Quantcast

Any good reviews of the new fox 40's with kashima? or any forks in general?

jmHill

Chimp
Feb 18, 2010
I'm building up a new downhill bike and am not really sure what fork to get. id like a 40, but I've heard mixed things about them. I'm also looking at the new Boxxers, and am wondering the difference between the world cup and the R2C2. Any recommendations?

Oct 9, 2006
I don't want to come across as a flamer, but whatever. Of the 6 new Fox Kashima coat forks I have seen on friends bikes five of them started puking oil on the first ride and it got progressively worse over the following rides. Literally new out of the box on the first ride I have witnessed a 180 Talas and 150 talas a 140 RLC as well as another 180 Talas start puking on on their first ride. If you ask me this is totally unacceptable. If you call fox they immediately offer you new seals but will not admit to there being a warranty issue. This more than anything pisses me off when there is a KNOWN defect with an item and a manufacturer will not admit to it and tell you everything is fine but without question will send out new parts to fix the crap they should have found in testing the product before releasing it.

This among other arrogant stances Fox takes has turned me away from ever buying another aftermarket Fox product again.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
The R2C2 boxxer is equivalent to the Team, it is a coil. The World cup is air sprung. they both have the same damper.
I've never had the opportunity to maintain a new boxxer, but my 08 40 is super easy to maintain. I asked a fox rep what the advantage of the new FIT cartridge is and he told me it's the same, just inverted so the compression adjustments are on top of the leg.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
If you're looking a Boxxer option I was speaking with CR1 not long ago and they just came out with their own version which a team with what amounts to be world cup internals with tons of adjustabilty.
It's actually right on the main page when you visit the site:

www.cr1engineering.com

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The R2C2 boxxer is equivalent to the Team, it is a coil. The World cup is air sprung. they both have the same damper.
I've never had the opportunity to maintain a new boxxer, but my 08 40 is super easy to maintain. I asked a fox rep what the advantage of the new FIT cartridge is and he told me it's the same, just inverted so the compression adjustments are on top of the leg.
R2C2 also has different bottom out system. It is elastomer based if I remember right.

Ive bought a used 2010 boxxer wc from Christiaan and Ive had no problems with it. It works flawlessly, though you wont wow your friends at the parking lot. The fork doesnt dive or fatique your arms. Im not sure if its due to the fork but I noticed more front traction when I got it.
The only time I had a problem with mine is when I decided(well actualy I really tried not to hit it but was deflected on a gap landing) to go full speed over a 10 inch rock and bottomed it out. Lost oil and some little thing got loose but nothing was hurt and it was an easy fix.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I've only owned one Fox 40 (way back in 2006) but loved that fork, it was like a Marzocchi 888 but lighter and with superior damping

led me into doing all kinds of stupid sh*t on my bike ;)

I currently rock a 2010 Fox 36 Talas RC2 taper fork and Fox RP23 XV BV shock, and both have been flawless

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
a guy i work with got one of the first kashima 40's in canada and has had no problems with it, he claims its the best fork he has ever had, but he was coming from a 08 888 before so that should be expected.

the kashima coat helps with the smoothness of the fork but its not a major upgrade. im currently on a 831 now with the kashima coming from a lowered 32 float without, the difference is minimal.

i would go for the 40, and its just because im biased and have never liked the feel of rockshox products.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
a guy i work with got one of the first kashima 40's in canada and has had no problems with it, he claims its the best fork he has ever had, but he was coming from a 08 888 before so that should be expected.

the kashima coat helps with the smoothness of the fork but its not a major upgrade. im currently on a 831 now with the kashima coming from a lowered 32 float without, the difference is minimal.

i would go for the 40, and its just because im biased and have never liked the feel of rockshox products.
The new ones are a big improvement over the 09 models. I never really liked how old boxxers felt. I love mine.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I think the kashima should make a bigger difference on the super huge stanchion. If it is actually slippery like claimed, that would help. My current 40 definitely has some rub action compared to a smaller 32mm boxxer

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I think the kashima should make a bigger difference on the super huge stanchion. If it is actually slippery like claimed, that would help. My current 40 definitely has some rub action compared to a smaller 32mm boxxer
i wonder if that translates to more stiction on the track though? I think the deflection on a 32mm stanchion and it binding on the bushing would more than offset the larger and stiffer 40.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Don't count out Marz as an option. Totally stoked on my EVO Ti.

Believe me, it wasn't easy to pull the trigger on it cause I had an 08, but it's made me a believer...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Checked out a couple Kashima coated 36's and 40's. Still nowhere as smooth as either type of Marzocchi stanchion.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Checked out a couple Kashima coated 36's and 40's. Still nowhere as smooth as either type of Marzocchi stanchion.
My fork felt that bad ehh?:rofl:
My Talas 36 feels pretty smooth to me, maybe its placebo effect.:rofl:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
My fork felt that bad ehh?:rofl:
My Talas 36 feels pretty smooth to me, maybe its placebo effect.:rofl:
Hah, I never said it felt BAD. Just compare it to a 2010 Zoke 66 or 88. They are definitely still the market leaders in that department.

Always thought the Fox damping felt nice and consistent though. Very effective LSC.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
Came off a 2010 Boxxer Team and went to a 2011 40. The 40 simply put is amazing. I hated the Boxxer ever since it was new, never felt soft enough and was so chattery on the small stuff it was pathetic. I have a whole weekend on the new 40 at Snowshoe for the third race. No leaks, no pops, just buttery perfection. Can't say enough about this fork.