Quantcast

Attn: Mt. Penn/Duryea riders

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
This is an open letter to those who are building more and bigger jumps at Mt.Penn/Duryea: Please stop. OK, that pissed everyone off, but please read on. I ride XC and DH and I love both of them. I'm not a "law and order" guy; I'm a "question authority" guy. But one thing I do know (and have seen evidence of in the past at Mount Gretna) is that if the people with power oppose you and your chosen sport, you will lose. I just rode past the new jumps on A-Line yesterday, and my first thought was "cool!" But later after talking to one of the guys who represents us bikers with the Reading Parks and Recreation authority I realized his point: the size and quantity of the jumps/obstacles being built on the mountain are bound to draw negative attention from people who manage the land. If any of the parks/rec management guys or gals sees those jumps the only thing they will think is "Liability!" Next thing you know they will shut down the parks to DH and XC, because they see no difference; we're all on bikes in the woods. I know it seems like no one in authority much cares about what goes on up there, but both the City and the County (who manage the area closer to Antietam Lake) have already enacted regulations limiting the use of the area for groups over 25 people. Mass quantities of shuttle riders at the Fire Tower parking lot on a past weekend brought a phone call of concern from park management to one of the mtb guys who represents us. Our days of anonymity at Mt. Penn are over, and the attention they pay us will only increase.

Anyhoo, not sure how to end this, so I guess I'll just ask that everyone that uses the Mt. Penn/Duryea area look at the big picture and act in a manner that ensures we can all ride there for a long, long time.
Thanks for reading.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
as much as i love riding the features up there that some friends are building, i agree 100%
im surprised the constant building hasnt drawn anymore attention...and im glad it hasnt

i am also surprised/glad that the major events ban @ Antietam isnt effecting the DH race since the Firetower is technically in Alsace twp

Last edited:

ruralrider

Chimp
Nov 22, 2011
NY
Agreed, a regular trail is incognito to the untrained eye. They will just assume a downhill trail is a challenging hiking trail and pay little attention to it. Everyone can recognize a jump when they see one, rider or not. To them especially landowners or officials a jump is almost whispering in their ear " Im ready to mess someone up, get your wallet out because ya gonna get sued". I know all real downhillers will never sue because most know its their own fault anyways. Leave the jumps and stuff like that for the bike parks or your own land and just enjoy some natural gnar!

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I believe the phone call was in reference to where we should park, and to not ride through the grass.

As much as I like to see new jumps and features built, the "happy ending" jump at the bottom of A-line is too close to the road and really shouldn't be there, and maybe should be removed bu the guys who built it. I don't really have a problem with the rest of the jumps on that trail, because most of them were already there and were more dangerous before than they are now. I understand why it may be calling negative attention and that nothing else should be built, but I'd like to be able to keep what is already there,

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
As much as I like to see new jumps and features built, the "happy ending" jump at the bottom of A-line is too close to the road and really shouldn't be there, and maybe should be removed bu the guys who built it. I don't really have a problem with the rest of the jumps on that trail, because most of them were already there and were more dangerous before than they are now. I understand why it may be calling negative attention and that nothing else should be built, but I'd like to be able to keep what is already there,
I agree with everything you say. That place rocks and I hope it's always available to us, with all the cool stuff.

Nov 17, 2004
as much as i love riding the features up there that some friends are building, i agree 100%
im surprised the constant building hasnt drawn anymore attention...and im glad it hasnt

i am also surprised/glad that the major events ba Alad @ Antietam isnt effecting the DH race since the Firetower is technically in Alsace twp
Firetower is not in Lower Alsase township it's in Reading,but nontheless things are blowing up here and it can be a good thing and am.working to keep the scene viable and sustainable.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I'm glad to hear that everything that has been built isn't for nothing. I was actually worried that the construction might have been overstepping some boundaries. Keep up the good work!

riderfalls

Chimp
Jun 15, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have registered for the DH race this year, and have never been down that way riding. Is it possible to come down on a weekend and ride? I live about 2 hours and don't really have any idea where it's at- I don't make it to Reading too much.

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Thank you RR!
The new jumps on A-Line have been made SAFER and have very visable go arounds for riders that feel they can't make the jumps. A-line is our version of the famous a-line at Whistler in BC. It is not for xc riders. There are more than enough trails for everyone to ride on Mt. Penn. The city and parks people know about what is being built up there and are very happy and impressed with what has been done.
wfoerk not sure who you are, but please don't include the entire riding community in Reading in your statement and opinion.
Hey man, I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Read my post again. I'm not criticizing the jumps in any manner. Don't start the "XC vs. DH" thing. This isn't about that. I'm not speaking for the entire riding community. I'm repeating an opinion of one guy that works really hard for riders at Mt. Penn, and like him, I believe that it could become a bigger issue. I'm sure you know who he is, and if all of your work has been OK'ed by parks and rec then let him know that. If indeed that is the case, then all of this will be moot, and that would be good.

rdgrider

Chimp
Feb 20, 2011
There usally are rides on the weekends weather permitting. Meet at the firetower around noonish. Stay tuned to the Duryea Dh fb and web pages for more info reguarding ride days.

rdgrider

Chimp
Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for clearing that up. I think we know the same person. The parks and rec hasn't okayed persay, but they kinda know about it. Things have happened in the past and the trails had to be rebuilt. No one wants a xc vs. dh thing we just want everyone to enjoy the trails.