Quantcast

951 Crank Arm Clearance Issues

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Just built up a small 951 tonight and have somewhat of an issue. I used 165mm saint cranks and spaced the 83mm BB correctly with 2 spacers on drive side and 1 on non drive side.

The issue is the non-drove crank arm comes within what I would all 1/8" from the top of the rear chain stays. I would think this will be an issue as the cranks will flex and rub against the top chainstays

Its strange since I tried searching and only find info that this issue exists with the e13 cranks nothing with the saints. I ran this same setup with 170mm saints on a previous small frame without issue

Attachments

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I had a similar experience on an Intense SSII. The clearance on the seatstays (not chainstays) was very tight, but as soon as the bike is sagged the seatstays move up and out of the way. Never had any contact even though the static clearance was minuscule.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I wonder if the changed the swingarm a bit. I had the same cranks on mine, but I'm sure I had at least 1/4 inch of clearance... Is your bike the 2011?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I had the same problem with my AM HammerSchmidt on my small 951. I had to run a FR HS or the arms hit.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Its a 2010, probably a late model 2010. I have been emailing back and forth with intense today to see what the deal is. They say that when the shock is compressed you wont be in as much contact with the rear seat stay but I just dont feel good about it. Grant it 165mm saint cranks probably wont flex much on a upward motion but still its a DH bike and anything can happen right?

cjm102

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Aus
Only if it was possible to pedal the bike with zero sag. Which it isn't.
I have about 8mm clearance (non drive side) on my Demo with Atlas cranks (165) and have 2 dints in the chain-stay. It only takes 1 burly rock garden.

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
How does the dirve side look? If it has some room themn do some custom spacing with some give and take.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
How does the dirve side look? If it has some room them do some custom spacing with some give and take.
drive side has enough room, I can try moving a spacer over from the drive to the non and see once I get the chain and cassette on and see how much it messes with my chainline.

Just a shame, you pay so much for a frame and have to deal with this. I have not heard back from Intense yet after I have sent pictures. I am curious what they will do. Last time I had the issue with running a 0 stack on a small frame which they said will work, i sent pictures and never heard back from them again

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
drive side has enough room, I can try moving a spacer over from the drive to the non and see once I get the chain and cassette on and see how much it messes with my chainline.

Just a shame, you pay so much for a frame and have to deal with this. I have not heard back from Intense yet after I have sent pictures. I am curious what they will do. Last time I had the issue with running a 0 stack on a small frame which they said will work, i sent pictures and never heard back from them again
Have you checked if the frame/rear triangle is aligned? I'm sure stickman will end up interjecting due to this comment, but Intense has had issues with frame alignment in the past. I would like to think that these issues have been resolved, but when I see things like this I can't help but wonder based on my own and others' experiences. Then again it might be a tight fit.

PS - Sea Otter. For some reason it's not uncommon for companies not to be responsive during it.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Have you checked if the frame/rear triangle is aligned? I'm sure stickman will end up interjecting due to this comment, but Intense has had issues with frame alignment in the past. I would like to think that these issues have been resolved, but when I see things like this I can't help but wonder based on my own and others' experiences. Then again it might be a tight fit.

PS - Sea Otter. For some reason it's not uncommon for companies not to be responsive during it.
I am not sure how I can check alignment on the frame. As I mentioned the drive side doesn't have a ton of space so not sure it could be alignment.

I am very curious how this will turn out, will I just be told ..its ok you wont hit your seat stays and be sent on my way? I dont feel comfortable riding it the way it is, so am I stuck and just going to have to ride a $2,300 frame that has a dented seat stay?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
here is drive side, not a whole bunch of space here, so not sure I can even remove a 2.5mm spacer

had a friend measure his chainstay and his was about 150mm where mine is 154mm. If i had another 4mm more clearance I would be good

Attachments

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looks like you have plenty of clearance on the drive side. Shimano also makes 1.8/.7mm spacers that you can fine tune the chainline with. I'd pull a 2.5mm off the drive side and replace it with a .7mm and a 1.8mm on the non-drive side.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I should be putting my 951 together within the next week. 2010 with Saint Cranks and Hope BB. This has me hoping that I don't have similar issues. I will post (if you don't mind) if I have similar issues.