Quantcast

Anyone running $178 chinese carbon rims for DH yet? light-bicycle.com

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Your only weave options are the last visual layer..

Unidirectional you cant see the weave of the cloth..they just look flat black..

heavier the weave the smaller the squares..

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
armchair engineer questions:
wouldn't a totally stiff rim be less forgiving on impact and thus more prone to crack on impact?
also, wouldn't a noodly wheel be a result of the build, spoke tension, or even tires than the rim itself?
i guess a whole 50g per wheel might have a slight effect on acceleration, but would carry momentum once going?
Not trying to be a dick, just pondering...

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
no just cosmetic...
well not really.......I am simplifying this because i could go into a really long theory about composites but quite frankly i have real work to do!

In theory your outermost layer carries the most load. So if you put a weave there you are effectively using half the fiber ratio in the correct orientation. However i have observed when using the same layup and just tossing a layer of cloth ( no shit adding more layers helps) on the outside for cosmetic reasons, that impact values go up significantly.

They are compression molding the hook less part of the rim so smashing another layer in there will not optimize the fiber resin ratio. I went with the UD just for this reason, I assumed they did there homework, but after receiving the rims and how mine failed, they just tossed carbon at it and hoped it worked.

I highly doubt LB optimized there layups, based on my layup analysis of how my rim cracked and the propagation of the crack. There layup schedule was suspect in the area that mine broke, looks like they even forgot a ply or 2. If they really are using t700 with a toughened resin they are using some of the best commercially available fibers for the job they are picking.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
well not really.......I am simplifying this because i could go into a really long theory about composites but quite frankly i have real work to do!

In theory your outermost layer carries the most load. So if you put a weave there you are effectively using half the fiber ratio in the correct orientation. However i have observed when using the same layup and just tossing a layer of cloth ( no shit adding more layers helps) on the outside for cosmetic reasons, that impact values go up significantly.

They are compression molding the hook less part of the rim so smashing another layer in there will not optimize the fiber resin ratio. I went with the UD just for this reason, I assumed they did there homework, but after receiving the rims and how mine failed, they just tossed carbon at it and hoped it worked.

I highly doubt LB optimized there layups, based on my layup analysis of how my rim cracked and the propagation of the crack. There layup schedule was suspect in the area that mine broke, looks like they even forgot a ply or 2. If they really are using t700 with a toughened resin they are using some of the best commercially available fibers for the job they are picking.
this fucking guy, acts like hes someone who knows something. Go back to picking up dog poop buddy.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I highly doubt LB optimized there layups,
Thats why their rims are 800$ less than enve's

When I asked about the weave they said all the layups were the same and the choice in weave was just for the last visual layer...

I know what you're saying but I'm pretty sure you are just picking what weave they are going to slap in the mold first..

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Thats why their rims are 800$ less than enve's

When I asked about the weave they said all the layups were the same and the choice in weave was just for the last visual layer...

I know what you're saying but I'm pretty sure you are just picking what weave they are going to slap in the mold first..
yea, homie asked if its helps strength and i just wanted to break it down a bit, because it CAN help, just not here.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
hey hey, that was a miss-understanding. The i didnt know being pissed on by an an monkey in a rodeo clown outfit was frowned upon.

if jeasus can judge, so can i.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
jesus, when did you turn into such a rag? :thumbsdown:

If what he posted is incorrect, feel free to deliver knowledge.
Thanks for being magnanimously dense. Roger and I had fun. Turned a stupid thread about knock-off shit into something entertaining.

If you havent, you should sign up for MTBR. I think you'll get along fantastically there. Also roger cant podium, its against his religion.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Thanks for being magnanimously dense. Roger and I had fun. Turned a stupid thread about knock-off shit into something entertaining.

If you havent, you should sign up for MTBR. I think you'll get along fantastically there. Also roger cant podium, its against his religion.
:stosh:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So in that Dirt video... that Box guy says that he's on the 3rd season on the same set of rims, so that's saved him 6 wheel builds. That leads me to ask... don't the spokes also fatigue in a carbon rim?

A couple of rides ago, for the first time ever, I had spoke failure at the j-bend. This was the first time I've "worn out" a wheel rather than killing it by denting or otherwise wrecking the rim. I was cranking up a hill, and as I crested, I heard a ping, and the spoke shot up through my yellow tape and I got a flat. The wheel was built in the fall of 2012, King hubs to Flow EX, brass nips and Sapim double butted spokes. I figured the rim had a good life, and since I had a new Spank Oozy 295 sitting around, had that built up.

My point is, the guy says that the carbon rims are a value since you save on wheel builds, but wouldn't you have to replace spokes and nips anyways, just as a result of material fatigue?

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Have the same rim in the "DH" version on the way...was hesitant to add 50gs to the rear wheel but I guess we will see how it holds up