Quantcast

2013 Saint:

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Looks great!

Slightly disappointed they went with Xtr-esque chainring bolts. Had nothing but trouble with mine and they weigh more than standard ones...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Looks great!

Slightly disappointed they went with Xtr-esque chainring bolts. Had nothing but trouble with mine and they weigh more than standard ones...
That is a semi-fail. These are the only shots up to now, so maybe there's more material on the crank, or those are covers or something...?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looks great!

How so? I have the XTR and love the super clean look - no problems whatsoever.

Really digging the new Saint and the pedals look pretty cool.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
No weird rotor shown, yet? Prepare yourself for a surprise :D
Pedals went on serious diet, but still... far from current flats standard, IMO.
As for the crankset, I hope it lost some weight but kept the its strength :)

BTW, no word/pic of Zee? ;>

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
It looks great, and don't get me wrong when I say this, but other than the clutch on the rear der I can't see how it will be worth the money over the older stuff. Not that the newer stuff won't be good of course. I'm sure it will be amazing. Its just that the current SAINT stuff is just awesome. Other than a few small changes (slightly lighter I'd bet, and maybe the brakes) I don't know that it would justify an upgrade, ya know>?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
The RD is the only piece there that I see and feel like I have to have it.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
No weird rotor shown, yet? Prepare yourself for a surprise :D
Pedals went on serious diet, but still... far from current flats standard, IMO.
As for the crankset, I hope it lost some weight but kept the its strength :)

BTW, no word/pic of Zee? ;>
Observation noted. But they have slimmed down a ton! maybe more to come if there are still bugs and the need is there. But honestly that seems pretty normal as far pedals go. Not super thin like Twenty6 or Canfield or Spank, but they look about the width if not thinner than proven Straitlines and Atomlabs. I have the atomlabs, maybe a bit thinner than these Saints, but still thin enough. I feel like riding pedals modeled with the thickness of poster board and the tread pattern of nails is sketchy, little thin for my standards. These Saints seem to be a perfect width

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
It looks great, and don't get me wrong when I say this, but other than the clutch on the rear der I can't see how it will be worth the money over the older stuff. Not that the newer stuff won't be good of course. I'm sure it will be amazing. Its just that the current SAINT stuff is just awesome. Other than a few small changes (slightly lighter I'd bet, and maybe the brakes) I don't know that it would justify an upgrade, ya know>?
The main upgrade for me that's obvious is the brakeset. Better lever design, top loading pads, probably lighter too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wonder if the brakes will come with those Ice-Tech rotors that XT/XTR have been running? I'd be all over a set of those brakes.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Wonder if the brakes will come with those Ice-Tech rotors that XT/XTR have been running? I'd be all over a set of those brakes.
I remember hearing that the ice tech rotors were not ideal for DH, and especially heavier riders. Apparently the rotor materials can seperate under extreme heat. (Aka fatty dragging brakes down DH runs.)

But this is rumor, I dont recall where, or how often - but since this is teh w3b, here ya go!

All that shiny is nice, I keep finding ways to bankrupt myself; I want it all, but as said above, the only 'critical' piece for me is the RD (and shifter by proxy as I expect it's 10 speed)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
o lawd me likey those brakes. looks like they fixed the levers and added radiators without screwing anything else up. yay!

to derpmachine:
yeah, it's not a 100% new product, but I'd rather see evolution than a brand new shiny to be replacedSRAM everytimeSRAM it breakSRAM. You get some advanced machining/forging on the derailleur, plus the clutch, completely revised brake levers, a slightly sveltier crankset, and all of it should work from day 1.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
anybody care to elaborate on the crankbolts? haven't seen XTR in reallife so far, so whats thedeal with the cranks?
used to love old saint cranks...

so far i am thrilled about the brakes and the rear der. :) hope i will be able to ide again 2013

EDIT: nevermind somebody posted this on pb

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M820-3384_v1_m56577569830799254.pdf
I haven't seen them in real life, but from the PDF you posted, it looks like anyone who didn't like the funky bolts could just run the regular ones instead?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I remember hearing that the ice tech rotors were not ideal for DH, and especially heavier riders. Apparently the rotor materials can seperate under extreme heat. (Aka fatty dragging brakes down DH runs.)

But this is rumor, I dont recall where, or how often - but since this is teh w3b, here ya go!

All that shiny is nice, I keep finding ways to bankrupt myself; I want it all, but as said above, the only 'critical' piece for me is the RD (and shifter by proxy as I expect it's 10 speed)
"Documents we’ve seen indicate the rotors will use “ICE Technologies,” which likely means they will have a three-layer design like XTR based around an aluminum core with steel braking surfaces for better heat management. The brakes also will use the finned brake pads introduced on XTR Trail brakes this year."

http://www.bicycling.com/mountainbikecom/bikes-gear/2013-mountain-bike-gear-news-and-rumors

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I haven't seen them in real life, but from the PDF you posted, it looks like anyone who didn't like the funky bolts could just run the regular ones instead?
This is correct. The spider tabs are normal and you could use standard chainring bolts if you wanted. The stock setup is just so damned cool though :)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
This is correct. The spider tabs are normal and you could use standard chainring bolts if you wanted. The stock setup is just so damned cool though :)
It is cool. Sure, you could lose the slick "nuts," but at least you're not committed to running them. Removable for bash ring use too...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The current saint stuff is great, don't get me wrong. But there is room for improvement. It hasn't been mentioned much but shimano 10 speed has a better actuation ratio than the 9 speed. So it should be less finicky to adjust and hold its tune longer. The brakes will probably be the biggest upgrade though. Ergonomically I've been disappointed with previous shimano levers. The latest offerings have been the most comfortable levers I've tried. Better heat dissapation too, sweet.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I agree. However, I don't feel like waiting for them so I'm going to give the XT lever/ Saint caliper a try.
I am with you, but if I decide to upgrade front caliper, I will most probably use Zee, which seem to be the same constructionas new Saint.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It looks great, and don't get me wrong when I say this, but other than the clutch on the rear der I can't see how it will be worth the money over the older stuff. Its just that the current SAINT stuff is just awesome.
There were plenty of little problems with the old brakes that a lot of people experienced (me included) like leaking from the reservoirs and excessively long lever throw that got longer over time requiring attention/correction. I think they should have updated them sooner than waiting for the new model to roll around if anything, but regardless, it looks like these should be very nice judging by their other brakes with the same lever.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Love my Saint stopper but have to agree completely on the levers. Stoke there is a change considering I have been holding off till I could find something better - bonza now I have it. Happy with my rear mech but the shifter could be better, I need both so I will get to try this upgrade too.
Never been disapointed with Shimano durability and ease of setup, if they make improvements with same track record they will really be top.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
One last warranty claim on my leaky Saint lever set (3rd time) and then I'll sell them for XT. I appreciate their warranty department but come on....just fix the issue already.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Love my Saint stopper but have to agree completely on the levers. Stoke there is a change considering I have been holding off till I could find something better - bonza now I have it. Happy with my rear mech but the shifter could be better, I need both so I will get to try this upgrade too.
Never been disapointed with Shimano durability and ease of setup, if they make improvements with same track record they will really be top.
+1 I was a huge fan of the gen 1 Saint brakes, had my set forever. This past year I got a set of the v2's, the levers sucked bad, calipers were great.

Called up Shimano and threw some XTR Levers on the calipers, problem solved. IMO it's the best setup around.