Quantcast

a DHer's AM/trail bike: Mojo HD vs Slayer vs SB66 vs Carbine

looking to build a spare no expenses slack and low All Mountain/trail destroyer. I'm not looking to win any XC hill climbs, just enough effort to earn my turns/jumps/whips/rock gardens coming down. I am looking for an efficient suspension design. the stumpjumper i had really wallowed in it's travel when i set proper sag of 25%. i had to turn on propedal or lockout if i had to mash on the pedals to get up a hill. hence why the Enduro isn't on that list.

it comes down to:
Mojo HD
RM Slayer
SB66
Carbine.

the SB66 and Carbine are definitely alittle more trail orientated compared to the Mojo HD and Slayer. Weight is a factor, as I am shooting for a target weight of sub 28lbs.

Front fork will be an Xfusion Vengeance HLR and XTR/XT parts with I9 wheelset

Gimme your opinions! :D

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm currently in love with the way my tracer 2 rides- especially descending quickly. I'm guessing the carbine would have to be a lighter, stiffer version of that.

Carbine ftw.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
looking to build a spare no expenses slack and low All Mountain/trail destroyer. I'm not looking to win any XC hill climbs, just enough effort to earn my turns/jumps/whips/rock gardens coming down. I am looking for an efficient suspension design. the stumpjumper i had really wallowed in it's travel when i set proper sag of 25%. i had to turn on propedal or lockout if i had to mash on the pedals to get up a hill. hence why the Enduro isn't on that list.

it comes down to:
Mojo HD
RM Slayer
SB66
Carbine.

the SB66 and Carbine are definitely alittle more trail orientated compared to the Mojo HD and Slayer. Weight is a factor, as I am shooting for a target weight of sub 28lbs.

Front fork will be an Xfusion Vengeance HLR and XTR/XT parts with I9 wheelset

Gimme your opinions! :D
from looking at what i put into bold, I'm not sure you are going to be happy with the pedaling performance of any downhill shredder if you didn't like the stumpy--an arguable better pedaling bike than any of the longer travel rigs you posted up....

that being said.... i'm a fan of VPP

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have been running a 2011 RM Slayer 70 all season as my ALL MT Bike. I love this bike!!! More than my old Trek Remedys and Giant Trance X too. Stock I was not happy due to having too much travel for my liking on a All Mt Bike at 6.5" front and back. I took off the Fox 36 and replaced it with a RS Revelation RLT TI with a Tapered Sterr at 150mm. Feels so much better than the Fox 36 plus can drop it down to climb. As for the Rear I took of the stock Fox RP23 2.25" stroke shock and replaced it with a RS Monarch RT3 2.0" Stroke. This brought the rear travel down to 150mm. Made the bike feel so alive!!!! The bike climbs really well and descends like a Mini DH bike. It also corners like a 4.5" bike too. I will be posting a review up in a week tops with lots of pictures.

Note: My build is 30lbs and will be dropping a little more weight soon with new lighter wheels and tire setup.

Cecil

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I am looking at replacing my Commencal Meta6 for something a bit lighter, it really is a bit too burly since I already have a DH bike.

Anyway, I was looking at the Stumpjumper EVO or a Blur LT. Is that the stumpy you had? If it gets mushy in the mid travel that may have me leaning towards the Blur.

For info I have more than one friend on the Mojo HD, they love it.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
As for the Rear I took of the stock Fox RP23 2.25" stroke shock and replaced it with a RS Monarch RT3 2.0" Stroke. l
What year Monarch do you have? I had a 2010 on my Meta6 and it felt ok descending but climbing the propedal did nothing. I replaced it with a RP23 and never looked back.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
mojo HD rides pretty high in the travel, and feels higher and steeper than you would think. definatly pretty XC of a ride, rather than DH of a ride IMO.

don;t really see how several of those are all going to wind up sub 28 with a vengeance, unless you are running ultra-lite tires and rims.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Have you considered the SC Blur Tr? Yeti will most likely come out with a Carbon SB66 this winter, something to consider if you are really 'sparing no expense' and want a sub 28lb bike.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
Reign X, coil shock, ti spring, light build kit. Trail destroying machine. mine rides like a mini-dh sled on the descents and still climbs damn well. I never, ever touch my propedal. seriously, not even once. zero bob, maestro suspension design makes for a seriously bad-ass trail ride.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
the mojo HD has a talllish BB unsagged, and tends to ride high in its travel.

I've not ridden a newer Slayer.

Recently found a shock that has transformed the performance of my alu nomad2 while still keeping weight down -- the PUSH AM Monarch. and the full 1.5 HT means you could slackerize the HA by as much as you'd ever need.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Reign X, coil shock, ti spring, light build kit.
if you want under 28lbs, no dice on this guy...

my reign x, with pretty pimp everything (vivid air, xx 185mm brakes, xo drivetrain, crossmax sx wheels, vengeance fork, crank bro iodine cockpit, etc) is 30.2lbs

you would have to throw major money at it to get it much lighter, or run pinner xc tires and rims.

but that said, the bike is retarded. climbs great (coming from a former expert xc racer), and SHREDS the way down.

I am eyeing the reign 0 frameset as well...nothing really jumps out at me among my choices. Wished there was a shop nearby where I could demo all these choices. But sounds like my target weight of 28lbs is a pipe dream. And some of my choice are limited/anticipated availability. I may just ride a cove handjob until 2012 products roll out.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
How about that Nukeproof Mega? I like what they did on that one... Highish single pivot, full seat tube, 1.5, good geometry, not too much travel (150mm). From the site:

"Geometry is based around a 66deg head angle and 75deg seat angle, with a BB height of 13.69” for climbing and descending prowess."

PS- my sj evo bobs a little bit, however, I have never had a bike (besides a hardtail) where it feels like it is putting every bit of your energy into forward motion. The travel isn't sluggish and the bike feels like a little rocket when I pedal hard. Could be due to the boostvalve rp23- it definately doesn't wallow like my old enduro. Good luck, sounds like a fun project!!

Last edited:

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
if you want under 28lbs, no dice on this guy...

my reign x, with pretty pimp everything (vivid air, xx 185mm brakes, xo drivetrain, crossmax sx wheels, vengeance fork, crank bro iodine cockpit, etc) is 30.2lbs

you would have to throw major money at it to get it much lighter, or run pinner xc tires and rims.

but that said, the bike is retarded. climbs great (coming from a former expert xc racer), and SHREDS the way down.
true that, but realistically any of these bikes is gonna come in more around 31lbs, at which point, performance-wise I think the reign is really, really tough to beat. there are plenty of bikes that ride as well, but none that ride noticeably better.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Maybe look into the knolly bikes. either the endorphin or chilcotin. both are plenty capable. The downside is you would have to wait a month or two.

I am in the exact same dilemma right now though. A bike that can climb pretty good but handle abuse on the way down. I have tried many bikes but either they are to tall (seat tube/standover), they are too steep, they are too frail, or they don't climb good/too heavy.

Some of my top picks though if i could have any bike

Mojo HD
commencal meta AM (when it comes out)
Blur LTC
Nomad C

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think your list is solid and I would lean towards the SB-66 personally. I'd also throw in the Blur TRc, the Meta AM (no current US distro), and this:

:thumb:

i'm trying to stay away from single pivots (like the Meta and Mega). i guess the SB66 would be the exception, but that switch chip supposedly makes a big difference. how much is hype? who knows but reports is that the SB66 is a pretty efficient pedaler but slaying the downhills.

seems like the 150mm - 160mm market is huge right now interms of choice. just need to wait for 2012 stuff to come out.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Out of the ones you listed, I'd say the SB-66. Killer geo, beautiful asthetics, and John P works there.

But since others have thrown out alternatives, I will trot out the obligatory Banshee Spitfire recommendation (which I can personally attest to), as well as a GT Distortion and maybe even the Yeti 575 with a 150 mm bump stick.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I think your list is solid and I would lean towards the SB-66 personally. I'd also throw in the Blur TRc, the Meta AM (no current US distro), and this:

:thumb:
This looks pretty nice! Light too, dh tires and all.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Tracer2 or carbine.

now that the carbine is here will we see the tracer2 drop ????
Doubt it. Tracer 2 is made in house and retains a chain guide. I can see room for both bikes in their line up. (now if only my wallet could see room for both bikes in my line up :D )

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Haven't ridden these my self but a good friend of mine has a very nice SC Nomad, built up with a coil shock (ti spring), lyric solo air and a very nice build and it all comes in at just over 29 lbs.

Defiantly a solid frame to look into!

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
You should try the Stumpjumper evo with a proper shock, or at least the enduro with the same. If you found it wallow'd your experience is completely different to mine. If anything, I found the Nomad wallow'd midstroke. Shocks make a hell'of'a difference with that midstroke wallow. Running a double barrel on an enduro and it's dialed with zero oddness to it.

At any rate, out of your choices listed, get the SB66 so you can tell us what you think ;) It's the bike I'm most interested in right now and that pivoting link is something different for a change.

Last edited:

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Seriously dont dismiss the Enduro or Stumpy so quickly. I agree the standard shocks are a bit meh, especially with riders >200lbs.
Look at an Enduro Evo which comes with a coil as standard or a Stumpy with a Monarch shock, both would probably suit.
I run my Enduro in XC guide with an air shock and Easton Haven carbon rims and it comes in around 28lbs (with UST 2.5" Maxxis rubber) or 32lbs with a more DH spec including a double barrel and Easton havoc rims. Head angle is 66 with high BB clevis or circa 65 with low BB clevis. Running it with 170m Bos forks up front.
Probably the most fun versatile bike I've swung a leg over ever.

Am/Light DH

XC

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Why is a Tracer not an option? The only thing thats holding me back from a Carbine is the no Chain guide issue.
I have been riding a Tracer for 3 seasons now as my AM/XC bike and the adjustibility is unreal. I have zero complaints about that bike.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I am eyeing the reign 0 frameset as well...nothing really jumps out at me among my choices. Wished there was a shop nearby where I could demo all these choices. But sounds like my target weight of 28lbs is a pipe dream. And some of my choice are limited/anticipated availability. I may just ride a cove handjob until 2012 products roll out.
I'm riding a 2010 Reign built up to 26.5lbs. I have lots of places to shave weight, but I can't imagine doing it. This thing is a beast, it climbs like a champ(in comparision to bikes I own/owned: Canaan, Heckler, '05 Enduro, '10 enduro, FXR, Nomad, Remedy, Fuel, 6.6) and rallies that downhills.
It's light and nimble which makes it really fun.
I'm going to try a coil out back for ****s and giggles, but really I have no complaints.

-Kevin

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I'd lean towards Yeti. I used to own a 575 and it was the most fun thing I've ever swung a leg over. I just wish it was a little burlier... Low and behold SB-66!

I have faith in these guy's ability to make an all mountain shredder. They know their s#!t!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The head angle on the mojo HD was stupid steep, I did not like it.
It's 67 degrees, which I would not say is "stupid steep". Just going by typical geometry of trail / AM bikes. Actually it's relatively slack for a "trail bike" and right on for many "AM bikes". Personally I like slacker bikes, but you can always use an angleset there if you choose. Point being though, the steering angle is not exactly "stupid steep" compared to other bikes in it's class.

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I've ridden my Mojo HD all over the place. It has 160mm of travel, but it's definitely more skewed to the trail bike side rather than the AM side. Of course you can use it for either, I sure have, but I find that it's just as at home on my local XC trails as it is at Highland. The bike is light, and the front end tests stronger than the breaking strength of DH forks, so burly as well. The HD was really built to match up with a 36 class 160mm fork. There are plenty of light options. Plus if you want it lower and slacker, add angleset! I'm not going to tell you what bike to buy, but if you get a chance to give one a test ride I'm sure that it will stack up very favorably even in comparison to the latest "innovations" that are being marketed against it.

Also someone put a picture up of the Devinci Dixon, which is one of my go-to trail bikes right now. It is lower and slacker than the HD in the low slack setting, and with it's adjustable geometry it can be similar to HD as well. It has 145mm of travel, so less than the HD and really pairs up well with a 32 class 150mm fork.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Out of the ones you listed, I'd say the SB-66. Killer geo, beautiful asthetics, and John P works there.

But since others have thrown out alternatives, I will trot out the obligatory Banshee Spitfire recommendation (which I can personally attest to), as well as a GT Distortion and maybe even the Yeti 575 with a 150 mm bump stick.
I love the SB66 just feels perfect imho, suspension goes unnoticed when you stand up and climb, great feel when going downhill, only complaint is it is a slightly heavy frame and now that the Reverb stealth is going to have a through frame line on the Scott and Trek frames next year, I kind of want to wait for the carbon version to see if they will move the dropper post guides.

Reverb stealth info.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I will trot out the obligatory Banshee Spitfire recommendation (which I can personally attest to)
I second the Spitfire recommendation!! :thumb:

4in travel in back with near DW-like (though not quite all the way) pedaling characteristics, full length seat-tube, tapered HS, geometry optimized for a 160mm fork (66 degrees with a zero-stack lower), and a LOW bottom bracket (about 12.75 I believe with a fox 36 in front). And DANG this bike RIPS. Climbs great, very little tendency to "wander" in front on steep tech climbs and switchbacks, just enough rear susp to help in real nasty stuff, long wheelbase for stability at speed... I could go on and on (but I have to get to a mtg in a few min).
LOVE mine... :weee:

I've been an IH / DW link guy since... well, since the original Hollow-point (1 hollowpoint, one MK3 and two 7pts) I have to say that the spitty climbs almost as well as my MK3 did and descends almost as well as my 7pt.

Last edited:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Maybe look into the knolly bikes. either the endorphin or chilcotin. both are plenty capable. The downside is you would have to wait a month or two.
Take this for what it is... some anecdotal feedback, but a lot of the guys around here that had the Knolly bikes have also BROKEN their knolly bikes. Never an issue before on their intenses, "spots" etc. just the knollys.

Again though, this is just a few guys that I know and may not be indicative of ALL knolly bikes (these were all the chilcotin model btw).

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
I got the itch for a AM ride also which would kill downhill. I ended up with a Intense SS with a 1x9 drivetrain setup 32 tooth front, 34 max rear, Fox 36 Talas, full length seat post, and Works Components 2* slacker headset, 7" airotor front and rear. The angle set does make it harder to cross country, but way better in the steeps (which is what your going uphill for anyways). I made the switch when I stacked hard over a cliff doing stuff I normally did on my DH fine; the bike just threw me over.

I got two setups, MG-1 platform pedals and a DHX 5.0 Coil with a TI spring for more DH or SS type riding weighing in at 33.25 lbs, and another setup with Crank Bros Candy pedals with a DHX Air 5.0 for more uphill at 32 lbs flat. Not super light, but it bombs down the trail. The wheelset is overkill (DT E2200), so there some weight to be loss.

Anyways, good luck on whatever you choose!

Attachments