Quantcast

2024 racing thread

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
He would have to win 5 of 7 and 4 of 7 races in a season, win 4 wc in a row, chainless win, and put 8+ seconds into 2nd at val di sol. Winning St anne in the wet when 75% of the field had a dry track? The list goes on.
Things Gwin did on a bike were on a level never seen before.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
who said anything about washed up? i was just trying to piss kevin off :busted: gwin's last season of total domination was almost 7 years ago now (2017). sure he had a good 2022, but 3 of the last 5 years he's missed roughly half or more of the races in a season due to injury. that by no means indicates he's washed up, just not as consistent as he once was.
I WANT Gwin to become competitive again, but I think the last couple of years have suggested he needs to push past his comfort zone into crashing territory to be competitive with the top doggs. I don't think he's content with just getting 5th every race like Danny hart, but the push for the top has come with a price.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He would have to win 5 of 7 and 4 of 7 races in a season, win 4 wc in a row, chainless win, and put 8+ seconds into 2nd at val di sol. Winning St anne in the wet when 75% of the field had a dry track? The list goes on.
Things Gwin did on a bike were on a level never seen before.
gwin's sole focus is world cups. Goldstone has already won Redbull Hardline in addition to World Cups. Gwin has never entered Hardline.

Goldstone had two wins and a 3rd in his first year racing Elite, and was only outside the top 6 twice.

Gwins first full season in Elite his best finish was 3rd, and was only top 10 4 of 8 races.

Goldstone's first year in Elite he was 2nd overall. Gwin's first full season in Elite he was 10th overall.

It's not an apples to apples comparison as Gwin didn't race WCs as a Jr, but in Goldstones 2 seasons racing jr, his first year he won 3 of the 6 races, and was second in the races he didn't win. His second year as a jr he won 5 of 8 races, two second place finishes, and one 4th place finish.

I'd say he's already on track to surpass gwin.

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
The past few years the bar has definitely been lifted, all the young guns like Finn, Jackson, Jordan, Daprella, Dunne, Benoit. Add Gwin, Pierron to the mix, wins are not gonna come easy for anyone. Between the returning big dogs and guys like Vermette racing juniors, i've never been more excited for a season.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
gwin's sole focus is world cups. Goldstone has already won Redbull Hardline in addition to World Cups. Gwin has never entered Hardline.

Goldstone had two wins and a 3rd in his first year racing Elite, and was only outside the top 6 twice.

Gwins first full season in Elite his best finish was 3rd, and was only top 10 4 of 8 races.

Goldstone's first year in Elite he was 2nd overall. Gwin's first full season in Elite he was 10th overall.

It's not an apples to apples comparison as Gwin didn't race WCs as a Jr, but in Goldstones 2 seasons racing jr, his first year he won 3 of the 6 races, and was second in the races he didn't win. His second year as a jr he won 5 of 8 races, two second place finishes, and one 4th place finish.

Jackson looked like the guy to beat at the end of last season, for sure. I'm sure the kid will win a few WC overalls and a World champs in his career. I could see him ending up the top rider of his generation when its all said and done.
kid was born and bred to be where he's at.
Gwin was the WC overall champion a 3-4 years after he started Mt biking.
I can't see a world where anyone wins 5 of 7 and 4 of 7 in back to back years, 4 in a row, a chainless win?
Throw in mechanicals, weather, crashes, injuries. Its hard to believe looking back Gwin was able to have that winning %, 5 WC overalls, Nearly matching the all time wc wins record in half the time.
I just can't see it, considering where the sport is, too many fast guys out there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jackson looked like the guy to beat at the end of last season, for sure. I'm sure the kid will win a few WC overalls and a World champs in his career. I could see him ending up the top rider of his generation when its all said and done.
kid was born and bred to be where he's at.
Gwin was the WC overall champion a 3-4 years after he started Mt biking.
I can't see a world where anyone wins 5 of 7 and 4 of 7 in back to back years, 4 in a row, a chainless win?
Throw in mechanicals, weather, crashes, injuries. Its hard to believe looking back Gwin was able to have that winning %, 5 WC overalls, Nearly matching the all time wc wins record in half the time.
I just can't see it, considering where the sport is, too many fast guys out there.
goldstone had a better - and more consistent - first year in elite, in an era widely regarded as far more competitive than any before.

goldstone was picked up by redbull after his first year as a jr. IIRC gwin wasn't picked up by them until after 3 full seasons in elite.

goldstone won 3 in a row his first year as a jr and 4 in a row his second.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I WANT Gwin to become competitive again, but I think the last couple of years have suggested he needs to push past his comfort zone into crashing territory to be competitive with the top doggs. I don't think he's content with just getting 5th every race like Danny hart, but the push for the top has come with a price.
:stupid:

Too bad we're not gonna get to watch it. Thanks UCI/WB/Disco :banghead: :butcher:
Which team has the fastest cheese?
Has to be Commençal. They're the closest to Basque country where the best cheese is from.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Let's not forget Goldstone had an amazing first elite season while dealing with a ruptured appendix and then getting it removed.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
goldstone had a better - and more consistent - first year in elite, in an era widely regarded as far more competitive than any before.

goldstone was picked up by redbull after his first year as a jr. IIRC gwin wasn't picked up by them until after 3 full seasons in elite.

goldstone won 3 in a row his first year as a jr and 4 in a row his second.
Juniors and Elites are not remotely the same thing, not even close.

When Jackson goes 5 of 7 and 4 in a row of 7 in two seasons, wins with no chain, and wins the WC overall 5 times in 7 seasons winning 3 straight titles in 15, 16, and 17 . 19 elite wins in 7 seasons.

I will gladly eat crow

Want to put a wager on it?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

When Jackson goes 5 of 7 and 4 in a row of 7 in two seasons, wins with no chain, and wins the WC overall 5 times in 7 seasons winning 3 straight titles in 15, 16, and 17 . 19 elite wins in 7 seasons.

I will gladly eat crow

You forgot he was a up a Second and 1/2 on Hart at the Worlds in Champrey. He was going so fast he just ran into the Green Mesh, unable to turn or brake hard. Oh how I wish he would up stayed on track. Rob would have dropped Dead if Gwin beat Hart.

Avy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I will gladly eat crow

no, but i'll wager you'll continue to copypasta the same things over and over again. are those laser etched into your nostalgia glasses? ;)

you're definitely right about jrs. but you can't ignore that goldstone was more consistent his first year in elite than gwin, which is noteworthy in the fact that he did it in an era where the consensus is that the racing field is more competitive than ever. and to that point, given the talent of the field, we'll probably never see the kinds of performances we saw from gwin for the sheer fact that the racing level is so high. same way we'll probably never see someone win 10 world championships in 11 seasons the way NV did.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You forgot he was a up a Second and 1/2 on Hart at the Worlds in Champrey. He was going so fast he just ran into the Green Mesh, unable to turn or brake hard. Oh how I wish he would up stayed on track. Rob would have dropped Dead if Gwin beat Hart.

Avy
To be fair if we're going to include every time someone was about to decimate the field and then exploded then Hill and Bryceland would have even more impressive resumes.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
the list of "who would have won but they had an off and are gutted" would be massive
There's a pretty good list of guys that were denied their first (and maybe only) WC win by having the shit luck of being in the same era as one of the greats (Gwin, Bruni, Minaar, Pierron). From memory Gwin basically relegated Fearon and Lucas to silvers. Amaury did the same to Kerr and Jackson to Craik.

Some of those guys could still come back and get one, but bloody hell it would be frustrating for the others.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just a reminder, gwins back to back seasons of pure domination were 12/13 years ago (2011/2012). Let that sink in for a second. Not to say its any less impressive, but longer ago than people may remember.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
To be fair if we're going to include every time someone was about to decimate the field and then exploded then Hill and Bryceland would have even more impressive resumes.
What, Hill comin to Hot up by 7 seconds in the Dry,Bryceland going to Big Snappin the ankle. I hear you’re point,but 13 seconds on the Muddiest, Steepest track Ever,I think takes the cake. Some say,not me,that is the greatest run ever. Even better,nastier that Hills 3 place mud race.

Avy

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

Jacko winning Mt. St. Anne last year has to be one of the best runs from a first-year elite rider ever. And doing shit like Hardline, boosting to the moon at McGazza Fest just for fun, etc.? I mean, come on. It's impossible to compare a rookie to a veteran but in terms of potential, Jackson has the natural talent, support, and resources to bring things to a level that hasn't been seen before. And for sure I know who I'd rather watch.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What, Hill comin to Hot up by 7 seconds in the Dry,Bryceland going to Big Snappin the ankle. I hear you’re point,but 13 seconds on the Muddiest, Steepest track Ever,I think takes the cake. Some say,not me,that is the greatest run ever. Even better,nastier that Hills 3 place mud race.

Avy
What drugs are you on dude? Gwin by 13 seconds? When?

Hill managed to podium at both Champery and Val di Sol - with his crashes. Hell Hill crashed twice in Champery IIRC, and still got third. How is that not better than being up, crashing and winding up somewhere at the back of the field.

Kovarik did 14 seconds in Ft Bill which is still the biggest margin in Elite Mens World Cup.

Gwin's chainless run, his domination of the circuit for several years and his MSA mudder were bloody legendary but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. The guy is one of the best we've ever seen but to diminish the achievements the others have pulled off is just blind favoritism.

Hell Pierron's Les Gets murder run was another case of someone finding time where the whole field simply couldn't.

*edit* do you mean Gwin was up by 13 seconds at a split? Not the final margin? Because Hart still beat Gwin the split before Gwin's crash in Champery if thats the one you're referring to

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Jacko winning Mt. St. Anne last year has to be one of the best runs from a first-year elite rider ever. And doing shit like Hardline, boosting to the moon at McGazza Fest just for fun, etc.? I mean, come on. It's impossible to compare a rookie to a veteran but in terms of potential, Jackson has the natural talent, support, and resources to bring things to a level that hasn't been seen before. And for sure I know who I'd rather watch.
Where is all the French Lovin Monkeys? You scared Boys? Scared of the 100 pound Canadian? You all ain’t talkin no shit today,real quiet,like a Church Mouse. Don’t for a minute think Avy forgot All the shit you threw at me. How Bruni should be President,how Amery is God,how Daprella is the next coming. The French Invasion,come on,what’s all this Love for Gwin?

OG,I told these Monkeys,that ”if” Gwin can top Greg,that I will Die before it is Broken. Oh Boy,all the Monkeys were up in a roar saying crazy shit. I still stand by that statement. I like Goldilocks,I fear the new format will prevent the record being broken for the simple fact of the new format. It is not Fair!

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Hill managed to podium at both Champery and Val di Sol - with his crashes. Hell Hill crashed twice in Champery IIRC, and still got third. How is that not better than being up, crashing and winding up somewhere at the back of the field.

Kovarik did 14 seconds in Ft Bill which is still the biggest margin in Elite Mens World Cup.

Gwin's chainless run, his domination of the circuit for several years and his MSA mudder were bloody legendary but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. The guy is one of the best we've ever seen but to diminish the achievements the others have pulled off is just blind favoritism.

Hell Pierron's Les Gets murder run was another case of someone finding time where the whole field simply couldn't.

*edit* do you mean Gwin was up by 13 seconds at a split? Not the final margin? Because Hart still beat Gwin the split before Gwin's crash in Champery if thats the one you're referring to

No,what I was saying is this: Hart won that Worlds by 13 seconds,you must have not known that?

Gwin who has never won a Worlds,was up on Hart by split 3? Then he crashed.

No,Hart was not up on Gwin before the crash. Gwin was up,go back and look.

I was saying,that for that Race,on that Mountain,under the worst conditions possible,tobe up by a Second 1/2 is Insane. I feel he would have won.

It was a Race tobe known as the Greatest Ever. Hence,the reason I brought it up.

Avy

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
No,what I was saying is this: Hart won that Worlds by 13 seconds,you must have not known that?

Gwin who has never won a Worlds,was up on Hart by split 3? Then he crashed.
1707443556538.png

That's the results I found. I'll try to find more but those don't show Gwin up on Hart at either split.

Was never up on Hart.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah. That's why. :thumb:

8-)
Sorry Gary,I was workin in a hurry and fucked up that last sentence.

I feel that the new Format is Garbage. For many reasons:

More abuse on the bike. Most of the Field does not have the money. Travel,food,and last lodging/race fees. And you want me to do extra runs?

They have Buried the Whole Rush,pure heart ponding One Run for Glory Format? They have destroyed it. Fucking Stupid Ass Bullshit. I don’t care what anyone says,those Boys are being short changed. There is nothing good about it.

You probally don’t care what I think,sorry to ramble.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
View attachment 207451

That's the results I found. I'll try to find more but those don't show Gwin up on Hart at either split.

Was never up on Hart.
Ok,I have never seen that sheet. Here is what I am going off of,my memory.

The YT video of it from FreeCaster. At the end of the video,after Danny won,there is a very short video of Gwin‘s Run. It shows the crash,Rob was very surprised and sald,he’s up,and by over a second. Then Gwin hits the mesh shortly after that comment. Word.

Avy

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ok,I have never seen that sheet. Here is what I am going off of,my memory.

The YT video of it from FreeCaster. At the end of the video,after Danny won,there is a very short video of Gwin‘s Run. It shows the crash,Rob was very surprised and sald,he’s up,and by over a second. Then Gwin hits the mesh shortly after that comment. Word.

Avy
Yeah he was definitely on pace - would have been good to see a clean run. He did qualify quickest too. Rob was lagered during that broadcast so could be slightly inaccurate reporting going on.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah he was definitely on pace - would have been good to see a clean run. He did qualify quickest too. Rob was lagered during that broadcast so could be slightly inaccurate reporting going on.
Thank You Brother. Gwin is my Favorite as you know,and Avy does not forget those little details about such matters. Racing is about the clock.

Which I must tell you. While it’s true Rob was feeling proper,the clock on the Video is Green. Details I know,but the World must know. I remember being in that moment seeing him crash live,it was terrible.

Avy

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz

Avy
Karver. Hes the boss’ Boss

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Finally!

We have answers...https://www.bikeradar.com/features/snow-bike-world-championships-explained

Another reason to say Fuckyoufuckoffcunt to Gracia.

Ambassador of the discipline and former junior downhill world champion, Cédric Gracia, has described the Snow Bike World Championships as “something totally new in the world of cycling. It's about technique, analysing the snow, reflection and strategy”.

Gracia is also keen to build the hype around the UCI’s latest discipline: “It's going to be incredible,” he predicts.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Apparently two new DH World Champions have just been crowned. Relatively unknown riders by all accounts (completely unknown to me) . But not to worry. No one saw it so each of them can just continue to go about their business in peace as usual without drama or the threat of annoying sponsorship deals to worry about. Bravo UCI. Bravo.
Luckily for the new men's world champ. First place seeded rider Peter Sagan decided not to go.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Unpopular opinion. I don't hate it. I hate that it's the UCI and that it's the "World Championships" for a discipline that they seemingly just made up for the hell of it. And riding bikes on snow is inherently kind of dumb when skis are a thing (I'll give a pass to the start of the Mega). But it also has Kamikaze and high speed grass turn racing vibes, which I think is kind of fun when all of the WC tracks are increasingly the same.

Last edited: