Quantcast

2013 Knolly Bikes Podium

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Cant see from the pic. Is it a single pivot rear triangle? If so, it seems to me that they could have gotten the same leverage curves etc with less pivots.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
It has two more pivots than a short link 4-bar ala dw/vpp using which you can get any brake response/shock leverage ratio you want.

As I understand it, it was done to get around the FSR patent, though he might have done it just for a bit extra seat tube, seems a bit over the top.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Even if the links are just to avoid the FSR Patent or to get an un-interrupted seat tube, having a unique suspension system is always a good thing. It makes the brand stand out from the rest.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Having unnecessary complicated suspension system makes the brand stand out in a really negative way, at least for me.
For example GT bikes would be really sweet without that stupid I-drive semi-URT design. Same goes for Lapierre, drop the Pendbox and I will take the DH bike seriously again.
For those who say you need this Knolly 7-pivot design to have uniterrupted seattube, look at Specialized Status for instance.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If the hardware is good I see no reason to complain. The light year long chainstay was a bigger problem here. That and the fact that the previous model looked kinda strange compared to the great looking proto. It's a valid option though unless I get to test ride a jedi I doubt I will change my legend for anything non carbon now. I see little substantial progress in bikes from ca 2010 outside of new materials.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
Having unnecessary complicated suspension system makes the brand stand out in a really negative way, at least for me.
For example GT bikes would be really sweet without that stupid I-drive semi-URT design. Same goes for Lapierre, drop the Pendbox and I will take the DH bike seriously again.
For those who say you need this Knolly 7-pivot design to have uniterrupted seattube, look at Specialized Status for instance.
Your comparing a honda civic in the status to a ferrari. Knolly 4x4 suspension is pretty much bullet proof. Knolly bikes are function over form and they function very very well.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I tried not to get sucked into a response for such a frikken lame ass thread. Knolly is building incredible bikes that are durable and perform flawlessly. Havent heard of a negative review, zero quality issues and geo is spot on. The suspension platform is supple, nice and progressive at the end but still jumps like a dream.......... Sh!t I am I am talking to a bunch of people that look at a picture and speculate. What a waste of time. Long chainstays, feck the bike was built to go fast. This is not a Wallmart bike. People buy Knolly because they get what they are looking for and they know what they want. 17.5" is not long for a race rig and believe me Knoel is listening. If the peeps are not happy then expect changes, in fact I believe 2013 will see some changes which might make you a little happier.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I tried not to get sucked into a response for such a frikken lame ass thread. Knolly is building incredible bikes that are durable and perform flawlessly. Havent heard of a negative review, zero quality issues and geo is spot on. The suspension platform is supple, nice and progressive at the end but still jumps like a dream.......... Sh!t I am I am talking to a bunch of people that look at a picture and speculate. What a waste of time. Long chainstays, feck the bike was built to go fast. This is not a Wallmart bike. People buy Knolly because they get what they are looking for and they know what they want. 17.5" is not long for a race rig and believe me Knoel is listening. If the peeps are not happy then expect changes, in fact I believe 2013 will see some changes which might make you a little happier.

Finally what I've always wanted in a DH race bike, a vertical, uninterrupted seat tube. If only it had a water bottle mount too.

I dig the green though, and the integrated bumpers.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Looks nice.
I rode a friend's Podium around a bit, took it down a few hills. Felt good, low. The only thing I didn't care for was the extremely long rear end. He didn't care for it either, which is why he ended up selling it.

We did all agree that the finish was amazing, welds were beautiful. Bike looked sharp, well executed.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
The suspension platform is supple, nice and progressive at the end but still jumps like a dream.
it's actually slightly degressive at the end but not so much shock can't make up for it.

this is not pinkbike, dawg.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
17.6 is very very long for a race rig. I would not describe it as "jumping like a dream" so much as "wallowing like a cow" (at least when it comes to anything that involves getting the wheels off the ground).

it does go fast well, and it will go even faster once they shorten the chainstays and lengthen the top tube. The suspension is dialed, I'd like to see that remain the same, and it'll be fycking baddass. Basically, the current iteration is a "skip" because there are too many good bikes on the market, but once those CS get shortened, it'll be wicked.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
17.6 is very very long for a race rig. I would not describe it as "jumping like a dream" so much as "wallowing like a cow" (at least when it comes to anything that involves getting the wheels off the ground).

it does go fast well, and it will go even faster once they shorten the chainstays and lengthen the top tube. The suspension is dialed, I'd like to see that remain the same, and it'll be fycking baddass. Basically, the current iteration is a "skip" because there are too many good bikes on the market, but once those CS get shortened, it'll be wicked.
It depends where you race. I agree that for most riding and racing 17.6 is Loooong though that also should depend on the wheelpath but if I only rode WC and top tracks in yurp I'd gladly take that CS length.
Also some adjustable frames offer going that long. Commencal I think went to 17.75 or 18 in their previous model. Last year Gee bike was 18.25''.

nolson450

Chimp
May 26, 2009
In the age of lighter, simpler, carbon or streamlined aluminum DH bikes, you have this over complicated, heavy, ..... I just don't see someone's logic as to why they would consider buying this bike...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Specializeds (how the hell do you pronounce that?) have 4 chainstays. People love them. How do you explain that? I can't understand a regressive shock rate nor the "uninterrupted seat tube", but otherwise knolly is known to make a good bike, even if it is made in taiwan :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This IS their lighter, simpler streamlined bike, as opposed to their others. They aren't bad, but they are an FSR-go-around, nothing that can't be achieved with one linkage and most likely less weight. Their V-tach was something like 13+lb with coil shock, Delerium was 11 with same. They came out with a streamlined delerium and dropped a ton of weight. The knolly philosophy has been "overbuilt" from the beginning, as if they are not really intended to win any races, but who can knock them for building something that can run season after season? The main issue was the bikes were so overbuilt as to be counter-productive for most users (lugging lots of extra lbs). It's probably not the best way to market/sell bikes, but they got their followers. I also think suspension has progressed a good deal beyond what these offer, but again their philosophy is a bit different...

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
the ignorant ones here are those who haven't ridden one yet. i pity those fools ;)
Ridden what a podium or a status? I ride a podium every weekend. great bike that handles very will and jumps amazing. I've never ridden a status but I rode a 2012 demo once and the podium handled better, but it wasn't a fair comparison though because that demo was setup with entry level components and wasn't really tuned for me. I also had a 2012 glory that i built up (it's currently for sale), imo the podium was a better handling bike than that as well, at least for me it was.

I haven't ridden the new podium but I can bet it will be lighter and handle just as good or better than the current model. Love it or hate it knolly's 4x4 suspension has been proven reliable and has been used at events like the 2010 redbull rampage.

Last edited:

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
nobody's saying it doesn't work/is unreliable - it's more complex and probably heavier than necessary, there are extra sets of bearings to change when they die.

if it really is a fsr patent workaround (if it's not it's plain nonsense aiming at tool customers with no ability to think critically), it will be gone when the patent expires which i've read somewhere should happen soon. if it's not gone by then, you can put knolly in the same basket with ellsworth.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
you can put knolly in the same basket with ellsworth.
Take that back!

But your right, knolly's suspension design is a bit busy and too a lot of people, really ugly. When I first saw a knolly delirium t 3 years ago I thought it was hideous until about a year later when I got to ride a delirium, which later resulted in me buying one. It's basically an fsr stacked on top of an fsr. Never heard about the patent issue, so I doubt there is one.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
this frame is supposed to weigh 10.5 lbs with shock. the new sworks demo carbon weighs 10.2 lbs with with shock so not so bad there.
chainstay length is 17.5 and is part of the bike's geo and not its defining figure.the old model could jump quite well and this one is a tad shorter.
the linkage is "complicated", however it works beautifully and the maintenance on it is close to zero so whats the problem ?
i agree that for this frame's msrp one could prefer carbon but there are apparently still allot of people that do not trust carbon for dh yet and most carbon dh frames are becoming much more expensive (303 - 3.5k , session 9.9 - 4.2k ... )
finally, regarding looks - for each is own :)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The funniest thing about this thread is the long chainstay comments. 17.5 is pretty much standard.

I put my M9 in the long 17.75 setting and actually felt the bike come alive even more. The rear end actually breaks loose to a drift much easier for me. After thinking about it, I'm guessing it's due to weight transfer. (Rider weight shifted even farther forward from the rear wheel...)

I can still get the front wheel up when I need to, but I'm not riding manuals down skinnys Wade godfather style...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
The funniest thing about this thread is the long chainstay comments. 17.5 is pretty much standard.

I put my M9 in the long 17.75 setting and actually felt the bike come alive even more. The rear end actually breaks loose to a drift much easier for me. After thinking about it, I'm guessing it's due to weight transfer. (Rider weight shifted even farther forward from the rear wheel...)

I can still get the front wheel up when I need to, but I'm not riding manuals down skinnys Wade godfather style...
True, on paper the bike doesn't stray far from the current norm.

In regards to my comment, I was just relating how the bike felt to me on the trail. It just felt long. Wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just different and I'm sure something I would probably get used to. But for the short time I was on it, it felt awkward.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Ridden what a podium or a status? I ride a podium every weekend. great bike that handles very will and jumps amazing. I've never ridden a status but I rode a 2012 demo once and the podium handled better, but it wasn't a fair comparison though because that demo was setup with entry level components and wasn't really tuned for me. I also had a 2012 glory that i built up (it's currently for sale), imo the podium was a better handling bike than that as well, at least for it was.

I haven't ridden the new podium but I can bet it will be lighter and handle just as good or better than the current model. Love it or hate it knolly's 4x4 suspension has been proven reliable and has been used at events like the 2010 redbull rampage.
<-- podium rider from day 1

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
nobody's saying it doesn't work/is unreliable - it's more complex and probably heavier than necessary, there are extra sets of bearings to change when they die.
Once again, have you seen a Specialized Demo? They've been around for a little while now...

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
But Demo does not have seven pivots.

I like Colin Chapman way of making racing equipment, keep it as light and simple as possible.
Four pivots is still alright, seven is overkill in my opinion even if the actual bike rides well.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
Once again, have you seen a Specialized Demo? They've been around for a little while now...
:rolleyes: the second chainstay actually makes some sense on the latest demos. on the knolly it really is - yo dawg, we heard you like your shock to be driven by links so we put a link on a link to drive your shock.