Quantcast

2013 Saint:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Shoot... So what is the deal with the Saint levers? I have an older set and I just ordered a complete new pair for my DH bike. Wondering what I might be getting myself into here!!

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
Look at the... Saint rotors! :D
They are ridiculous :D
meh... aluminum has a very small heat capacity (that's why it conducts heat well) so the "ice tech" rotors should be warming up very quickly which is not nice. idk how well can that alu core extension dump the heat to the air, ice tech seems more a fail than win to me. would prefer they went the hope vented rotor way. :think:

edit - oh and yuck, centerlock. hopefully there will be a 6-bolt version.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
If they're sold like the XTR/XT brakes, they won't come with rotors, so run whatever you want. I've been using Avid rotors with my XT brakes since day 1, no problems.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Must resist urge to pre-order new Saint brakes to replace completely-fine-and-reliable old Saint brakes...

**edit** Surely the "cheaper" Zee chainring actually cost more to make than the top-of-the-line Saint one? Unless the alloy is special, they're just throwing away material to make the cheaper version heavier/less appealling than the expensive version.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
**edit** Surely the "cheaper" Zee chainring actually cost more to make than the top-of-the-line Saint one? Unless the alloy is special, they're just throwing away material to make the cheaper version heavier/less appealling than the expensive version.
There looks to be some machining on the Saint.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Shoot... So what is the deal with the Saint levers? I have an older set and I just ordered a complete new pair for my DH bike. Wondering what I might be getting myself into here!!
Nothing you'll notice. They don't have a split perch and the bite point adjustment does nothing. The lever blade is narrow, which is more taster's choice than real complaint. Some people have problems with air entering the lines. I had mine for about 2.5 years, shortened the hoses and bled them myself, and I had no problems with a good bleed. With a bad/uncertain bleed, I definitely had some of the phantom power issues that other people have. I LOVED my saint brakes, I only wish the lever were a bit better...looks like they fixed it.

Although, the 'zee' brakes with a pair of saint pads/fins look spectacular for the non-"thanks mom" crowd.

Also, isn't the aluminum core designed to draw heat away from the steel? in other words, the coductivity of aluminum is a good thing, as it will "suck" heat from the steel faces and move it down into the spider where there is larger capacity for absorbtion. Maybe I'm talking out my ass, but most people seem to like them in the XC world.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
most people seem to like them in the XC world.
alu is good only if it can dump the heat fast enough (i am very doubtful of this, it would take much more surface area), otherwise the rotors will run hotter than the ordinary steel ones. i might be wrong about this so we best wait for reviews.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
New brakes seem to be well tested by the fastest riders, so I think Ice-Tech rotors are reliable, but on the other hand Gwin or Gee look like don't use brake much during the ride ;)

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
New brakes seem to be well tested by the fastest riders, so I think Ice-Tech rotors are reliable, but on the other hand Gwin or Gee look like don't use brake much during the ride ;)
yeah, i guess their braking is short and strong so the rotors have time to cool off. i am worried about dragging the brakes slowly...

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
If they're sold like the XTR/XT brakes, they won't come with rotors, so run whatever you want. I've been using Avid rotors with my XT brakes since day 1, no problems.

Any shimano brake for that matter,and most brake compagnies now a days for the obvious reason.

I had icetechs,and bent one on a day out,got a replacement 1 piece,went back a week,and still my front brake was always more consistant cause of that ice tech.

I need to actualy order a new one to replace that 1 piece.

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
There were plenty of little problems with the old brakes that a lot of people experienced (me included) like leaking from the reservoirs ...
Actually this was the only problem I had with Shimano levers. Not even with the Saint ones, but with old XTR.

Took me ages to realize, that the top cap has a specific mounting direction and can not be flipped around. If you look at the seal, you will not notice which side has to be installed closer to your handlebars. But if you take off the seal, you will find a very small groove at on side of the top cap. This is the side which has to be installed closer to your bar. No leaking anymore.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That wasn't the issue I was describing - plenty of people got them warrantied multiple times because they leaked legitimately. The growing lever throw was also an annoyance, moreso than the leakage which didn't really bother me. It's long to begin with but would get even closer to the bar over time.

Plenty of them seem to work just fine too, and when they did occur I found those problems didn't make the brake unusable or dangerous, just irritating. The new style levers don't seem to have any of these issues, I'd happily give the new ones a go.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I will not touch it unless they add a bash guard taco style.
I don't get it, isn't that what it is? I seem to hear a lot of bad things about the ISCG mounted bash, in particular, it destroys your frame instead of your cranks in a big enough crash. This looks like it'll protect both while still managing the same light weight.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I don't get it, isn't that what it is? I seem to hear a lot of bad things about the ISCG mounted bash, in particular, it destroys your frame instead of your cranks in a big enough crash. This looks like it'll protect both while still managing the same light weight.
it's attached to the chainring spider and rotates with your pedal strokes.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Right, but it's still taco sized, only now it's also crank mounted, making it the best of both worlds?
if you think so. personally my current bash device isn't only seeing action when my cranks are in the 'correct' position.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Well, the partial bash clears the guide so a full bash should work fine as well. Maybe it will even be an option?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
One look at my current SRS bashie seems to indicate that I manage to smack the thing pretty hard from just about every direction, even directions that make no sense (ie near the crank arm). Having a bashie that requires a specific crank orientation isn't a bad idea in some kind of perfect world scenario, but I don't think it would do the job for me.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Shimano has just sent us local printed newsletter. There are some weights there:
SL-M820-I - 114g
SL-M820-I - 123g
FC-M820 68/73mm - 919g (however, don't specified what's in the set)
FC-M825 83mm - 931g
RD-M820-SS - 280g
HB-M820 - 216g
FH-M820 - 333g
FH-M825 - 340g
FH-M828 - 336G
SM-RT99 - 173g
Complete brakeset (for one wheel, w/o rotor) - 302g
PD-MX80 - 500g

No info about Zee or updated XT and SLX, yet.