Quantcast

Anyone use an Ochain thingy?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Who had the tube spacer on their freehub so they could do rollbacks without the cranks spinning?
aaron chase

Last edited:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
widgets like this ain't going to make any meaningful difference to our (ie, not top tier pro racer) plebian experiences. if you've got excess $$ to throw at gadgets for funsies, by all means have at it, but let's be honest here.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
widgets like this ain't going to make any meaningful difference to our (ie, not top tier pro racer) plebian experiences. if you've got excess $$ to throw at gadgets for funsies, by all means have at it, but let's be honest here.
True, but I'll even go so far as to say that logic is nonsense. There's an entire world between hack and loic bruni and most of us inhabit various rungs on that ladder. Some higher than others and maybe chris is up there. Even the fastest dude in the world isn't going to benefit from this because it's made for antiques the gullible mtb market.

Chris even posted his very sane antisquat numbers for his bike for some unspecified gearing earlier in this thread. It ain't gonna do shit other than make pedaling feel like a wet turd, because he doesn't have a poorly designed bike. Taking off that clutch derailleur if he has one will help his suspension more.

What no one seems ready to admit is that when you're mashing pedals for speed, you're obviously on something smooth. You WANT that rear wheel driving down. One of the biggest reasons that cannondale failed as a dirtbike company is because they didn't realize this, and built a bike with little to no antisquat. By all accounts, it sucked because there was no drive there, even though theoretically it was allowing the suspension to work better under load. There's benefit in using that stiffening up of the rear end.

The only people that worry about pEdAl kIcKbAcK either have a janky bike, or are what I call cyclists...people who expect to be able to pedal anywhere and everywhere without noticing anything. That rear end extension under load is good, as long as it's not overdone.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
As a guy that rides a digressive single pivot with the shock locked out most of the time I really think the O Chain would be of great benefit to my riding experience.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
elastomer pedal spindles just entered the offza lineup

eliminates pedal kickback, brake jack, antisquats, uncle squats, and at least one other thing I'll make up before midnight, loosely based in theory that I'll exaggerate, and largely designed out of modern bikes. It will also completely eliminate the need to learn how to ride a bicycle

deposits are being taken now!

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
elastomer pedal spindles just entered the offza lineup

eliminates pedal kickback, brake jack, antisquats, uncle squats, and at least one other thing I'll make up before midnight, loosely based in theory that I'll exaggerate, and largely designed out of modern bikes. It will also completely eliminating the need to learn how to ride a bicycle

deposits are being taken now!
Spindles on eccentric bearings.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Keeps my feet planted on pedals more than not running it. My manged knees feel better longer too with Ochain device.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As someone who only ever rides in normal skate shoes on flat pedals with short pins I struggle to understand how stealth rubber wearing riders have issues keeping their feet in place at all. Tried various 5:10s and after others telling me they are less grippy Spesh F20, vibram & michelin soles and they're all far too grippy for me. ie. I struggle to adjust my foot position while wearing them. They're also all too stiff meaning they give next to no feel/feedback from the pedals compared to what I'm used to.

I've assumed you're talking about flat pedals and also assumed you'll use sticky soled shoes as it's extremely rare to see any other flat pedal mtb rider these days NOT wearing sticky soled mtb shoes. I totally notice that shit.

Ps. sticky soles are also way worse for my dodgy ol' knees.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As someone who only ever rides in normal skate shoes on flat pedals with short pins I struggle to understand how stealth rubber wearing riders have issues keeping their feet in place at all. Tried various 5:10s and after others telling me they are less grippy Spesh F20, vibram & michelin soles and they're all far too grippy for me. ie. I struggle to adjust my foot position while wearing them. They're also all too stiff meaning they give next to no feel/feedback from the pedals compared to what I'm used to.

I've assumed you're talking about flat pedals and also assumed you'll use sticky soled shoes as it's extremely rare to see any other flat pedal mtb rider these days NOT wearing sticky soled mtb shoes. I totally notice that shit.

Ps. sticky soles are also way worse for my dodgy ol' knees.

elastomer shoes! Good call!

I bet thick socks give as much benefit as an ochain

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I bet thick socks give as much benefit as an ochain
I'm Scottish. I ride mtb in 2 pairs of socks all year round.
One thin pair of sport socks with seal skin style waterproof socks over them.
I also never do my shoe laces up tight. (even clipped in)
You might be onto something regarding comfort... Who knew? :blink:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This should be posted in this thread:

Fair warning, this guy is f*cking insane. Bonus points if you post it pretending to actually be helpful.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Fair warning, this guy is f*cking insane. Bonus points if you post it pretending to actually be helpful.
Oh wow.
People like that...
I'd ask him if he's ever bothered with trying to learn how to actually ride a bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

At least those things actually do something, they are just dumb and make no sense for actual mountain bikes. Probably good for say turning a road bike into a casual commuter for a non-rider.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
keep in mind we're talking about a field of athletes that put "heat dissipating" stickers on their suspension and brakes not too long ago. I mean hey, it must work or else they're wouldn't be so many doing it!
Who are these athletes and what's the correlation o-chain? Could you explain like I'm five?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
how convincing :rofl:

keep in mind we're talking about a field of athletes that put "heat dissipating" stickers on their suspension and brakes not too long ago. I mean hey, it must work or else they're wouldn't be so many doing it!
Was that before or after the vibration damping stickers?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
box it up and get me a price
Sorry Tink.
_20230717_102640.JPG

It's gone! Hopefully to "better kids"

I did actually get a quote for shipping it to you.
$400
You'd have to be fucking deluded to have paid that for it anyway!
When you could have spent that money on a fabulous new O-chain

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
how convincing :rofl:

Don't forget the balance bands.
Edit Oooh, titanium.
Screenshot_20230717-222914.png

Made with pure titanium, not from, wonder what the rest is?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sorry Tink.
View attachment 197269
It's gone! Hopefully to "better kids"

I did actually get a quote for shipping it to you.
$400
You'd have to be fucking deluded to have paid that for it anyway!
When you could have spent that money on a fabulous new O-chain
that's almost worth fixing it up and getting it back to a kid that lives near ft bill just to humiliate you

oh well.......who sells these ochain things? I guess I have no choice but to own one.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Well, I did.