Quantcast

An all-around dh bike

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My level betty cracked so I need a new bike. I do dj,fr,dhr, some xc trails. Gary fisher will give me a sugar for the warranty which I will sell. I want a bullit, but I don't think I will have enough money for a dc fork. An Iron horse would be good, but they are so heavy.

I have evrrything but cranks, and a seatpost for the new frame. So, I definatly want a frame. I will use my dirt jump 2 and my light front wheel on it for dj, xc trails and stuff. I will eventually get a super t and a 20mm front wheel. I will switch these if I will do 1 or the other. My rear wheel is a mavic ex325/xt w/ qr skewer axle which should be good for everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a frame?

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Ever entertained the idea of a Turner 6 pack frame? It's a bit more expensive than some others, but the quality is rediculous. It won't break for one, and is fairly light and mine has worked for me for xc laps, dh and also it's been dirt jumping really well. The DHX does amazing things to make the bike super versatile and smooth.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Near Santa Barbara, CA. I am a little far from boulder. Thanks!! anyway. How much does the 7" iron horse kumicho thing weigh? THe turner looks really nice, but it is more than I want to spend. I am 5'3 (maybe I will grow soon- Im 15) and I can ride a med bullit, but it is a little big. A small would be much better. What about Norcos. Thanks for all the ideas so far.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
On the shock mount it cracked. First some paint came off which pancho at CBO noticed. he said there was a lot of stress and it would crack. It did and its getting bigger. Its on the weld of the front shock mount.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i am 5'4 now, i was 4'9 when i got my bullit. i think you will be better off with the small size, unless you fit the med well and since you a growing, it will last you.

gmoney80

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
colorado springs, co
Seriously Go With The Vp-free We Sell Ironhorse And Santa Cruz At Our Shop And I Have Logged Time On The Free And The 7.7 And I Like The Free Better I Decends Much Better It Seems Everyone On This Site Is Totally Biased For Ih Whats Up With That I Agree They Make Good Bikes But They Aren't Anything Amazing Does Everyone Work For Them Or Something

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Dude, he's 15 and weighs nothing. VPFree's? Turner 6packs? Thats not gonna fit the budget.

I'd look at the used market for a bulllit or similar 6-7" versatile frame. Maybe just ride the P2 and save cash for a while.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Zark said:
Dude, he's 15 and weighs nothing. VPFree's? Turner 6packs? Thats not gonna fit the budget.

I'd look at the used market for a bulllit or similar 6-7" versatile frame. Maybe just ride the P2 and save cash for a while.
Don't you know someone with a used Iron Horse to sell?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
MikeD said:
Don't you know someone with a used Iron Horse to sell?
:think: Hmm, good thinking Mike. If you want a 17" '03 SGS expert (frame and fork) for cheap and local send me a pm.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
The hub is a 150mm x 12mm. Azonic makes a hub and so does Sun-Ringle.

Too bad you don't live in the Northwest, a friend is selling his small size VPFree frame - polished too.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
gmoney80 said:
Seriously Go With The Vp-free We Sell Ironhorse And Santa Cruz At Our Shop And I Have Logged Time On The Free And The 7.7 And I Like The Free Better I Decends Much Better It Seems Everyone On This Site Is Totally Biased For Ih Whats Up With That I Agree They Make Good Bikes But They Aren't Anything Amazing Does Everyone Work For Them Or Something
gmoney...you work at Colorado Cyclist right?

Iron Horse has not sold any 7POINT models to Colorado Cyclist. Some employees have inquired about EP of them but not regular sales. Sorry but I have to call BS here on you.

-ska todd

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
mtnbrider said:
My level betty cracked so I need a new bike. I do dj,fr,dhr, some xc trails. Gary fisher will give me a sugar for the warranty which I will sell. I want a bullit, but I don't think I will have enough money for a dc fork. An Iron horse would be good, but they are so heavy.

I have evrrything but cranks, and a seatpost for the new frame. So, I definatly want a frame. I will use my dirt jump 2 and my light front wheel on it for dj, xc trails and stuff. I will eventually get a super t and a 20mm front wheel. I will switch these if I will do 1 or the other. My rear wheel is a mavic ex325/xt w/ qr skewer axle which should be good for everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a frame?
I think your idea of a Bullit is pretty sound.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
gmoney80 said:
Wow, you take time to capitalize every first letter, and yet there is no punctuation at all. Brilliant.

And this thread is pathetic. Kid, you need to do some research first before asking everyone else to do it for you. Outlandish generalizations like IH's are too heavy aren't going to get you anywhere, especially on this board.

For what it's worth, a cheap used Bullit sounds like the ticket.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
gmoney80 said:
I Didn't Know This Kid Was 15 What The Hell Yeah Ditto With The Bullit It Is A Sweet Bike It Is Pretty Much Do Everything A Free Is Was To Much Bike For You To Handle
Reading is fundamental.

I am 5'3 (maybe I will grow soon- Im 15) and I can ride a med bullit, but it is a little big. A small would be much better. What about Norcos. Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
ska todd said:
gmoney...you work at Colorado Cyclist right?

Iron Horse has not sold any 7POINT models to Colorado Cyclist. Some employees have inquired about EP of them but not regular sales. Sorry but I have to call BS here on you.

-ska todd
Todd is on the ball. Unneeded hatred toward my favorite company because IH wouldn't let you EP one (maybe thats the case, if not still unnessacary) is not cool gmoney.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am 5'3 (maybe I will grow soon- Im 15) and I can ride a med bullit, but it is a little big. A small would be much better. What about Norcos. Thanks for all the ideas so far.
Whats wrong with that.

I am going to get a job this summer. Would a bullit be okay for dh and fr at places like Firestone, Mammoth, Fontana and can they do small dirt jumps okay.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
mtnbrider said:
I am going to get a job this summer. Would a bullit be okay for dh and fr at places like Firestone, Mammoth, Fontana and can they do small dirt jumps okay.
Yeah, a bullit will be fine until you go semi-pro, especially at those venues (IMHO). More a question of the rider; the bike won't be holding you back.

And please, learn to spell and/or type and somehow communicate clearly. You're not going to have a good time on Ridemonkey if we get headaches reading your posts. You'll find that if people answer you at all, it'll be very negative. At the very least, use a question mark at the end of a question. Please.

MD

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I want to get a truvativ hussefelt crankset w/ an mrp lrp chain guide and e13 bashguard. What size crank should I get: 170mm or 175mm? Can I use a truvativ bb? I don't know much about bb's and their sizes.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
mtnbrider said:
I want to get a truvativ hussefelt crankset w/ an mrp lrp chain guide and e13 bashguard. What size crank should I get: 170mm or 175mm? Can I use a truvativ bb? I don't know much about bb's and their sizes.
Get an E13 DRS guide instead. 170mm cranks will treat you well.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Mrp's are nice, I used to use one for about two and a half years. I did replace the bash guard with a thicker Race face one so that's probably why they've lasted a bit longer. I don't like how the bottom roller on the boomerang is exposed. Proof in point, I bent the crap out of the boomerang at a race at Snowshoe last year. I crashed hard in practice and the boomerang bent and the roller was angled so the chain wouldn't move unless I took the roller. I took a hammer to the boomerang to try and get it flat again. I retired that guide about 2 weeks ago.

I decided on the e.13, just to try something new. I really like the way that nothing but the bashring is exposed to rocks and such, the bottom roller is seated back out of the way. It's noticably lighter than the mrp and just as quiet. Make sure to follow the instructions correctly when setting it up.