the US Open like he did a couple years ago. He is really fun to watch.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
why would I be kidding? This race was held on the 09 World Championship course, which is a "pedally" course. Fit riders like Minnaar, Hannah, Gee, etc.. have way better chances of winning on a course like this than Sam.
Supposedly Sam does train the "Pedaling" aspect of DH. Training that puts Nicolas Vouilloz to shame even.....it was reported here on this forum. :clue:

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Take a look at General Lees comment on page 1 for people talking about Sam. Sam qualified third with a time of 2:48 and obviously went 9 seconds slower in the race run. Like Lee said he probably wrecked or had something go wrong to slap 9 seconds on to his quali run. If he would have had his quali run as his race run he would have been top 3. Regardless he didnt put it together, but i highly doubt its because lack of training/effort and probably due to some sort of error in his race run.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
It's possible to be extremely fit and not powerful. Sam's no slacker but he's not built for hammering the pedals the way some other guys are, at least not in the way needed to gain time for 45 seconds on flat ground. But you don't win Ste. Anne, Ft. William (twice), or Rotorua without being in top condition.

i'll be surprised if he even makes the podium at worlds this year. even if the finish sprint is removed i don't think the course poses enough of a challenge for him to put time on everyone else the way he can on other, more proper tracks.

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
So are we going to see Graves back in the WC scene in 09, or is it just an Aussi nationals thing?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Even though its his worst track, surely he should have got better than 9th? Its a "only" a national and barely improved on his world cup result with a much higher standard of competition.
It's an Australian National mate not a US race... Pretty much as competitive as most WCs anyway... :)

As for Sam - he did friggen well to qualify where he did. He must have absolutely killed the top technical section of the track. Can guarantee he'll post the fastest split there most days.

Unfortunately, due to some gay UCI rule about the DH track having the same finish line as the 4X and XC, Stromlo has a finish that's 300 metres after the end of the downhill.

Why the organisers didn't move the XC finish to suit the DH instead of vice versa I don't know.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Graves is FULL ON World Cups this season. 4X AND DOWNHILL!

i think a lot of you are reading too much into Sam's "low" result. I personally don't think he would have won this race, but i also don't necessiarly think he was giving 100% on the entire track. We all know the "debate" in past seasons whether or not certain riders & sponsors wanting them to WIN the Aussie national championships. although they aren't required to wear a full on Aussie national jersey at the World Cups, i think some might not event want to add the armband to their kit.

again, taking nothing away from the top guys... since i don't necessarily think sam would have won this event.. but it's just food for thought. & don't underestimate Sam. we all know that this course doesn't suit his strengths... but the Worlds is a completely different game. I personally don't forsee him making the podium here... but i definitlely wouldn't count him out!

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
regarding pants... I haven't worn pants for DH in quite some time... been only for super muddy conditions.. & even then, i only wore them in practice. but i tested out the ones that Jared ran. i'm actually pretty impressed w/ the performance! (not trying to toot our own horn at nema... so you may think i'm biased) i think i might be running pants more often this summer!

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
was brought to my attention (i hadn't looked at all the photos yet), that Sam must have big crashes in both quali & final runs. his gear is "hella' dirty and must have had a good tumble on the ground!