Quantcast

Anyone live (or lived) in or near Greenville, NC?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
I think I got some pics of my old house somewhere at home.......I'll post them if I can find them....

Yep 97,000

fire place, tray ceilings, vaulted ceilings, 0.35 acres, huge master bedroom, walk-in closets, front covered porch spanning the whole front of the house, back deck, etc. etc......

real estate down here is cheap when you are used to someplace like NYC or Cali......

my new house was a total steal as well........

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Lived here most of it. Bounced around a bit after college, but ended up back here. Couldn't get all that stuff in one state anywhere else......except for maybe Cali. But, you couldn't PAY me to live in Cali. Spent two weeks out there and damn near had a nervous breakdown. Thay's some crazy-ass people out there!!! New York is like Club Med compared to Cali---at least with New Yorker's, you know exactly where you stand with them.....they'll either love ya or hate ya. And tell you so, too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
Lived here most of it. Bounced around a bit after college, but ended up back here. Couldn't get all that stuff in one state anywhere else......except for maybe Cali. But, you couldn't PAY me to live in Cali. Spent two weeks out there and damn near had a nervous breakdown. Thay's some crazy-ass people out there!!! New York is like Club Med compared to Cali---at least with New Yorker's, you know exactly where you stand with them.....they'll either love ya or hate ya. And tell you so, too.
I was out in San Fran in Aug, I totally hear ya with not knowing where you stand with them. The whole state lives like they were on The O.C.

BrianHCM and his wife were pretty cool, actually seemed like they weren't from Cali.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stosh said:
I've was out in San Fran in Aug, I totally hear ya with not knowing where you stand with them. The whole state lives like they were on The O.C.

BrianHCM and his wife were pretty cool, actually seemed like they weren't from Cali.

yeah but are they NorCal or SoCal?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
biggins said:
yeah but are they NorCal or SoCal?
NorCal!

I thought Norcal was weirder but I didn't get out among the "people" a lot when I was in Socal.

My uncle would refer to crimes as California crimes like the whole circus that's going on now with whats his face.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yeah....that's what I really liked about New York. The directness of their feelings towards a subject. Anytime you left a conversation with a native, you were absolutely clear as to what was going on. Same goes for Jersey, too. I liked those guys.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
what do you monkies think of the RTP area? I see everyone is harping on Charlotte and Greenville. Im yet another knucklehead who has been looking to move to the area and Im in the techie biz (computer hardware stuff) and looks like this place has the highes concentration of qualifiable jobs as well as some good schools to get my masters in. I was at an interview in Myrtle Beach over the weekend and didnt really like the area. On the beach was far too toursity and 5 miles outside of the beach was like walking into the prototypical southern poo' town with nothing to do besides play a zillion rounds of golf or to kill me some vittles with tah there shotgun.
Is this area more metropolitan with more stuff to do? We have been thinking of checking out Charlotte area but there just arent enough jobs for me to even bother looking

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I'm just outside the RTP area.....slightly west of it by a few miles. Lots of folks have moved into our town in the last ten years that work in the RTP. It's hard to watch all those fields and woods get ripped down in the name of such progress, but the housing industry is where my paycheck comes from, so I have only a small amount of wiggle room for bitching about it. :thumb:

The RTP-area has a lot of new trails going in. There's a sizeable roadie population as well. New Light, Little River, Tar River, Clayton.....lots of them to choose, and that's just a small percentage of them.

FYI: Dell Computers announced today that they have decided to officially locate a manufacturing plant in NC. 2,300-plus jobs. That will take the sting out of a recent string of large-scale manufacturing closures in our state.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
I'm just outside the RTP area.....slightly west of it by a few miles. Lots of folks have moved into our town in the last ten years that work in the RTP. It's hard to watch all those fields and woods get ripped down in the name of such progress, but the housing industry is where my paycheck comes from, so I have only a small amount of wiggle room for bitching about it. :thumb:

The RTP-area has a lot of new trails going in. There's a sizeable roadie population as well. New Light, Little River, Tar River, Clayton.....lots of them to choose, and that's just a small percentage of them.

FYI: Dell Computers announced today that they have decided to officially locate a manufacturing plant in NC. 2,300-plus jobs. That will take the sting out of a recent string of large-scale manufacturing closures in our state.
I've been drooling over houses/prices in your area all afternoon....

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
luken8r said:
what do you monkies think of the RTP area? I see everyone is harping on Charlotte and Greenville. Im yet another knucklehead who has been looking to move to the area and Im in the techie biz (computer hardware stuff) and looks like this place has the highes concentration of qualifiable jobs as well as some good schools to get my masters in. I was at an interview in Myrtle Beach over the weekend and didnt really like the area. On the beach was far too toursity and 5 miles outside of the beach was like walking into the prototypical southern poo' town with nothing to do besides play a zillion rounds of golf or to kill me some vittles with tah there shotgun.
Is this area more metropolitan with more stuff to do? We have been thinking of checking out Charlotte area but there just arent enough jobs for me to even bother looking
Greenville, SC.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
Greenville, SC is going through an explosion of growth right now. An hour 15 to the mountains, just about three hours to the beach.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
1hr and 15min too long. give me no time to the mountains and 5hrs to the beach any day. i love asheville. just dont bring all your yank friends down here fellas. also anywhere you guys are talkin up are good places to live there all good choices. charlott if you want city and closer to the beach greenville if you want a good in between and here if you want total mountain.also wind rock is about 2 hrs away so that aint too bad. and snowshoe is 4 hrs away. so were not too too far away from the good dh places so what ever you think. still think you should come down and see it for yourself.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
had to get in on this one...
i work at the School of Medicine for ECU and have since 1998. The town used to suck bad but it's getting better - more metropolitan (we actually have Panera Bread now which makes all the girls happy). There are some bars for grown-ups, the people are nice and it's still small enough that you can be a regular somewhere. The BMX scene is pretty big there obviously and as far as other outdoor activties, there are some beautiful places. I saw someone talked about Lake Mattamuskeet and there's also the Belhaven area, Pungo River, Tar River all very friendly to outdoorsmen.
I didn't like G-ville at all at first - but it has grown, the demographics are changing (for the better), ECU has lost a lot of the negative party-school image it used to have and at the risk of being accused of being a lesbian, there are some HOT girls in this town. :sneaky:

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
stosh said:
I've been drooling over houses/prices...
Stosh, here's my house that cost only 97K, moved out of it a few years back but it was a nice starter home when my wife and I first got hitched..

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
binary visions said:
Hmm, two Greenville threads in a week.

Anyone live in or around Greenville, NC, and wants to tell me their impressions? Near any good riding? National parks? Nice town? What about East Carolina University?

I've done some research, and will be doing more, but nothing beats a first hand impression. I love the outer banks of NC, and Pisgah is supposed to be beautiful - Greenville is just about halfway between them (which is simply an incidental bonus, not why I'm considering the place).

I'm considering packing up next year (probably around this time) and moving, getting out of New England, trying some place a little different, and going to school full time to get my degree while I don't feel like I'm locked into anything. My girlfriend wants to move somewhere warmer, and I'm looking for a change, so this is what we discussed.

Anyone?
I am just north of Raleigh and I would say that in 1:30 you could get to a multitude of XC areas in the Raleigh area. Beaverdam and New Light are my favorites (closest too) but there are several networks of single track that you connect up around Umstead Park to come up with a 30 mile ride if you choose. There are also some "gray area" trails too. Add another 20 minutes to the drive and you can hit the network around Chapel Hill which has a little of everything. Yeah, there are better areas to live but then again, there are much worse areas too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
zod said:
The drive to work is not always fun but when I can walk outside at night and not hear a damn thing it's worth it............I loathe the city
That is what I miss about where I used to live in VA.

And the month I spent in Breckenridge.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bigginsis said:
had to get in on this one...
i work at the School of Medicine for ECU and have since 1998. The town used to suck bad but it's getting better - more metropolitan (we actually have Panera Bread now which makes all the girls happy). There are some bars for grown-ups, the people are nice and it's still small enough that you can be a regular somewhere. The BMX scene is pretty big there obviously and as far as other outdoor activties, there are some beautiful places. I saw someone talked about Lake Mattamuskeet and there's also the Belhaven area, Pungo River, Tar River all very friendly to outdoorsmen.
I didn't like G-ville at all at first - but it has grown, the demographics are changing (for the better), ECU has lost a lot of the negative party-school image it used to have and at the risk of being accused of being a lesbian, there are some HOT girls in this town. :sneaky:
pics of you with hot girls?

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
no pics - they could be used against me in a court of law. the first day in the spring when it's warm enough to be in a bikini, there's this one spot on campus where all the little cuties go to lay out...it's like a field of dreams...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
Stosh, here's my house that cost only 97K, moved out of it a few years back but it was a nice starter home when my wife and I first got hitched..
Dude, that is so crazy... I talked about it with my GF last night. She wouldn't be able to leave till June... I didn't see that as such a big deal. She did.... but I started dressing up my resume' last night. It needs a lot of work.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
Stosh, you ready to be blown away......here's what you get for the same price where I live. This house is about 5 minutes up the road from my home.

2000 sq ft, 3.3 acres for 180K

http://www.allentate.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=482687
Holy FAWK......

Is the pay that bad down there? I think my GF and I are really gonna do it.
New Bern seems like a town where I would like to live. Where would you suggest for a NY country boy to live? PS. I hate living in cities and I hate working in them. I especially hate commuting.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey, a lot of the places for sale on Allen Tate say 0$ in taxes. Why is that?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
stosh said:
Hey, a lot of the places for sale on Allen Tate say 0$ in taxes. Why is that?
It just means they didn't gather the info or the house is new so no tax info is avaliable.........we all pay property tax in NC but I am sure it is cheaper than you are used to. In my county (Gaston) I paid $1700 this year....... 2000sq. ft. home on 3.5 acres.

stosh said:
Holy FAWK......

Is the pay that bad down there? I think my GF and I are really gonna do it.
New Bern seems like a town where I would like to live. Where would you suggest for a NY country boy to live? PS. I hate living in cities and I hate working in them. I especially hate commuting.
Pay can be very good, can also be less than ideal. Someone like yourself who wants to be into archetecture really needs to be near a city of some sort (as much as you would dislike it). New Bern is however a nice coastal community, however I hope mountain biking is not a major concern b/c there will be nothing to ride out there.
I am of course very partial to where I live (or else I wouldn't live here). I'm pretty rural with a 35 minute drive to work in the "city." Charlotte is a pretty small city so it ain't like having to commute into NYC or ATL. And the mountain biking is abundant. I'm a mountain person myself so if I was going to go even more rural it wouldn't be towards New Bern. I'd be more likely to end up along HWY40 somewhere between Hickory and Asheville.........right around the best riding in the state IMHO.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
It just means they didn't gather the info or the house is new so no tax info is avaliable.........we all pay property tax in NC but I am sure it is cheaper than you are used to. In my county (Gaston) I paid $1700 this year....... 2000sq. ft. home on 3.5 acres.

Pay can be very good, can also be less than ideal. Someone like yourself who wants to be into archetecture really needs to be near a city of some sort (as much as you would dislike it). New Bern is however a nice coastal community, however I hope mountain biking is not a major concern b/c there will be nothing to ride out there.
I am of course very partial to where I live (or else I wouldn't live here). I'm pretty rural with a 35 minute drive to work in the "city." Charlotte is a pretty small city so it ain't like having to commute into NYC or ATL. And the mountain biking is abundant. I'm a mountain person myself so if I was going to go even more rural it wouldn't be towards New Bern. I'd be more likely to end up along HWY40 somewhere between Hickory and Asheville.........right around the best riding in the state IMHO.
Hrmm, I'm more of a mountain person however I do have a fondness for the sea so either way I think I would be happy.
Do you think New Bern is a good town pay wise?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
stosh said:
Do you think New Bern is a good town pay wise?
I have no experience with working at the coast so I wouldn't be able to say. Coastal towns are of course very seasonal as far as works goes....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
I have no experience with working at the coast so I wouldn't be able to say. Coastal towns are of course very seasonal as far as works goes....
Well architecture is pretty much a year round business. I know around here it can take years just to get the town to go thru the approval process. Also that is one of the leading causes of the high housing cost around here is the approval process.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
sounds like you need to plan a road trip where you can check out a few of the towns........maybe a coast to mountains tour of NC

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
sounds like you need to plan a road trip where you can check out a few of the towns........maybe a coast to mountains tour of NC
yeah after speaking with my GF last night we'll probably be taking out trip down there this summer if I don't end up landing a job sooner.

How are the schools down there?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
NC public school in general is not the best, but that's the South for you...........it really depends on the county you live in....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
NC public school in general is not the best, but that's the South for you...........it really depends on the county you live in....
My GF's a teacher so she is going to have to find a job as well. Also there is always that slim chance of having kids.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stosh said:
My GF's a teacher so she is going to have to find a job as well. Also there is always that slim chance of having kids.

i'll teach her a few things

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Yep, my wife used to be a teacher......she could have a job tomorrow if she wanted it, getting a teaching job in NC is super easy