2024 racing thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
On a rare occasion you see them in Aus. I like them so notice when i catch one.
Yeah my first MTB was a GT Timberline. I used to want the old LTS Boomerang haha. Now I wouldn't even know a shop that stocks any of their bikes except a few of their DJs

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

SO GIANT HULKYBEAST WHO CAN'T FOLLOW A TRAIN OF THOUGHT

Which scenario do you think is likely to put one in more contact with other bike riders? A smaller area with more people, or a larger area with fewer people? You will encounter far more fellow mountainbikers, and hence get a greater cross section of what bikes people are riding in.........

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
SO GIANT HULKYBEAST WHO CAN'T FOLLOW A TRAIN OF THOUGHT

Which scenario do you think is likely to put one in more contact with other bike riders? A smaller area with more people, or a larger area with fewer people? You will encounter far more fellow mountainbikers, and hence get a greater cross section of what bikes people are riding in.........
1706045110558.png

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I don't know what you're griping about, that's plenty for you to kick and spit on to feel better about yourself.

Probably could get away with building only one encampment!
I'm sure your government would be happy (as the western class leading experts) to show them how to build one.
Has it ever occurred to either of you to get a fucking grip?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I was trolling Gary, okay. :banana:
M'kay...
over half of the population of your entire country :rofl:
Four and a half times larger than the one I live in. With twice the land area
But... Those numbers alone certainly don't make a place "better".
I've always got the impression the US would be far too restrictive a place to live for ease of riding bikes off road (Possibly with the exception of gravel riding. Which in the US seems to just be road riding away from cars, ironically on Dirt roads in far better condition than our actual roads)
It's not just because of your stupid restrictive rules everywhere though. Even in the places you can ride you still don't seem to be able to share and get on with each other too well. The Creation of sub niches and snobbery between slightly different groups attempting to exclude each other seems just as sad.
I'm not sure the average American could even begin to imagine what the reality of free land access shared without restriction throughout an entire country (even countries far smaller than one of your States) allows.

[EDIT] Damn. too slow. Seems we're now using the homeless to point score between who's country's bestest.
FML

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
But... Those numbers alone certainly don't make a place "better".
sorry I'll edit my post where I said that

I'm talking about southern california for fuck's sake, I hate anywhere with more than 4 people in one place :rofl:

I've always got the impression the US would be far too restrictive a place to live for ease of riding bikes off road (Possibly with the exception of gravel riding. Which in the US seems to just be road riding away from cars, ironically on Dirt roads in far better condition than our actual roads)
It's not just because of your stupid restrictive rules everywhere though. Even in the places you can ride you still don't seem to be able to share and get on with each other too well. The Creation of sub niches and snobbery between slightly different groups attempting to exclude each other seems just as sad.
I'm not sure the average American could even begin to imagine what the reality of free land access shared without restriction throughout an entire country (even countries far smaller than one of your States) allows.
eyesdarting.gif

don't nobody tell him about the billions of acres of public land out here :rofl:

Most of the bitching comes from city folks on some of the only stressed infrastructure where there's definitely some manufactured scarcity. Closing things off to undesirables in the name of some high minded ideal of conservation is a literal business here. We make philosophical enemies because there's money in it. There's still a whole lot of empty space up in this joint. Our massive amounts of USFS and BLM land are probably the only reason I haven't snuck across the border to somewhere else at this point. It's why euros who do outdoor things come and stay. In most ways it's WAY less restrictive than shit in the EU. I can go ride a dirtbike for hundreds of miles on singletrack all over the western US. East Coast of the US is a lot more like you describe.

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Yeah my first MTB was a GT Timberline. I used to want the old LTS Boomerang haha. Now I wouldn't even know a shop that stocks any of their bikes except a few of their DJs
Same. Then I “bought” an LTS 2. Only because a local appliance store that also sold GT bikes for some reason would finance bikes for anyone through whoever they financed appliances with. Destroyed my credit at an early age, but I had an LTS 2. Oy vey.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
sorry I'll edit my post where I said that

I'm talking about southern california for fuck's sake, I hate anywhere with more than 4 people in one place :rofl:

View attachment 206742

don't nobody tell him about the billions of acres of public land out here :rofl:

Most of the bitching comes from city folks on some of the only stressed infrastructure where there's definitely some manufactured scarcity. Closing things off to undesirables in the name of some high minded ideal of conservation is a literal business here. We make philosophical enemies because there's money in it. There's still a whole lot of empty space up in this joint. Our massive amounts of USFS and BLM land are probably the only reason I haven't snuck across the border to somewhere else at this point. It's why euros who do outdoor things come and stay. In most ways it's WAY less restrictive than shit in the EU. I can go ride a dirtbike for hundreds of miles on singletrack all over the western US. East Coast of the US is a lot more like you describe.
thanks for the explanation.
Here. it's not just "public land" we can legally ride on other people's land. So long as we're not dicks about it. it's a level of freedom way above the rest of the UK

I live on a farm with just 3 neighbours. We're outnumbered by animals by over 100 to 1.
I quite like people (mostly) though so ride 20miles into the city 4 days a week so they can come and see me

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
it's not just "public land" we can legally ride on other people's land. So long as we're not dicks about it. it's a level of freedom way above the rest of the UK
Some of the older colony states have something similar. Maybe JBP could elaborate but some of it is tied to old commonwealth law if I remember correctly. I've seen several places here where property owners will grant an easement for trails. Mostly in other states where people live on earth and aren't raging assholes like in california.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Some of the older colony states have something similar. Maybe JBP could elaborate but some of it is tied to old commonwealth law if I remember correctly. I've seen several places here where property owners will grant an easement for trails. Mostly in other states where people live on earth and aren't raging assholes like in california.
Allowing an easement or access is different than just being allowed to travel across someone's property.

Anywhere in North America, if you get told to piss off and get off private land, there isn't much you can do about it. Even here in Canaderp.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Okay is there anyone on RM who DIDN'T have a GT timberline?
Me. Had 4 different GT hardtails over the years (All Alu though) and a couple of STS DH bikes. TBF ALL their Alu hardtails from 93/4 onwards rode pretty much exactly the same right up until wheelsize changed.
My teenage daughter has an old GT Aggressor I gave her for kicking about the place on with no worries if it gets stolen

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Allowing an easement or access is different than just being allowed to travel across someone's property.
No shit

That's not what I'm talking about. I made the parallel with some new england states because there IS a parallel to be made. It's not as blanket as what you guys have I'm sure but it is similar.

A bunch of snowmobile trails exist like this in upstate new york.

Me. Had 4 different GT hardtails over the years (All Alu though) and a couple of STS DH bikes. TBF ALL their Alu hardtails from 93/4 onwards rode pretty much exactly the same right up until wheelsize changed.
My teenage daughter has an old GT Aggressor I gave her for kicking about the place on with no worries if it gets stolen
Close enough. You can come in the clubhouse on wednesdays.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
gettin creepy

Okay is there anyone on RM who DIDN'T have a GT timberline?
Raises hand.
Lot of my friends had Karakorams and I sooo wanted one but could not afford it. Instead I started with a cheap Peugeot and progressed later to a Raleigh Dyna-Tech. I nearly got my hands on a Grove X frame though, but got lured away by the titanium main tubes of the Dyna-Tech.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
STS Dh bikes.. multiple! You were my hero 22 yrs ago.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
GT Karakoram and Zaskar in the 90's for me.

I never see GT's here. Actually kinda hard to find, but so are a lot of brands.

Man I loved that Zaskar.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
never experienced the joy of the triple triangle...or i-drive :rofl: no gt dealers near me meant a gary fisher kaitai replaced ye olde trek 820 when it was time.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I had a GT Ruckus hard tail with an awful DJ3 up front, and some slightly worrying Magura brakes. But the frame was solid, and did exactly what I needed it to do. Would ruckus again.

Edit: I also had a road bike from GT. A bit heavy, a bit cramped, but worked well enough and really good value. Rode like lightening compared to the ancient steel bike it replaced.

Both bikes were stolen, with the Ruckus being a replacement for a different hard tail that was also stolen. The road bike has its lock ground off whilst it was in the “secure” car park in my apartment.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Multiple because they kept breaking... Still a hero tho
The head shop mechanic at my local had a few of those STS things. That was such an impressive looking front triangle when new, but the carbon kept sort of cracking/delaminating/splintering at the edges where it went into the aluminium bits.

GT Karakoram and Zaskar in the 90's for me.

I never see GT's here. Actually kinda hard to find, but so are a lot of brands.

Man I loved that Zaskar.
The polished ally Zaskar frame was so impressive. I wanted one of those instead of my purple chromoly Timberline haha. There was one at the shop with yellow Judy SLs and those dark grey XTR V brakes :drool:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The head shop mechanic at my local had a few of those STS things. That was such an impressive looking front triangle when new, but the carbon kept sort of cracking/delaminating/splintering at the edges where it went into the aluminium bits
The carbon (thermoplastic) absorbed moisture, expanded and contracted.. So as the Ali "bits" wrapped the plastic but didn't expand/contract with it they tended to fatigue and break. I broke many. But never any of the plastic. The most impressive (to me at the time) was snapping a BB shell off the front triangle.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah. Agreed.

Its funny how you listen to broadcasters you actually like. I know plenty of bros that listen to the radio while watching the TV. Only because of who is on the mic. More mainstream sports, but yeah, it's a thing.

I do enjoy Rock Jesus's input. Having listened to many ex NFL players try to be a commentator? As a comparison? AG is good. Like really good. He Seems logical and value inputted. He knows the tracks. Even very specific parts that can catch you up. That's the stuff I want to hear. The dudes who just yell into the mic at what's going on? Not so much. That's when I just put it on mute.

I guess Warner just yelled into the mic, too. But at least it was awesome*

^Awesome being subjective to my analysis and love of the awesomeness :D
was chatting with a buddy yesterday (IRL) and we were discussing Rob's podcast and how shitty commentating has been without him. We both agreed AG did a great job, and made it interesting. then it dawned on me... he hasn't announced his new team yet. his former riders are on different teams. his team seems to have been disbanded. he just bought a bike park. he's been battling with injuries for a loooong time. could he be retiring from racing and trying his hand at announcing full time? any chance of that? wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

also, in the RC podcast, Rob never says he wouldn't go back to announcing. he did say he really likes working for Redbull, but didn't say he wouldn't work for WB-Disco... any chance of that happening?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
was chatting with a buddy yesterday (IRL) and we were discussing Rob's podcast and how shitty commentating has been without him. We both agreed AG did a great job, and made it interesting. then it dawned on me... he hasn't announced his new team yet. his former riders are on different teams. his team seems to have been disbanded. he just bought a bike park. he's been battling with injuries for a loooong time. could he be retiring from racing and trying his hand at announcing full time? any chance of that? wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

also, in the RC podcast, Rob never says he wouldn't go back to announcing. he did say he really likes working for Redbull, but didn't say he wouldn't work for WB-Disco... any chance of that happening?
Aaron recently talked about racing on a podcast (can't remember which one...), but he basically said that if he can race, he's going to race. Its been a month since that, but I think he also mentioned being open to more announcing - but the two don't mix, its one or the other due to the amount of work involved (for both).