Quantcast

2024 racing thread

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Lachie had a sick run, as many others! Niec to see Blenki up there with the Zerode too. Great race to watch.

Here's Bernie's headtube bridging the gap between his fork and the rest of his bike.
bksport.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just looked them up. Not terrible actually :)

But it is also a huge time commitment traveling across the world. Flights will burn a day or two and several day on each end for time zone recovery. That can be a huge hit to someone's training schedule and wouldn't be beneficial time off like a good rest day.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That track claimed honestly 10% of the total competitors. I just missed my podium. We were down to 7 guys left from 14 after injuries and bike damage over 3 days.
Mieir-smith got it. Moir second Brosnan third. Considering its moir and Smith’s training track, id say Troy really won that being 2 seconds behind.
Roughest steepest track in Aus.
What was your race Number?
EDIT- Maybe kit and bike brand would be easier, didn't get many plates.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Holy fuck
Horrible frame failure. Nightmare material...

It looked even worst in the live feed, in which it seemed the frame spontaneously snapped on landing. On this video from the side of the track, it seems to have happened in two steps. The frame first cracked on landing, then split completely right after. I wonder if Kerr could have had the reflex to "prepare" for the upcoming crash. It certainly doesn't look like it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
From the live feed it didn't even look to be that bad a case. But I guess that frame has already seen some massive landings good and bad. Going on why the old thermoplastic GTs all failed (I realise these are different technology) I'd have guessed the Alu lugs gave way rather than the carbon tubes but doubt we'll ever know.
[EDIT] folk over on pinkbike wearing out their VHS copies of the race suggesting you can see the lug intact debonded from the carbon. Might even explain why he was so far off on the splits.

Bernard looked to have gotten spat out the front and at least slid rather than one huge impact. Sat up right away so hopefully he'll be OK with a bit of recovery time. But from the visor on the deck his head obviously took a hit. Just over 6wks ish til the circus rolls into Ft William.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Sure seemed like the carbon tubes pulled out from the alloy junction. Like on landing the DT pulled out, just leaving the TT which then snapped. That would indicate some type of corrosion which bonded carbon/aluminum designs are very susceptible to. Really need a good pic of the frame!

I wonder if it was wiggling from the start of the run?
BK qualified fastest, but in his race run started bleeding big chunks of time from the get go.

Ol' Two Chainz going in the scrap bin? It's be hard to get on one of those again and send it after that failure. Imagine if that happened at Hardline, dude would probably still be in the hospital.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Shhhhhhh....
[whispers] New take on in frame storage?
...Don't wake the lizzardz
[/]

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Someone, somewhere, mentioned there was no testing done on these frames.

Well, beyond Bernard testing it and finding it limit.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Sure seemed like the carbon tubes pulled out from the alloy junction. Like on landing the DT pulled out, just leaving the TT which then snapped. That would indicate some type of corrosion which bonded carbon/aluminum designs are very susceptible to. Really need a good pic of the frame!

I wonder if it was wiggling from the start of the run?
BK qualified fastest, but in his race run started bleeding big chunks of time from the get go.

Ol' Two Chainz going in the scrap bin? It's be hard to get on one of those again and send it after that failure. Imagine if that happened at Hardline, dude would probably still be in the hospital.
Is the bonded version supposed to be a prep for market launch, or a test mule that’s easier to assemble than full carbon moulds?

I assumed it was the latter, so maybe this will help them speed up to creating a proper main frame without the easy remove head tube.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Remember how the kiwi junior girls swept the podium at Worlds 2023? Well, there's some 16yo wunderlass from NZ that has been beating those girls at home the past few years that is now hitting the WC circuit in 2024.
Not a WC field but Eliana Hulsebosch is the 16yo wunderlass I mentioned and thats a proper margin plus a time that woulda gotten top 60 in mens.

1710708450058.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is the bonded version supposed to be a prep for market launch, or a test mule that’s easier to assemble than full carbon moulds?

I assumed it was the latter, so maybe this will help them speed up to creating a proper main frame without the easy remove head tube.
There is nothing wrong with the bonded approach if it is designed and manufactured properly. Atherton bikes are bonded, they go the extra step to bond both the ID and OD of the tube to increase load bearing surface area.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not a WC field but Eliana Hulsebosch is the 16yo wunderlass I mentioned and thats a proper margin plus a time that woulda gotten top 60 in mens.
She looked a league above on the feed too... She contending the WC circuit this year? Lookin like she'd give Elite a run for their money if so. Some faaast loooose young guys too. Southern hemisphere lookin extremely promising for the next few years.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
She looked a league above on the feed too... She contending the WC circuit this year? Lookin like she'd give Elite a run for their money if so. Some faaast loooose young guys too. Southern hemisphere lookin extremely promising for the next few years.
Yeah she's off to race Juniors this year. Will be one to watch for sure

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Would one think it wise to send the Hardline frame back to Pivot for testing and inspection, if its a test mule?
What any epic let go!
The up coming kids cant race that way a whole WC season. As thoroughly amazing to watch, its the edge of disaster the whole way, and that wasnt the most technical track.
Quality racing yesterday.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bonded structures (joints) in aerospace need to be stronger than the two joining materials. That's the first thing they thought might have happened to the Airbus that lost it's composite tail and crashed, but analysis showed the bonded junction didn't fail, it was a classic overload. Basically, if a tube pulls out of a joint like that, it needs to take metal with it, as it shouldn't be the bond failing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bonded structures (joints) in aerospace need to be stronger than the two joining materials. That's the first thing they thought might have happened to the Airbus that lost it's composite tail and crashed, but analysis showed the bonded junction didn't fail, it was a classic overload. Basically, if a tube pulls out of a joint like that, it needs to take metal with it, as it shouldn't be the bond failing.
It is pretty wild that it did not really break any of the carbon in the process (at least have a lot remaining in the aluminum).

Surface prep in these joints is super important and easily overlooked for the inexperienced.

Also pretty common to have a layer of fiberglass as the last layer of the composite to prevent galvonic corrosion of the alloy side. Not sure if that is common in the bike industry. I do have an old Fuji touring bike that has a bonded composite rear triangle that I sweated all over and stored on the side of a boat a foot above seawater for a year, the Seat tube, BB, and headset are permanently corroded to the frame and all the alloy nipples turned into dust but the bonded joints seem perfectly fine.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Would one think it wise to send the Hardline frame back to Pivot for testing and inspection, if its a test mule?
What any epic let go!
The up coming kids cant race that way a whole WC season. As thoroughly amazing to watch, its the edge of disaster the whole way, and that wasnt the most technical track.
Quality racing yesterday.
You not gonna tell me what sort of bike and kit you were running at Awaba? Jerk, haha!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Old Aurum, red black. Black fox gear, or Bronze fly 3/4 top raceday. You ride or spectating? Crowd at RockGarden was unreal hey?
Cool, I'll have a look through my photos.
Spectating, only ever raced there once in 09 or10, it was sketchy as shit as I built my bike up the morning of the race.
When I was there the crowd was more rowdy at Double Downs, man the A line on that is nuts, the lander is a bike and a bit long.