Quantcast

addicted? obsessed?

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
I dont want to bring this up, but I think I'm addicted to biking. all types of biking. especially freeride and downhill. I sit at home and look at pictures of bikes all day, watching videos, looking at which ones I can buy, selling my personal things just to buy bikes. is it a serious thing? I know it sounds funny, but I'm worried about my future. Mostly the money factor. I dont drink, I dont do drugs and never will do both, but I'm more worried about getting older and not having any money because I spent it all on bikes. what do you guys think? I'm not really a bike hoarder, I'm more into riding, owning, and fixing bikes, I'm an enthusiast, and idk if I'm taking it too far. I daydream for hours, if not all day, about either riding, about the bikes themselves, I see mirages of bikes sometimes, like in clouds, or when I'm laying on my bed stare at the ceiling i connect the dots and see bike parts, frames, etc.

I have been watching drug inc. videos this morning and the way people feel about there drugs is like the way I feel about bikes. I dont think its so much the fact of "spending money I dont have" its more like I'll own something that means a lot to me that last week I would NEVER sell, say a guitar, then I'll be like on pinkbike buy/sell section and be wanting to trade or sell that guitar to buy that bike... is it a problem?

Maybe I should work at a bike shop?

Last edited:

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
haha I barley have enough for a decent bike, how am I suppose to come up with $70-$300 a day

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you here. Do you know what I'm talking about?

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
I know exactly what your saying. spot on, that's how I feel and I cant describe it, give me the red pill.

Last edited:

Burnt-Orange

Monkey
Jan 5, 2013
Fund your addiction by having relations with very large middle-aged women.
The way I see it this could go a couple of ways but should at least take care of your financial woes.
If your married this could also free up more time to ride.
Ummmm ,the bike that is.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
I'm not married, probably never will be, will probably die a virgin, but at least I'll have a stellar bike!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
haha I barley have enough for a decent bike, how am I suppose to come up with $70-$300 a day
Meth is cheaper. Trust me. Running up a credit card balance on bike parts is the *least* of your worries.... First you do that, then you take a pay cut to work at a bike company (but somehow that CC balance disappears), then you even give up that stable (monotonous/frustrating) gig to start out on your own.

Screw meth, we're into cheap hookers and good blow territory here...

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
what other section does this follow? plus some of the other threads are about bikes too, its a forum website about...bikes! so why are you surprised to see a thread about bikes?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
It's an addiction, certainly. When I was in the hospital bed paralyzed from the neck down and unable to breathe on my own, I still watched a ton of bike videos, even though the bike crash is what put me in that condition.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
WOW that's harsh! I would probably do the same. wow that's something to think about, crashing and being paralyzed, and only wanting to go do more.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you here. Do you know what I'm talking about?
:rofl:

You could CERTAINLY have worse addictions... just ask PSP or Ride Monzie... although monz claims he isn't "addicted" so maybe don't ask him :D

I think you'll be alright kiddo, keep on riding, and dreaming of riding, and don't let anyone else's opinions of what you should/could be doing hold you back.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You are lucky to be passionate about something that can be so rewarding on so many levels. Some people never find anything even close. Don't be afraid of it, feed it. The rest will come.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
yeah you could be a sicko like me that gets a charge out of working gnarly nasty auto or moto crashes that take my skills to the limit trying to get the injured extricated, triaged, and still breathing to the trauma center. Damn I love my job.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
For the love of god someone rep cliff for me.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Call in van vonderan.

I went from 4 bikes to 3, will be swapping out my backup 26HT for a 29FS one of these days. A 26, a 29 and a commuter/bar bike, that is all I need. Instead of obsessing on the bikes, obsess on RIDING them.