Quantcast

Advice for riding with poison oak.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Yep, I have it again....:dead: :banghead:

I use Technu and Callagel which work pretty well. I'm racing DH, super-D, and XC this weekend. What could I do to keep it from itching/spreading while I'm sweating?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I don't have time to go get a shot or anything. I've decided that I probably shouldn't race XC. Maybe I should wrap the poison oak on my knee with something under my shin guard.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Once you wash off the oil it doesn't spread. Take a bath you dirty hippy.

wrong. the little clear puss bubbles that come up can spread it if they're popped/scratched. just the sight of poison oak kills me now and my whole yard is full of it. lil manimal just got into a batch of it this week and it keeps spreading. i hate it for you mtnbrider.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
remember to wash with soap and COLD water. hot makes it go everywhere.
Soap might not be the best idea. Since an oil is what causes the rash and soap dissolves oil, you risk spreading it all over. The cold water keeps the pores of your skin from opening and allowing more oil in.

Stuff to do: http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/faq.htm

Make sure you wash all the clothes that you were wearing when you got it, the oil can linger for a good amount of time. It isn't going to spread during the race unless you run into more ivy.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I'm immune, which is good cause it was everywhere on the trails i rode in cali.

between the rocks, the poison oak, the hikers, and the mountain lions I don't know how the state has any mountain bikers left.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Use Technu Extreme or Zanfel to remove the oil. Regular technu is good but the newer stuff is more abrasive and more effective. You need to be very thorough but once you remove the oil it will not spread, and you just need to let the rash run it's course. The gels will help the itching, which for me means I'm less likely to irritate the rash by scratching, meaning it heals faster.

The fluid in the blisters will not cause it to spread, but if you don't get the oil off it might seem like it.

The biggest problem is that it can take 2-3 days for the rash to develop and by then you've spread the oil around your body, on your bed, etc. If you even think you've been exposed, scrub down with the technu. I do it after pretty much every ride in the summer.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
:) I don't get Poison Oak......I can roll in the stuff and never have gotten it once in my life.......well that and the chicken pox.

But on the other hand.......I know doctors can give you roid cream for it that helps it go away pretty quickly and there is a shot for it. I think the shot though they only give the highly allergic to. I could be wrong on that though.

Once you got it you got, not much you can do but let it heal and go away.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
wrong. the little clear puss bubbles that come up can spread it if they're popped/scratched.
That's actually just an old wives tale. The rash cant "spread" only the oil residue from the poison ivy leaf itself can cause a rash. The "puss" is basically just dead white blood cells and other phagocytes from your body there to fight against the infection.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
god i hate poison oak. this past winter i got it all over my body, and on my arm and legs so bad i HAD to go to the hospital. my arm was so swollen i couldn't put on sweatshirts and the skin would tear when i bent it. it was horrible. best advice: go to the hospital and get prednizone if it's really bad.

thank god all that's left is the scars on my arms and legs.:plthumbsdown:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Soap might not be the best idea. Since an oil is what causes the rash and soap dissolves oil, you risk spreading it all over.
Greases and oils are not soluble in water because they are nonpolar. So, washing with water alone is not very effective. You need something else. Technu is a great option. A good soap is a decent backup option. Soaps don't dissolve oil per say, they stick it in the center of little balls of soap molecules, so that you can use water to wash it all away. (Soaps are salts of long chain carboxylic acids, and they're able to clean by isolating the nonpolar junk inside of little micelles, with the soap's nonpolar hydrocarbon chains pointing in, and the polar carboxyl groups pointing out to interact with the water molecules.) Dishwashing liquid has worked well for me in a pinch. It's usually formulated to "cut grease," so it tends to be pretty effective at getting rid of oily stuff, natural skin oils included, which is why you probably don't want to use it as your everyday soap.

Kanga

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
I never used to get it, could ride through it or whatever. Didn't even know what it looked like. Then someone pointed it out to me when they wouldn't follow me down a sweet local singetrack, coz it was just covered. Not long after that, I started getting it. Psychosomatic, perhaps? Or just a case of sensitization from past exposure....?

I've since had some pretty nasty cases from rides, and especially from doing whitewater rescues along the Kern river, where lives were at stake. You don't worry about the oak in those situations.

I've never had good luck with Technu (the older stuff, haven't tried the extreme). Zanfel seems to take away the itch pretty well, but it's expensive. Simple Green works in a pinch too, but all of the above with COLD water. Hot water opens your pores and lets it spread more.

Also Mugwort, which often grows near PO along rivers and creeks can help get the oil off, if you use it quickly. If you know you've been in contact with PO, find some mugwort and grab a bunch of leaves. Crush them in your hands and roll them up into a ball until you can smell the aromatic part of the mugwort, then use that ball to wipe off the areas you've contacted PO. It's an old native american remedy.

Ivyblock helps, and so does wearing body armor. There are trails I'll wear elbow/forearm and shinguards just for the oak, even though they're not technical trails. Just wash off the guards with simple green later on.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
use ZANFEL... actually wait... read the package first. I know it works amazing on posion ivy. It gets rid of the itch immediately, keeps it from spreading, and helps it clear up quicker.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Pick up some stuff called Domboro. You can soak your arm leg or whatever in a solution of it or for quick drying and clearing of it, make a paste and put it on for a few minutes. Wash it off with cold water and you're ready to rock.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I used to use regular Technu, but now use Technu Extreme after I've been around poison oak. I also wash my armor with simple green. My poison oak is finally showing signs of healing. I should have taken pics when it was really bad. :banghead:

If I've spread it by scratching, doesn't that mean that the stuff in the rash / phagcyte causes rashes?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
If I ever end up with it I normally cover it with a bandage or some band aids. That way I wont itch it or anything.

I have also had it so bad that I just rub rubbing alcohol on it and make sure to break the skin. That normally helps dry it out fast.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ I'll have to try that some time. I'd rather have stinging than itching.

When I rode in SC with Miles, I got such bad poison oak. It's EVERYWHERE up there.