Quantcast

2024 racing thread

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What do you think the chances of an autistic guy accepting a job offer from a company he feels ruined his life? I'd have thought fairly low.
In the podcast it's clear Rob still loves the world cup. When asked he did say that he still follows the results but finds it difficult to follow the racing as much as he'd like.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I remember an interview somewhere re: world cup 2024 where Wyn says get rid of the semifinals and replace the commentary team.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I remember an interview somewhere re: world cup 2024 where Wyn says get rid of the semifinals and replace the commentary team.
Wyn and pretty much everyone else.

Not doing semi/finals on the same day is an OK step, but still crappy having semi finals at all.

If the GOAT is still heavily involved with the UCI (I think he still is), I bet he'll try his best to put something in there so he has a better chance of actually making the finals this year seeing as he has a new $ponsor.
Like any rider that has been on the circuit for 20 years is protected. :p

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Not doing semi/finals on the same day is an OK step, but still crappy having semi finals at all.

If the GOAT is still heavily involved with the UCI (I think he still is), I bet he'll try his best to put something in there so he has a better chance of actually making the finals this year seeing as he has a new $ponsor.
From other interviews last year, though not with Minnaar directly, it sounds like the two rider representatives don't actually do much (for multiple reasons, time constraints etc) and that even if they did, they probably have very little influence.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

They need a master's class for the olds and the RM fanbase.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
how TF can Forbidden afford such a large team?! even if they're only supplying the bikes, that's still a heck of a lot of bikes...
Seeing as next to no one will have even heard of half of them maybe it's a "buy in" team. For guys named "William". They probably thought EMMY was short for William. Money is money afterall.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Feels like a lot of it goes back to him, ironic he was a racer once now just interested in the money.
there are earlier threads on this very site when the spirit of eNdUrO was just getting going under him and his dipshit little series.

Almost 10 years ago now, everyone was pissed at his incessant courting of the UCI and stating its sanctioning as a goal

Some people deserve their stupidity. He could have taken over mountainbiking. Instead he just assimilated into everything wrong with it. He WANTED to do exactly that.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Gwin's choice of frame will be interesting. Financially I would guess he's at a point where if the frame money was remotely close he would take a financial hit in exchange for riding the bike that gives him the best chance to win?

As a fan my #1 choice for him would be the Intense M-1, designed and developed just for him and Dak.
His years of total domination combined with the neverending injuries give people the false idea that he is washed up.
look at the 2022 race results he was right there with the top guys.
Right there with Dakotah on the prototype.
Gwin beat Dak 3 of 7 WC races, and was on the same second at Leogang and less that 1/10th back at les gets
3 podiums at Val di sole, Andorra, and St Anne.

Fast forward to 2023 on the new M-1 Dak was up and down but by the end of the year he was clearly at a WC winning pace.
If Gwin can find that 2022 pace on the M-1, My WC bike math suggests he's competing for wins again.

Please let it be the M-1:rockout:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
His years of total domination combined with the neverending injuries give people the false idea that he is washed up.
who said anything about washed up? i was just trying to piss kevin off :busted: gwin's last season of total domination was almost 7 years ago now (2017). sure he had a good 2022, but 3 of the last 5 years he's missed roughly half or more of the races in a season due to injury. that by no means indicates he's washed up, just not as consistent as he once was.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
who said anything about washed up? i was just trying to piss kevin off :busted: gwin's last season of total domination was almost 7 years ago now (2017). sure he had a good 2022, but 3 of the last 5 years he's missed roughly half or more of the races in a season due to injury. that by no means indicates he's washed up, just not as consistent as he once was.
I wasn't talking about you in particular, I know you are a longtime/knowledgable race fan like many on here. Alot of the newer fans have no idea/ no respect for his god given ability. no pun intended
He won't consistently win like he did during his run, nobody ever has or ever will reach that level of domination. but
I think Gwin at even at 95% of what he was is fast enough to win races. The M-1 has to give him the best chance.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wasn't talking about you in particular, I know you are a longtime/knowledgable race fan like many on here. Alot of the newer fans have no idea/ no respect for his god given ability. no pun intended
He won't consistently win like he did during his run, nobody ever has or ever will reach that level of domination. but
I think Gwin at even at 95% of what he was is fast enough to win races. The M-1 has to give him the best chance.
counterpoint to that is some longtime fans are so blinded by nostalgia they can't even take off their rose colored glasses when it's objectively - and accurately - pointed out that his results of the last few years reflect a much different era of his career. i'm getting downvoted to hell over on vital right now for exactly that. :rofl: i'd expect that on pinkbike, but not vital.

he's definitely still got it in him to win when he's firing on all cyclinders, even with today's highly competitive field.

how's that old saying go - the only bad press is no press? i bet he's just staying quiet right now to generate drama and chatter. after all the time he invested in the development on the new M1 it'd be a little odd to just walk away.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
counterpoint to that is some longtime fans are so blinded by nostalgia they can't even take off their rose colored glasses when it's objectively - and accurately - pointed out that his results of the last few years reflect a much different era of his career. i'm getting downvoted to hell over on vital right now for exactly that. :rofl: i'd expect that on pinkbike, but not vital.

he's definitely still got it in him to win when he's firing on all cyclinders, even with today's highly competitive field.

how's that old saying go - the only bad press is no press? i bet he's just staying quiet right now to generate drama and chatter. after all the time he invested in the development on the new M1 it'd be a little odd to just walk away.
I may be blinded a little, I understand father time is undefeated.
The fact that he was right there with Dak in 22 on an equal bike, and Dak was the fastest guy on the Hill a few times last year, gives me alot of hope for Gwin if he ends up on the M-1.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I may be blinded a little, I understand father time is undefeated.
The fact that he was right there with Dak in 22 on an equal bike, and Dak was the fastest guy on the Hill a few times last year, gives me alot of hope for Gwin if he ends up on the M-1.
nothing wrong with being nostalgic. but when it prevents one from being objective and realistic is when its an issue.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Legal age here in his native land of Canuck is 19, so ha has started his second legal year for beers just last week.