Quantcast

A Pretty Full Day at Whistler

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Just got back from 12 days in Whistler. As always, it was a great, great time with good friends, fantastic food, and tons of riding.

Anyway, on Thursday I decided to see how long and far I could ride in a single day using my GPS to measure progress. Having gone out the night before, I was a little slow in the A.M. and didn't get on the mountain until 10:30AM. Also, I rode with some friends at different points in the day who had some flats that took a while to fix (amazingly, I suffered zero mechanicals all day), and that slowed things down a bit. But in the end, I got more than enough riding by the time I had to get back for dinner at 7:30PM. I ate lunch on the lift (thanks, Tanya, for bringing the sandwich!) and tried to just do steady laps all day. I also tried my best to ride a variety of different trails, but I pussed out on some of the gnarlier ones (Clown Shoes, Joyride, Goat's Gulley, D1, Rock City, etc.).

Here are the results:
Number of runs from the top of Fitzsimmons Chair/Gondola Midstation to Village: 8
Number of runs from top of Garbanzo to Village: 4
Total vertical feet descended: 22,684
Total Number of miles covered (chair and bike): 52.67
Total number of miles ridden on bike: 34.01
Total time on mountain: 9hr 02min

Obviously, this is no record and I'm sure there are plenty of badass folks who could put this to shame, so post up your own stories/pics! I can tell you that my day was exhausting but tons of fun.

Later,

JP

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That's awesome! Very envious lying here on the couch recovering from acl reconstruction.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Damn JP you are one lucky boy. Already saving up for a trip out there next summer but for the whole family. I bet youe trip would have been much better if the Bikini Team was there at each Lift to give you a Ice Cool Drink!!!!!

Glad to see your still out having fun man.

Cecil:cheers:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
First time in seven years I will not be in Whistler this year due to visa renewal. I will be back next year. Seems like the weather has been perfect this July.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah how are conditions up on the mtn right now? we will be up there august 9th - 14th...from all the vids i have seen it is really dry

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Damn JP you are one lucky boy. Already saving up for a trip out there next summer but for the whole family. I bet youe trip would have been much better if the Bikini Team was there at each Lift to give you a Ice Cool Drink!!!!!

Glad to see your still out having fun man.

Cecil:cheers:
Thanks! We actually may have done one better this year - we had our friends Carolyn and Tanya stay with us at our condo, and they not only did all the food shopping at Costco down in Vancouver, they cooked these insanely great gourmet meals every night and morning (grilled salmon and prawns, eggs benedict, multi grain pancakes, grilled marinated steaks, etc). I can't thank those two enough. With the discounts they got on groceries, it only cost the 6 guys in our place $185 each for 7 days of food and beer (12 cases, I think?). Ridiculous.

Seems like the weather has been perfect this July.
You wouldn't believe it - I was there the 16th through the 27th, and it didn't rain a drop until we got a tiny sprinkle on the afternoon of our very last day. The trails are a bit beat up because of the dry weather, but I'd take rough trails and sunny/warm weather over rain any day.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Do me a favor. Can you change the color coding of the run from the top of Freight Train to A-Line? I'd love to see that route singled out.
I'll try, but Freight Train doesn't connect directly into A-Line. You'd have to hit Dirt Merchant in the middle (or do a flat ride across the top of Fitzsimmons Chair which screws up the flow).

Here's something that will interest you, though: we did a Freight Train>Dirt Merchant>A Line run, and I counted up all the drops/jumps along the way. The total was 93!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
FYI: there are garmin files available for a map of the Whistler trails.

I intend on riding with my Garmin 60CSX when I am there in September. Partialy to keep track of the same thing John did and partialy to be able to find some of the trails that we didn't ride the last time I was there.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
I've been riding Whistler on the weekends mostly, usually the shore on saturday and whistler on sunday, sometimes in the week also, and am up to 11 days with 105 runs/scans....so that's 105 halves I suppose. Going to try to go do every trail on the mountain; top, bottom, plus some other trails I know of on the mountain in a day sometime here soon, but we'll see as the joints in my fingers are not working too well and that may or may not happen but its alright, riding is fun! :monkeydance:

dirtboyracer

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
That's awesome! Very envious lying here on the couch recovering from acl reconstruction.
Same here. I'm itching to get back on a bike already and I'm only 12 days out. Gotta wait though. Stories like these don't help too much...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
yeah how are conditions up on the mtn right now? we will be up there august 9th - 14th...from all the vids i have seen it is really dry
I'll be there about the same time. I didn't even know it was going to be crankworx.... Dry should be good for me, since everything I ride in this state is dry. :D

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I just got back from 4 days of riding up there. It was my first time and it was very impressive, I've got to say riding Garbonzo from O-Sin - Goats Gully - In Deep - Fatcrobat - D1 - Joyride was probably one of the most challenging and fun times I have had on a bike, the variety was amazing. I feel like I made a bigger improvement in my riding in 4 days up there then I have all season.

Also the old classics like freight train - dirt merchant - lower a-line were so much fun especially in full death train mode with 6 plus guys. Another lower line that was alot of fun for our crew was Whistler dh - The French Connection - Crack Addict. I cannot wait to go back in 2 weeks, I will have a GPS and keep this record in mind.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
1 more day of work until 6 days of whistler bliss. I can feel the hand and liver pump already.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'm using a DeLorme GPS PN-20. It's a pretty cool device that you can upload aerial imagery onto so that you can actually see where you are in an area while actually out in the field.

The big downside is that I haven't figured out how to use it very well in Canada yet. To create the image you see at the top of the page, I basically pulled the GPS file off of the unit (in .gpx format), then I uploaded that file into Google Earth. From the sounds of what ChrisKring said above, I'm guessing some of the Garmin units are a little more adept at use in Canada?

FYI,

John P.

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
How was it DROPPIN' in on freight train? I bet it was LOADS of fun!

Note to everyone: Inside Whistler joke.

President of the Nick Manning Fan Club since 2008

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
**** my face, that looks like a sick day. You must have some strong legs, especially at the knees.

oliverberry

Chimp
Jul 20, 2008
I am a massive fan of whislter
and this is the first pic of whistler properly
and its awseome sounds like a good day

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: