Quantcast

Appliance du jour: FM receivers

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not to mention confusing frequency with velocity...
Given that we're talking about electrical circuits velocity should be assumed constant, and frequency of transmission along with the amount of data transmitted at a time should explain all, no?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the local Mcintosh dealer around the corner from me had this setup for demos and i was very unimpressed with their speakers, especially with how much they cost.
I've honestly never checked out their speakers. My old roommate used a few of their amps in his home setup and his car. I know the car amps were about $2500 each or some insane crap. If you ever get to see one opened up, they are damn impressive designs and quite pretty to look at. His car sounded pretty amazing, but they didn't sound $2k better than my Planet Audio tubes. :rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I've honestly never checked out their speakers. My old roommate used a few of their amps in his home setup and his car. I know the car amps were about $2500 each or some insane crap. If you ever get to see one opened up, they are damn impressive designs and quite pretty to look at. His car sounded pretty amazing, but they didn't sound $2k better than my Planet Audio tubes. :rofl:
i have an old amp and preamp thats about 30+ years old and its certainly built better than nearly everything on the market today.
their car stuff wasnt too bad but they really relied on their name (like nakamichi) to sell it. i was a dealer for their car stuff but trying to convince someone to buy their stuff over say a pair of Focal Uptopias was a hard sell.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i have an old amp and preamp thats about 30+ years old and its certainly built better than nearly everything on the market today.
their car stuff wasnt too bad but they really relied on their name (like nakamichi) to sell it. i was a dealer for their car stuff but trying to convince someone to buy their stuff over say a pair of Focal Uptopias was a hard sell.
I remember the Silverado 454 SS I helped my brother build using all Nakamichi (minus the amp since they didn't make a 100W needed for IASCA 100W pro class). Their speakers were pretty amazing, but we used Audio Control EQT's to dial it all in. But it was Nak 10's, 6.5's, 5.25's, 4", 3.5's and tweets plus deck and in dash EQ (flush mounted in the '89 Chevy dash no less). First time Nak was used at IASCA Nationals and we crushed it. :rofl:

But nobody ever bought that stuff, we became a dealer just because my brother wanted to build the SS using it.

Aaron had more money than brains sometimes, but he swore by his Mc gear.