The full breakdown of the weight savings is as follows:

Air Spring: -152g
Lower Leg Casting: -150g
Upper Tubes: -89g
Upper Crown: -45g
RC2 Damper: -24g
Lower Crown: -18g
Steering Stop Bumpers: -4g

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/First-Ride-Air-Sprung-Fox-40-Float-RC2-Fork--The-Truth-is-Reveal.html

Fox 40 Float RC2 Highlights:

• Travel: 203-millimeters (8 inches)
• Adjustable air spring system with titanium coil-type negative spring
• Air-volume adjustment feature to control end-stroke spring rate
• RC2 damping system
• Lighter weight: 482 grams less than 2012 40 (521g w/direct-mount stem)
• All new chassis: Taper-butted stanchions, new lower casting, new crown design
• Air-bleed buttons on sliders to equalize internal fork pressure
• Kashima coated stanchions and RC2 damper shaft
• Low-Friction SKS seals throughout
• Post-type caliper mounts
• Wheel options: 26 or 27.5-inch wheels (different sliders)
• Stated weight: 5.8 pounds
• MSRP: $1700 USD
• Available: Summer 2013

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Pretty good weight savings. I wanna know how the seals will feel at 40mm vs say a Boxxer or Dorado....

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Also the DHX RC2/RC4 is back to 1/2" shafts and no Boost Valve for 2014.

Finally they are doing something right in the shock department... 5/8" was retarded and Boost Valve sucks.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
A Fox 40 that weights 5.8lbs :eek:,that's lighter than Boxxer World Cup Keronite!!

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
still with a coil negative spring. Weird.

edit: looks like they already have tuning options available...good.

Love the progressivity too..awesome adjustment.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I think it may be, finally, the reason to say "hello, again" to triple crown fork, in the near future :)

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It looks like they have done a good job with this one. I'm sure the boys at SRAM are scrambling to get something new on the table.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
these look soooo buttaaa. well now ive got three options (this, emarald, and x fusion) when i get around to ordering forks for my bike in a couple of months. this isnt going to be easy, but im sure ill be happy with what i end up with (i just wanna ride!)

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
still with a coil negative spring. Weird.

edit: looks like they already have tuning options available...good.

Love the progressivity too..awesome adjustment.
Air negative spring just adds more seals, stiction, problems, issues, forks stuck down in travel, etc, etc, etc.

I am stoked for the coil negative spring! Air spring w/ coil negative really is best of both worlds in terms of fine-tune-ability, plushness, and reliability. As long as they have a few different neg springs available for large weight differences (which they do).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Air negative spring just adds more seals, stiction, problems, issues, forks stuck down in travel, etc, etc, etc.

I am stoked for the coil negative spring! Air spring w/ coil negative really is best of both worlds in terms of fine-tune-ability, plushness, and reliability. As long as they have a few different neg springs available for large weight differences (which they do).
My thoughts exactly, rode the 40 RAD last season and while it felt good I was a bit worried they were going with a single option for negative spring, but with a few choices it should be sorted.

I don't think it felt quite as low on stiction as the coil fork, as an air fork will always have at least n+1 sliding seals with a coil negative, or n+2 with an air negative - where n is the number of seals on an otherwise similar coil fork, however it's good to see Fox have gone with the better option of the two.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
played a little bit with HUR-polygon team 40 floats couple months back, tough didn't got chance to ride them. something to note is when we pressed the air bleed knobs, it squirts oil a wee bit.. maybe on the proto forks only but i wonder how much oil left in lowers, considering closed bath etc.

anyway, really nice forks in person, much more tidy and and attention to detail. the only thing that i don't really like is the arch... and maybe the price, considering no service center/support in my country (indonesia) but they sell tons of unit here every year.

sold my '12 40 last november for this, and been using 888 V2 until maybe 2nd version of 40 float / coil with new chassis.

Last edited:

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
So what are everybody's thoughts on them redesigning the arch and the crowns to add some 'flex' to the fork? One of the 40's selling points all along is how much stiffer it is than its competition. Would be interesting to see some scientific test numbers to compare old and new 40 to the competition just to see a quantified representation to what they are doing with this latest evolution.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So what are everybody's thoughts on them redesigning the arch and the crowns to add some 'flex' to the fork? One of the 40's selling points all along is how much stiffer it is than its competition. Would be interesting to see some scientific test numbers to compare old and new 40 to the competition just to see a quantified representation to what they are doing with this latest evolution.

How much flex can you design into such a beefy chassis? It will still be stiffer than a honeymoon d!ck.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So the fork upgrades boil down to 3 things from what I can tell:

if you sat in between spring sizes, fret no longer because now we have a solution - one ever so slightly stickier fork that lets you get the right spring rate - also, because its an airspring, they can get rid of the hydraulic BO and just use volume adjusters in the airspring.

slightly more then half pound lighter

is flexier because it turns out a little bit of compliance isn't really a bad thing as long as its not so flexy that it jackknifes under you in hard corning.

It seems eerily similar to a boxxer WC. But I'm sure people will love it more because everbudy hates RS and loves fox and RS is for pussy ass bitch n00bs who don't know what they're talking about.

The shock difference seems to come down to "we made it less progressive and slightly smoother" which I guess is sweet if you have a more progressive frame.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Call me old fashioned but, whilst it sounds good on paper, I'm a little concerned that the lowers will now be even more prone to puncturing and shuttle damage. Is it too much to ask that practicality gets designed into products these days, or are consumers too set in the OMFG it's the best thing EVA!!!!111 mentality?

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Looks like a nice evolution of the platform, but I ain't buying until the inevitable first generation kinks get worked out.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It seems eerily similar to a boxxer WC. But I'm sure people will love it more because everbudy hates RS and loves fox and RS is for pussy ass bitch n00bs who don't know what they're talking about.
no way man, RS products are two gud for 97% of riders, so us wankers have to stick to things like Fox products and their inferior products like skf seals and pressurized dampers. All forks are really quite similar when you hash them down to their components...it's what they're assembled into that makes them worth buying. The boxxer isn't necessarily a fundamentally flawed product. It's just let down by crappy seals and low quality/crooked castings, adjusters that spin freely right out of the box, and terrible cross-marketing ideas like drop stop that work in theory, but not implementation.

The concept that companies exist almost solely to remove Fox's marketing gimmick (that of the boost valve) and do very well for themselves, is an indicator that maybe the most demanding riders are on to something.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah, I'm just razzing you fox lovers because everybody here sh¡ts on RS all the time, and then the minute fox takes a leaf out of RS book, everybody thinks its the second coming of christ. I actually like the 40 on my bike a lot, its the second one I've had, and the newer damper is a nice improvement over the older style. Likewise, I liked the DHX5 on my old session, and I like the newer RC4 even more. Fox is all about these incremental consistent improvements, and I think that's awesome.

I also like that marzocchi dropped the M arch and fox picked it up.