Quantcast

Anyone live (or lived) in or near Greenville, NC?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
ahh yea, my wife is an interior designer....she knows plenty.....and Mr. Tiles just went thru checking out quite a few for his own house building process...
I did a search and there seems to be some architects in your area.

I think I'm gonna send some resume's out.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
binary visions said:
Wow, great post. Kinda funny, I remember givin' ya' hell on MTBR a couple years ago in a discussion about double crowns on ACs.. who knew we might be neighbors? You still living in Greenville?

You mentioned fishing and rivers.. How friendly are they to canoes and kayaks? By that, I mean do there tend to be a lot of motor boats/traffic in general? Are there local places where you can find some peaceful boating?
Yeah....ran that dual crown anyway! :sneaky:

I'm not living in Greenville anymore. I moved about two hours west, right next to Chapel Hill. It's almost smack-dab in the center of the state. 2.5 hours to the coast, 2.5 hours to the mountains. I've caught mountain trout in the morning, and caught sea trout in the evening. The Greenville area is great for a canoe or kayack. There are sooooo many options, it just sick from that standpoint. Right above Greenville is the gateway to solitude......Hwy 264. It runs through over 75 miles of swampland/marshland on the way out to the Albemarle Sound, towards Kitty HAwk and Nags Head. On that road, you'll run into Lake Mattamuskeet---one of the states largest lakes. Only 12 feet deep at the most, 7 miles across and 14 miles down its length, it was a Civil War era constructed impoundment with slave-dug feeder canals all around it that's just perfect for a day trip. Closer to the town, the Pamlico Sound backs right up to the neighboring town of Washington. It's feeder creeks and streams meander all around the outlying town and provide one with plenty of alone time. Another area above Greenville, is the Roanoke River---renowned all over the east coast for its annual spawning of sea-run striper. The Roanoke starts at the town of Raonoke Rapids, just over the border in Virginia, and heads down through the last third of the state, dumping out into the Albemarle Sound. All along the river, it's like you stepped back into the mid 1700's----feeder canals that run for miles into Spanish Moss-covered live oaks and cypress trees. There's even a "water trail" that features elevated platforms above the swamp that you can camp on overnight. The maritime possibilities of that area are limitless, and I've only just scratched the surface of what's there. Boating traffic is very low due to the sheer magnitude of the available waters. The only times it gets pretty hectic, is during the striper runs from May to August....generally during summer times you'll have the largest concentration of boaters on the Neuse River running out of New Bern, and around Wilmington, Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. In Wilmington, most of the boat traffic is all about the "look at me" factor---with mega-rich investment bankers showing off their toys in the Intercoastal Waterway. Everywhere else, it mainly fishermen making their living offshore on the big stuff and others crab-netting and flounder-gigging inshore.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It seems Zod isn't too hype about Greenville....what happened, man? 10-cent draft night at the Elbo room too much for ya? :p

Hey....every town has it's ghetto. But the percentage of ghetto vs. the percentage of nice is like, 2%. I'm not sure how long it's been since you were there, but it has changed dramatically in the last five years. :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DRB said:
Pease Associates.

Odell Associates.

McCulloch England Associates

What type of architecture? Any engineering? Specifically structural.... Wait you're a CAD guy right?
I'm a CAD guy but I'm hoping one day to be an Architect. I've already started my schooling and am about 3/4 done towards an associated degree. More importantly I have 2 years at this office doing everything from field measuring to finished construction documents, and construction administration.

I've worked on everything from Car Dealerships to Hot Dog stands.
At this point any type of architecture and if I can I want to stay away from the engineering end.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
I admit, I have not been to Greenville since my college days when my girlfriend(now wife) was going there for a semester or two.........at the time it just seemed like a real crap town in the middle of nowhere. It could have changed since though....it has been about 9 years.

Appalachian State to ECU is one hell of a drive :dead:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
zod said:
I admit, I have not been to Greenville since my college days when my girlfriend(now wife) was going there for a semester or two.........at the time it just seemed like a real crap town in the middle of nowhere. It could have changed since though....it has been about 9 years.

Appalachian State to ECU is one hell of a drive :dead:

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie, zod. That's definately a haul.

The town is HUGE now. So much nice stuff. Sounds like you were there about the same time I was leaving, so I can understand how you could feel that way. Big improvements these days. I went back a couple of months ago to ride the Bicycle Post trails, and just couldn't belive what I was seeing. Hwy 264 is 70 miles an hour all the way from Raleigh.....you're there in no time at all.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
greenville is fun if you like loose women, parties, bars and street riding. you should check out winston salem. wake forest university is there and granted it is pretty expensive but you are super close to the mountains and the pre-med there will give you a little more leeway when applying to med school. ECU has awesome physical therapy major as well. dont move to asheville though cause uhmmmmm................

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
stosh said:
I'm a CAD guy but I'm hoping one day to be an Architect. I've already started my schooling and am about 3/4 done towards an associated degree. More importantly I have 2 years at this office doing everything from field measuring to finished construction documents, and construction administration.

I've worked on everything from Car Dealerships to Hot Dog stands.
At this point any type of architecture and if I can I want to stay away from the engineering end.
Well I sort of know an engineering firm that is looking for a CAD guy but... its lots of structural work.

But Little and Associates is a pretty good sized firm in town. http://www.littleonline.com/

UNC Charlotte has a very developed college of architecture. http://www.coa.uncc.edu/

The only rule is there can be NO "Well back in New York blah blah is SO much better than here."

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
DRB said:
The only rule is there can be NO "Well back in New York blah blah is SO much better than here."
and don't ask for Cream of Wheat.........and when they bring the grits to the table for God's sake don't put sugar on them..... :nope: :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
DRB said:
word i completely agree. i ran a carpentry crew a few years ago. guy from boston worked for me for about 2 weeks till i fired him. I told him i wanted it done and the guy would say "back home this" "in boston that" and all that crap didnt ever get a damn thing done because he was to busy flappin his fat jaw about how it was done in boston, he finally said "if we were in Boston...."
so i told to him to get the hell off my walk board and go back boston.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
biggins said:
greenville is fun if you like loose women, parties, bars and street riding. you should check out winston salem. wake forest university is there and granted it is pretty expensive but you are super close to the mountains and the pre-med there will give you a little more leeway when applying to med school. ECU has awesome physical therapy major as well. dont move to asheville though cause uhmmmmm................

.....And who DOESN"T like loose women, parties, bars and street riding. Especially when you can do all four in the same night!! :p

Seriously, though......their Physical therapy dept. is superb as well as their pre-natal care research facility and their cardiology dept. The head of the med school clears more per year than the dean of the whole school.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DRB said:
Well I sort of know an engineering firm that is looking for a CAD guy but... its lots of structural work.

But Little and Associates is a pretty good sized firm in town. http://www.littleonline.com/

UNC Charlotte has a very developed college of architecture. http://www.coa.uncc.edu/

I have very little respect for NY aside from it's food.

Thanks for the links. I may be willing to do any kind of job even structural dwgs.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DRB said:
Just let me know if you need any info or help....
Hrmmmmmmmmmm man it seems so easy to find a job right now. What the housing market like?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the best sticker i have seen locally was distributed by my favorite bike shop. it was black with white block letters and simply said " DONT MOVE HERE"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
biggins said:
the best sticker i have seen locally was distributed by my favorite bike shop. it was black with white block letters and simply said " DONT MOVE HERE"
was that on a catawba car, or a cherokee car?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
stosh said:
Hrmmmmmmmmmm man it seems so easy to find a job right now. What the housing market like?

Housing market is killer.......LOTS to choose from and it's easy to find a stellar deal. Especially the farther you get away from center city, but that's the case anywhere.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
Housing market is killer.......LOTS to choose from and it's easy to find a stellar deal. Especially the farther you get away from center city, but that's the case anywhere.
Hrmmm I'm gonna look on some realestate websites now.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
stosh said:
It runs the range. Location is still the biggest driving force in Charlotte but then again it probably is everywhere. If you like the country and don't mind the drive there are lots of options in the surrounding counties and the outlying parts of Charlotte. If city living is more your style then there are tons of new condos and townhomes going up in the downtown. I will say that the prices seem to be going up fast in and around town.

We just bought a new house and had no problems selling ours and finding a new one that fit our critiera.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
zod said:
Stosh, my last house was 1350sq.ft. and cost 97,000..........brand spankin' new.
Dude you can't even buy a condemned trailer on a rental lot around here for that much.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
Woah woah woah, there Zod. Now...... we'll let Binary Visions and Stosh in, but don't let the cat out of the bag to everyone else!! :blah:

I love NC. Can you tell?
lived there all your life?

I like the area I live in. problem is all the city folk and town boards pushing us out.