Quantcast

Anyone use an Ochain thingy?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
@ChrisRobin It’s very easy to see the effects of the O-Chain in the DAQ as well as rider feedback. Many times we have to go up a spring rate.
Yeah, when I ran it I added LSC because the rear felt "squishier". I didn't think to try adding a spring rate.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
just go ride a bike
Beware of giving out that sort of advise around here. Some creepy little wanker is likely to pop in to make a snide judgement on other unconnected shit you may or may not do in your free time.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Legend goes that if you say "O-chain" 3 times in a row, Kidwoo will appear.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well I'll go as far to say @buckoW is legit...and Woo, you and I are in the grumpy club..we are going to get rocking chairs and shoot kids with pellet guns from our deck who get on our lawns...

Hell I'll even take pot shots at wife when she comes home from work...(will sleep with one eye open too)..if it gets too boring you and i can sit at each end of deck and shoot at each other...

Gives us better vantage and kids trying to run as well

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Wow. You’re getting pretty nasty lately.

I work with the Scott DH team since 2009. I just got back from Les Gets and did a bunch of setup/data with Marine Cabirou and Dylan Levesque. I’m very sorry but I can’t put up the data. I will stop making claims.
ALERT, ALERT, ALERT!!!

WE FOUND THE LIZZURD!!!

@Sandwich delete his account!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You expect to waive around credentials and just have everyone nod and go 'well, industry guy says....'

Probably not news to you but many of us who ride bikes tired of that long ago because many of us realized that so many of the people doing this are fucking morons who just wanted to sell snake oil. So if you're going to wag credentials then waive the thing that gives you credibility. Don't brag about someone you work with collecting data if 1. you don't understand it yourself or 2. you don't actually want people to see it

Go test a bike with and without a clutch derailleur. And then with an ochain with and without a clutchy derailleur and compare. If you've done that then talk about it instead of just getting defensive.....because that makes it look like you actually haven't. Not a picture of a singlespeed tensioner, the thing we're actually talking about on a bike with a derailleur.

The last time someone with something to sell bike customers said 'trust' it looked like this, which speaks for itself

View attachment 200393

I'm testy because you don't seem capable of discussing this stuff without some dumbass "bUt yOu dOnT rAcE wOrLd cUpS bRo"

Newsflash: neither do the people who design this shit
Hey I remember that fork

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was messing around with my shock and an idea popped into my head for a method to test if I too suffer from pedal kick back and a possible solution.

BRB

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Old single pivot XC bike is the only thig that would fit on the trainer without a lot more work than I was willing to do.

Worst case scenario in granny gear. Let out a bunch of air in the shock so I could move it as fast as possible. Static text shows it is capable of pedal kickback by significant crank motion. Then got the rear rolling , SLOWLY, no perceptible crank motion. I can repeat this a bunch of times with the same results.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
TLDR: Am I accompishing the same thing by riding bikes
with only low to moderate chain growth, - helps all the time
a 36t ratchet ring, - helps sometimes
and descending in the 3rd smallest cog? - helps more the further down the cassette you can run (on bikes with like 28 degrees PK in 32-50, it drops to like 14 degrees in 10th cog)
see breakdown above

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
see breakdown above
Thanks. I'm always torn on which cog feels like it makes descending the smoothest.

4th from smallest keeps a nice amount of chain tension and holds the chain farther from the chain and seat stays, so less chain noise and least chance of skipping/derailment (I'd never descend in a larger cog because it's too low a gear and I assumed too much chain tug). I use this when speeds aren't too high and I might need to power out of a turn. Because the chain is so secure & quiet and the gear is low enough that I won't bog if I slow down, this is might be my favorite descending cog on the trail bikes, but I'm thinking to minimize kickback I should be going a cog higher whenever speeds allow.

3rd from the smallest is a nice gear when speeds come up, but you still have some torque. There's still enough chain tension that I don't get skipping and the chain isn't too close to the frame, but it's definitely noiser than the next bigger cog. I probably use this most on the DH bike.

2nd from smallest I use when I need to pedal on a very fast section, but getting onto the power over rough stuff I'm not surprised if it skips a moment. (I think the chain easily hops partway onto the neighboring cog while coasting.) There's a lot of chain slap noise.

Smallest cog I only use for roads. Too tall to make any torque, chain very close to the chainstay, very little chain tension and so few teeth engaged I'd expect it to skip over bumps.

My trail bikes are 29" Sram 11spd 34x10-42. DH bike is 29" Sram 7spd 36x10-25. (I wish these cassettes ended in 11, rather than 10t.)

What's your favorite descending cog?

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
wish these cassettes ended in 11, rather than 10t.)
That'd be easily fixed by swapping Freehub to HG and fitting shimano (11spd) cassettes. (I'm led to believe SRAM XD DH is 11spd spacing)

34x15 and 36x15 is generally my preferred gearing on technical twisty descents only changing up when required for motorway style sections and jumps.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Thanks. I'm always torn on which cog feels like it makes descending the smoothest.

4th from smallest keeps a nice amount of chain tension and holds the chain farther from the chain and seat stays, so less chain noise and least chance of skipping/derailment (I'd never descend in a larger cog because it's too low a gear and I assumed too much chain tug). I use this when speeds aren't too high and I might need to power out of a turn. Because the chain is so secure & quiet and the gear is low enough that I won't bog if I slow down, this is might be my favorite descending cog on the trail bikes, but I'm thinking to minimize kickback I should be going a cog higher whenever speeds allow.

3rd from the smallest is a nice gear when speeds come up, but you still have some torque. There's still enough chain tension that I don't get skipping and the chain isn't too close to the frame, but it's definitely noiser than the next bigger cog. I probably use this most on the DH bike.

2nd from smallest I use when I need to pedal on a very fast section, but getting onto the power over rough stuff I'm not surprised if it skips a moment. (I think the chain easily hops partway onto the neighboring cog while coasting.) There's a lot of chain slap noise.

Smallest cog I only use for roads. Too tall to make any torque, chain very close to the chainstay, very little chain tension and so few teeth engaged I'd expect it to skip over bumps.

My trail bikes are 29" Sram 11spd 34x10-42. DH bike is 29" Sram 7spd 36x10-25. (I wish these cassettes ended in 11, rather than 10t.)

I too think 4th or 3rd gear is best for descending. Most trails here don't have the length or straight sections to really warrant needing to going to the smallest cog.

When I have run in the smallest two cogs on chunky trails, I find there the chain slap is annoying as well. Plus sometimes I catch the chain trying to come off the front chainring at the bottom.

I've descended some slower technical trails in the lower gears on my Banshee Titan and haven't noticed any chain tug.......I did notice when the derailleur smacked a rock in a corner, though. Thats enough reason there to try and go up a gear. :busted:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I used to do 4th smallest but moved to 3rd smallest last year trying to minimize PK/chain growth. Like you said, most of the trails I ride don't need any pedaling downhill, and those that do, 2nd & 1st smallest are too stiff. So I'm running 32x14 I think.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Fwiw, my old Remedy and my Spartan definitely have kickback. Is it cause they're split pivot or something? Though the worst by far is my hardtail.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I spent a decent amount of time explaining to the dad he'd be able to buy a brand new bike far more suitable for his 10yr old to ride around on for a fraction of what it'd cost him to get this thing safe to ride. Nevermind back to a good standard.
I'm a parent you muppet
Gary,just to ask about the frame. Was that the Trek that Andrew Shandrow had a lot of input on? What is the name of the Frame,I forgot? That frame is Very Heavy if memory serves me. I remember Andrew riding it in videos,most being in BC. I remember Gary.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
You’re welcome! Thanks for sharing your experiences too.

And to everybody else. @kidwoo and I have met in person and ridden together once. We respect each other. All good. Agree to disagree…
Fuck kidwoo buckoW. You done said you were sorry more than enough. No Monkeys want to stop that nasty exchange? buckoW one of the coolest cats on this site. The man who is on the scene? Builds,or helps build WC tracks and has hands on to the Bikes and Riders? You Monkeys would rather see how it plays out,rather than step up and say somthing.

Talkin all the shit to me woo,reading what you say, I try to be positive no matter. You are anngry Brother,like you said to Avy,go get help.

Avy

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fuck kidwoo buckoW. You done said you were sorry more than enough. No Monkeys want to stop that nasty exchange? buckoW one of the coolest cats on this site. The man who is on the scene? Builds,or helps build WC tracks and has hands on to the Bikes and Riders? You Monkeys would rather see how it plays out,rather than step up and say somthing.

Talkin all the shit to me woo,reading what you say, I try to be positive no matter. You are anngry Brother,like you said to Avy,go get help.

Avy
Hey at least I'm no woman in a position of power right? I mean you know how they all got there.

Like Harris. I thought she was Proper? She ain’t proper,fucking her way up. Don’t get Avy started how she handled the Catholic molestation case. This dumb ass drug taking Wench!

Avy

Last edited:

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Yeah, when I ran it I added LSC because the rear felt "squishier". I didn't think to try adding a spring rate.
Yep i went up a rate. 25lb

To the critics…. Cough Kidwoo… mate ( im Aussie ), it works. Clutch no clutch dont know didnt test. I like my sram dh derailleur but i know i like my Ochain. I can absolutely tell it works. Also Fatigue levels in ankles and knees are better.
I also use Stfu rubber guides as well.
Also Kidwoo eat a Snickers bud. I dont post often but ive hung around since the IronHorse tuning thread was a Pup. But it does turn me off the sourness displayed in hear…. And im a salty bugger!

BuckoW i appreciate your posts. Keep them coming please.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
it works. Clutch no clutch dont know didnt test.
And if you bothered to read what some of us have been saying about this, you'd know that whether or not there's even anything to work against depends entirely on the bike design.

And hey, my bad, I thought after 20 years of posting leverage curves, antisquat curves, discussions of gearing and how chainline angles affect these things people knew to look at that shit before buying a bike. Because for the nth time, well designed bikes don't need this stuff.

I dont post often but ive hung around since the IronHorse tuning thread was a Pup.
Good so you remember some of the nonsense weagle would babble when someone would bring up a very valid criticism of something he'd claimed. He'd do essentially what buckow did that annoys me so much. "well we have a fast guy racing world cups therefore nothing you say matters". That's the most basic brained chickenshit response anyone could ever give. It's a little window into how people who sell bike shit think this whole community works: get a fast person on your new little gadget and nothing else matters. Yes that annoys the hell out of me.

And if you're going to talk about data then do it. I was actually curious about some of that data acquisition info regarding clutch vs non-clutch derailleurs. I genuinely would like to hear even a summary statement about that data. Because adding drag to the derailleur spring is the one factor that brings resistance to chain wrap back into the fold on even a well designed bike. Same with braking and the fact that no one seems to even address this specifically speaks volumes.

Now I'm not even sure they even collected it. They just want you to think they collected it, like some mysterious lab full of genius that no one else can understand. It's bragging with nothing behind it other than "we have a fast person"

Buckow is a fast person as well. So are some of the rest of us. And we're the ones being sold something, so at the end of the day, what mr/ms world cup thinks of it doesn't matter. We are the market. Buckow and I are fine, like he said. But he also just gets way more excited about new shit than I do.

You should also notice that the other person downplaying this system is a practicing paid mechanical engineer. And not one in the half assed bike industry.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Gary,just to ask about the frame. Was that the Trek that Andrew Shandrow had a lot of input on? What is the name of the Frame,I forgot? That frame is Very Heavy if memory serves me. I remember Andrew riding it in videos,most being in BC. I remember Gary.

Avy
Trek Diesel. High pivot with pulley, 10.5x3.5" shock, frame weight measured in stone to save page space.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Are you trying to tell me that these cool anti-vibration stickers that the Commencal team ran were not working? :eek: ;)

well that's a dh bike on dh world cups so obviously it does

edit: holy shit they're still around :rofl:

hey, who doesn't like improved sensations!

improvedsensations.JPG

Last edited: