Quantcast

Anyone running $178 chinese carbon rims for DH yet? light-bicycle.com

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
note to self: dont air into rock sections with 25psi in singleply tires :redface:

thats what you call a carbon flatspot..

tubeless still mounts up fine..its just in the beadhook and dosnt go into the rim bed..as long as they crash replace it at least ill be stoked..ill just run this one till it explodes and then have a backup..

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
how does one ride with 25psi? id roll that **** right off the rim......and have.
I could never run sub 30 on my old rims..these things at 33mm wide provide allot of sidewall support..night and day difference from my old wheels..

not to mention around here its super loose with zero berms..on the one or two turns where there is a berm and some solid dirt it can be an issue..I usually dont run em that low but I aired down a little too much..punctured and cracked the wheel..ive been running 28-30 in the rear and 25 or 26 up front..on my old wheels I would usually run 32-35 in the rear and 30 or 32 up front..

it was actually on the bottom of this trail
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Mobbing-Tunnel-Trail-with-Ben-Cruz-and-Marco-Osborne,24880/iceman2058,94

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've never been able to run the ultra-low pressures that people boast about while tubeless and whatever. Sure, I may not flat, but I will sure as hell dent a rim. Not worth it.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Have my Syntace MX W35's built, Hope Pro 2 EVO 40T and Super Comp DT's -- about a pound less per wheel over my MTX Clone S-Types. Those were 35mm wide (how I don't know) but the W35 have much larger inner-width with them. Seated my tires w/ 40psi, and it's much-harder of pressure than the other rims. Yeah it depends alot on tires and I run tubes, but I am quite stoked how there's air volume to go with the air pressure.

...no rides yet. Vermont has like, eighty snowstorms in the forecast next week....

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I recently built up a set of the 35mm 650b rims. Three rides in and love them. I've been hammering on them pretty hard (and I'm a 200lb rider). I'm running 26 psi tubeless and have yet to ding a rim (was running 30 on my 26" wheels and I would bottom out rim on rocks at speed). I'll probably re check the tension on them this week and see how they are handling the abuse.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
These rims are holding up well. Re-tensioned once after 10hrs of riding, then checked again after another 10hrs. I have been beating the crap out of them, several high speed crashes, lots of rocks, even airing into rock gardens. They have shrugged it all off without whimper. Now I just need to come up with enough money to put them on my other three bikes.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
yea mine have been great..

bashing them almost daily...aside from that little incident that I posted a pic of they have been flawless...they also sent me a new one for 40$

im not even going to lace it..the crack hasnt grown and still holds air fine...if you want stiff strong wheels it would be silly to buy something else

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
since this is the defacto carbon rim thread, in the Nomad launch materials, they mention a new wheelset from Enve. Is there any info on that? I guess it's called the M70 rim.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I swear, I'm usually moar smarter than this ...

How does a 'hookless' bead work to retain a tire, tubeless tire specifically?
Who of you are using this setup, and how is it working??

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005

Ive got some 650b 35mm hookless on the way...pretty stoked to try em.. 50gs lighter than the 26" 33mm Im running now which I dont expect to be a problem..even if they dont hold up light bikes sent me a replacement for my operator error damage on my 26"ers for 40$ Cant beat that

will see how they do..i dont usually run tubless tires..just regular tires with sealant..never burped but Im hoping I dont have to switch to actually tubeless tires..

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007

Probably same way as on motorcycles and cars.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I just ordered another set of the 650b 35mm wheels for my process 134. And 2 sets of rims for my riding buddies. The testing continues.
Even if these rims only last 6 months, it still will be equivalent in $ to what I was spending in aluminum rims, and it'll be less time in front of a truing stand.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Probably same way as on motorcycles and cars.
This. The Derby/Ibis rims have bead locks on the rim bed just like Mavic UST rims. It is hard to break the lock even with completely deflated tires. Rim hooks make sidewalls thin and prone to breakage, hookless rims are much stronger.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

my understanding is that when force is exerted on a tire, it's under cornering, and to a certain extent braking loads. The direction of the force being exerted on the tire's bead while the tire is on the ground is inwards (towards the center of the rim) and downwards (towards the ground). A bead hook above and outside the bead isn't adding much. The bead lip in the rim bed helps prevent the bead from slipping loose and burping air under cornerning.

that's my understanding anways. I guess my biggest concern is whether the less-wide edge will cut into tires and tubes more when pinching...

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
what tires are you running with your 35mm hookless??
Not sure if you asking me but I am currently running Vee Rubber Fluid 2.4 front / Kenda Honey Badger 2.2 rear. Before that it was Trail Taker 2.4 front, Hans Dampf 2.25 SS rear.

Here's the Fluid on Derby.

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Not sure if you asking me but I am currently running Vee Rubber Fluid 2.4 front / Kenda Honey Badger 2.2 rear. Before that it was Trail Taker 2.4 front, Hans Dampf 2.25 SS rear.

Here's the Fluid on Derby.
are those "tubeless ready"?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am not sure if they are officially sanctioned for tubeless application but I have been riding mine with a homebrew sealant for a while and never had any problems.

Juddos

Chimp
Feb 13, 2010
Are you tubeless guys having luck with gorilla tape?

Have 2 sets of these rims on the way i anticipate to be tubeless...

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
I used regular 25mm yellow tape, with wtb vigilante tyres it was the least painful tubeless install I've ever fitted. I even tried without sealant on a bare rim and it held pressure for a day or so.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I used to use 1" Gorilla tape with a LB rim and it worked just fine. Ehen I switched to Derbys I used a 22.5mm wide Roval blue tape. The Gorilla tape is a biatch to remove, it leaves a lot of goo behind.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I used regular 25mm yellow tape, with wtb vigilante tyres it was the least painful tubeless install I've ever fitted. I even tried without sealant on a bare rim and it held pressure for a day or so.
yup same here..

just taped em with yellow tape then put about a 5" long strip of gorilla tape over valvestem area...just make sure to poke a tiny hole for the valve stem.

then just two cups of stans sealant and inflate the tire (with a compressor, occasionally with the valve core out) Has always worked fine for me..

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Does anyone else make wide (35mmish) 29er rims other than Derby? I'm subconsciously allowing my rims to be destroyed so I can relace my E.13 hubs up with some wide Carbon rims.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Are you tubeless guys having luck with gorilla tape?

Have 2 sets of these rims on the way i anticipate to be tubeless...
i dont have these hoops. but i went the gorilla tape / 949 valve method on my poor man alloy hoops.. no cut tube, and it works great!

i would recommend if you dont mind shaving a little off the 949 valve.

edit:
im sure someone is going to ask what the hell im talking about:
http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/threaded-schrader-valve-ghetto-tubeless-621638-2.html#post6952764

Last edited:

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Had a wild thought lately, after seeing this thread. I've got an Easton Havoc 2012 wheelset that would need some love soon in the form of new rims. Easton told me a price for their rims, but i am afraid they'd kill me with the postage costs. So, LB offers their rims in 24- and 28-spokes versions - ideal for the Easton hubs. Of course, the nipples would not be the Easton speciffic ones, but more regular ones. So the question is - as a whole, is my idea of converting the Havoc wheelset into a carbon one good or bad? :)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
No one has run these rims with such a low spoke count so you'd be guinea pigging it. Having said that they should be stronger and stiffer than the stock alloy rims and have shown that they can take a lot of tension. I've always been weirded out by low spoke count wheels so if it were me I'd get some normal hubs to lace 32 3x to these rims. Moar stiff and can be ridden with 1 missing spoke.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
No one has run these rims with such a low spoke count so you'd be guinea pigging it. Having said that they should be stronger and stiffer than the stock alloy rims and have shown that they can take a lot of tension. I've always been weirded out by low spoke count wheels so if it were me I'd get some normal hubs to lace 32 3x to these rims. Moar stiff and can be ridden with 1 missing spoke.
I have a pair of 28hole, 35mm, 27.5 rimz going to get laced up to some dt240's. Should be a good time.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
@Lelandjt - I've ridden the back wheel without a spoke (i snapped it during a DH run) for some time, had absolutely no problems. And this is with the original Easton rim.
Not getting different hubs - i quite like the Easton ones and am not willing to change them. Also, i am not afraid of the lower spoke number - the hubs are for strait spokes which can be tightened a lot more than regular j-bend spokes. :) And i guess LB did their math when deciding to produce their rims with 24 and 28 holes. :) I realise i'll be a guinea pig - but the tease is a big one. :D