Quantcast

2024 racing thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ln case anybody was wondering as I was what part the hip Asa broke.

Iliac Crest - 8-12 weeks is the usual from what i read.

View attachment 209465
That probably isn't as bad as snapping the ball.off the end of the femur like I was thinking. But that looks like muscle ripping off a chunk of bone which I am guessing requires surgery to fix. At least a few drywall screws.

Google informs.me it is kind of common for athletic yoots.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
That probably isn't as bad as snapping the ball.off the end of the femur like I was thinking. But that looks like muscle ripping off a chunk of bone which I am guessing requires surgery to fix. At least a few drywall screws.

Google informs.me it is kind of common for athletic yoots.
I was with a buddy who went into a tree upside down at a goodly rate of fuel consumption, the result was a snapped femur just below the ball and socket with a helping of nerve damage included. The worst part was after he regained consciousness, tried to move and yea... Got him stable and at that point I had to leave to go get help. Talk about feeling helpless. That was intense and I would not wish that on anybody friend or foe. He spent a few weeks (month?) in the hospital. Lotsa titanium and a long recovery. He was a good rider, but no longer rides.

Wishing Asa a successful and quick recovery.

<edit> Checked with him. 6 weeks total in hospital, 3 weeks in the hospital he had the surgery in then 3 weeks in a different hossy for rehab.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was with a buddy who went into a tree upside down at a goodly rate of fuel consumption, the result was a snapped femur just below the ball and socket with a helping of nerve damage included. The worst part was after he regained consciousness, tried to move and yea... Got him stable and at that point I had to leave to go get help. Talk about feeling helpless. That was intense and I would not wish that on anybody friend or foe. He spent a few weeks (month?) in the hospital. Lotsa titanium and a long recovery. He was a good rider, but no longer rides.

Wishing Asa a successful and quick recovery.

<edit> Checked with him. 6 weeks total in hospital, 3 weeks in the hospital he had the surgery in then 3 weeks in a different hossy for rehab.
The long term problem with that break is that the end of the femur loses blood flow and ultimately dies and will quickly wear out. Thankfully hip replacements today are pretty successful but I used to work an old dude who had one leg several inches shorter than the other. The bone just ground into dust and his leg got shorter and shorter. When hip replacements became viable they weren't able to stretch his muscles/tendons enough to restore the l.ength

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The long term problem with that break is that the end of the femur loses blood flow and ultimately dies and will quickly wear out. Thankfully hip replacements today are pretty successful but I used to work an old dude who had one leg several inches shorter than the other. The bone just ground into dust and his leg got shorter and shorter. When hip replacements became viable they weren't able to stretch his muscles/tendons enough to restore the l.ength
man you wanna know some even more fucked up ways people break their hips and pelvis? because i've seen some things :twitch:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yo buck,mabye those sensor’s,or whatever the fuck they are,made him crash? They turnt On as he was taking a turn,there by braking when he did Not want to Brake?

I Like this Kid,not sure why,as I have seen so little of him,but I Like um. I have a feeling,nuff said. Such a Brutal injury. The crash did not look bad,but there was little coverage? Yes he is young,but that is when we gain confidence,I was hoping for a little time before a big injury. So his journey begins. I will be watching.

I was taken back to SuperT,he is on my tool chest,the RB he won on the green SC V10 with the Silver Shiver. After that he did Kranked 5? That rode gap off the bridge. Fucking landed and hit the tree I think? His shit was facing the wrong way. His shit was LifeLong injury,of course we do not understand that until we are older.

I member I shook his hand at SeaOtter after that video,he was on a Cane with a Bad Hobble. I told him you are a BadMother Fucker,I am sorry for your pain. He said thank you for the Love. The year before That, I was at SeaOtter and he was with Dangerous Dan and the crew Rockin Yeti’s with Rolhoof hubs. It was a Trip,the Rolhoof with Yeti? I went up to Dan and was StarStruck,I ask many a questions,first being,how do you like that fucking grip shift for the Rolhoof? It’s ok,no problems. Works great. I said May I try it? Yes you may he said. Unreal,fuckin bike felt like a Tank,which I Love,also,the shifting was Butter. I Hate GripShift,but that was a Proper Smooth Feel.

Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yo buck,mabye those sensor’s,or whatever the fuck they are,made him crash? They turnt On as he was taking a turn,there by braking when he did Not want to Brake?

I Like this Kid,not sure why,as I have seen so little of him,but I Like um. I have a feeling,nuff said. Such a Brutal injury. The crash did not look bad,but there was little coverage? Yes he is young,but that is when we gain confidence,I was hoping for a little time before a big injury. So his journey begins. I will be watching.

I was taken back to SuperT,he is on my tool chest,the RB he won on the green SC V10 with the Silver Shiver. After that he did Kranked 5? That rode gap off the bridge. Fucking landed and hit the tree I think? His shit was facing the wrong way. His shit was LifeLong injury,of course we do not understand that until we are older.

I member I shook his hand at SeaOtter after that video,he was on a Cane with a Bad Hobble. I told him you are a BadMother Fucker,I am sorry for your pain. He said thank you for the Love. The year before That, I was at SeaOtter and he was with Dangerous Dan and the crew Rockin Yeti’s with Rolhoof hubs. It was a Trip,the Rolhoof with Yeti? I went up to Dan and was StarStruck,I ask many a questions,first being,how do you like that fucking grip shift for the Rolhoof? It’s ok,no problems. Works great. I said May I try it? Yes you may he said. Unreal,fuckin bike felt like a Tank,which I Love,also,the shifting was Butter. I Hate GripShift,but that was a Proper Smooth Feel.

Avy
Yeah, he is an incredible rider! I’m sure he’ll be back soon and show what he’s capable of.

I don’t know much about the DH version of live valve or the brake sensors.

Looks to me like he was just committed on a flat and bumpy turn and slid out. Bad luck…. 8 to 12 weeks out his Dad says.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Avy

Rohloff FFS

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, he is an incredible rider! I’m sure he’ll be back soon and show what he’s capable of.

I don’t know much about the DH version of live valve or the brake sensors.

Looks to me like he was just committed on a flat and bumpy turn and slid out. Bad luck…. 8 to 12 weeks out his Dad says.

Yeah,I was kidding about the High Tech cover on the brakes. I would like to know what it is? Shit looks like a dust cover. The way he crashed from what little I could see did not look bad? There must have been a Boulder there? Goldie‘s crash made me take a Breath when I saw it. It did not look good at all in comparison.

Did you notice how soft his sussie was? He was workin,as well as that Frame which did look good. Word!

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Why not? You already speak Wannabe Edgelord, Arrogant and Pompous, What's another?
mykel,I Love you’re thought. I don’t like tobe Nasty. I am a Fool who thinks that People are Honest & have the best possible intention’s. I have since learnt that this is not this case. Also,it take’s a lot of engery tobe Negative. I am of the thought: That Nobody likes a Bad Attitude.

I do not know why sethimus spend’s so much Effort into being a Cunt? I must say,I read most all of his post’s. Much to offer he has. Young,Handsom,proper Bike,has a Ton of knowledge of the Bike World. Though,it has a limit due to age.

I just want to Hug Him,and tell him,it’s OK Brother,let’s have some Bread and Cheese.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just put youtube on and 2nd in my recommendations is LIVE Women's U23 UCI cross country world cup. race presented by Eurosport with no commentary. Like zero..
WTF?

Says there's 4.7k watching. I didn't last 5mins. With no commentary it's like watching paint dry.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Just put youtube on and 2nd in my recommendations is LIVE Women's U23 UCI cross country world cup. race presented by Eurosport with no commentary. Like zero..
WTF?

Says there's 4.7k watching. I didn't last 5mins. With no commentary it's like watching paint dry.
I mean listening to some of the dh commentary last year you'd have been better with nothing,. They were absolutely toilet!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You both do kinda have a point. But with the majority of an XC race not exactly being the most super exciting spectacle it def needs some sort commentary at least for context, with some background chat and introduction/information about the riders. Even more so when it's the U23s. (I think I'd struggle to name more than one U23 XC racer). Warner used to do a ton of homework on this. and with Bart to bounce off on the livestream the two of them did an amazing job of keeping you interested.
These clowns might as well save their production cost and go straight to the tried and tested EWS formula of a broken live spreadsheet and no live video footage at all.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
WTF?

They did that with the Men's U23 as well, when it was live there was no commentary.
But then the replay had commentary...I don't know what is going on.

It sucked at first because I don't know 90% of the riders by looking at them, but once the gaps got established it wasn't that bad. I sure didn't miss Ric with his "there's nothing in it" and other gems.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Gary, worse case scenario, we can always get together with Sethi and dub over the live feed. Though I'm worried with how well WB/Disco is handling this they might thing we sound coherent, on topic and offer us a job.

As for the no commentary. It's weird since this is kinda my field of work now (well not bikes but sports on tv) and if you're not going live or streaming on your platform there is little reason to spend money on commentary afterwards. So someone must have screwed up. Recorded the commentary for some place (???) and then forgot to put it live on youtube or some functionality was broken on their side to provide it to youtube.