Quantcast

2012 Windham World Cup

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
After watching the women's race you've gotta see why Ragot is pissed. Talk about crummy luck, and after she got DQ'ed at Leogang last year for crossing the tape she's probably wondering wtf with Rach. Rachel was clearly the fastest though I guess.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Cheers for the link.

Not that it really matters, but I laugh when Brian commentates on all the riders kit haha. Otherwise, he's pretty good at the commentating gig.
Lopes thinks that:

you can't stay on flat pedals through rock gardens

tld combos look rad

fox gear looks rad

Fox Suspension works nicely

Rock Shox supensions works nicely too

Oakleys blue lenses help you adjusting to the sudden light and shadow changes

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I'll be surprised if they don't make a change to Rachael Atherton. I can't imagine anyone really believing that she didn't gain considerable time not going back to where she left the course. It was easily the difference in 1st and 7th and a huge impact on the overall World Cup results.
She was 5 seconds up before her near crash? She didn't gain anything

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Gotta say Gwin is pure class. He was hanging in the pits, saw my kids went up and high five'd them and made small talk for a bit. An hour before a race you take time out for that? Now that's a winner.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
She was 5 seconds up before her near crash? She didn't gain anything
She goofed and left the course. There was no direct gain from the route she took, but had she re-entered where she left, she certainly would have lost time.

The rule is too subjective and is applied unevenly. You should be required to re-enter where you leave the course.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Emmeline Ragot (Team GR), who was disqualified after crashing and rejoining the race at a different spot on the course.
http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=21934

must suck to be ragot. First the big crash that cost her the first spot then Rachel taking away the overall by a questionable commisaire decisionn based upon a rule that was changed and interpreted in favour of her worst opponent where she got disqualified just a year ago.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
WTF how did Beaumont get up so quickly from that crazy crash?
I was standing 10' away from Beaumont when he went down in practice in the morning and I couldn't believe he got up from that. Super fast section right after the road gap and he caught a rock with his front wheel on the berm and it taco'd big time, actually took 20-30 seconds for him to get up and then he was walking real weird on the side of the course like he rung his bell or something. I thought he was done for day.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Chris Ball on the twitter: "Shame I had to listen to complaints about rules that people hadn't actually read."
“4.1.035 If a rider exits the course for any reason, he/she must return to the course at the same point from
which he/she exited. If the president of the commissaires panel deems that the rider gained advantage, the rider is disqualified (DSQ).”

So now I've read it, and I still say she should have been DQ'd for not rejoining where she left.

I don't blame Rach as much as I blame the UCI official.

More discussion in the comments. I wonder if Ragot's comment is actually Ragot or a fake?

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/rachel-atherton-wins-windham-world-cup-results.html

Awesome racing overall though, was hoping Stevie would get his first win but 1 sec off of Gwin is still an awesome showing. Can't wait for the post-race videos to pop up, going to be insane!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Found it odd that Gwin dropped chains on both qualifying and finals runs. This problem has been solved for a really long time. Remember the days of Mr. Dirt Gizmo ♦♦♦ and MRP aluminum bash guards mangling the chain?

Maybe it's time to get a new chainguide sponsor? :)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Chris Ball on the twitter: "Shame I had to listen to complaints about rules that people hadn't actually read."
Wow, really professional response from a UCI delegate and have to say that the hash tag #dosomehomework is equally classy too :rolleyes:

If a rider exits the course for any reason, he/she must return to the course at the same point from
which he/she exited. If the president of the commissaires panel deems that the rider gained advantage, the rider is disqualified (DSQ).
Pretty awfully written rule right there. So it explicitly states that a rider must return to the course at the same point. However in the next breath it ambiguously implies that the commissaries panel makes the final ruling on what is actually gaining an advantage of riding off course. Can't blame Ragot for being pissed as up till this point it seems that every instance where a rider has crashed or bobbled off course and continued through he/she has been DQ'd. Seeing the technical delegate openly bitch on twitter only makes it all the more laughable as he can't grasp the the clear rational and previous empirical evidence used to counter the commissaries decision.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Pretty awfully written rule right there. So it explicitly states that a rider must return to the course at the same point. However in the next breath it ambiguously implies that the commissaries panel makes the final ruling on what is actually gaining an advantage of riding off course. Can't blame Ragot for being pissed as up till this point it seems that every instance where a rider has crashed or bobbled off course and continued through he/she has been DQ'd. Seeing the technical delegate openly bitch on twitter only makes it all the more laughable as he can't grasp the the clear rational and previous empirical evidence used to counter the commissaries decision.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/GwIndependence-Day-Comes-Early-Windham-World-Cup-DH-Finals,3946/Slideshow,0/sspomer,2

Chris explains it in one of these slides. The rule has been changed recently, and to me it makes sense.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/GwIndependence-Day-Comes-Early-Windham-World-Cup-DH-Finals,3946/Slideshow,0/sspomer,2

Chris explains it in one of these slides. The rule has been changed recently, and to me it makes sense.
Don't currently have audio, but this is exactly how the rule was written last year as well so I don't see how anything has changed??? Did he elaborate how this was any different than the DQ to Matti Lehikoinen and Ragot at Leogang, and also Peaty at La Bresse last year under the exact same rule???

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Side note: as we walked by the Syndicate pits Sunday, my 4 year old decided to comment on their freehub choice by loudly exclaiming, "What a horrible sound!" Got a laugh out of Miami Bryce!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Side note: as we walked by the Syndicate pits Sunday, my 4 year old decided to comment on their freehub choice by loudly exclaiming, "What a horrible sound!" Got a laugh out of Miami Bryce!
Ha, well at least your 3 year old did not say, loudly of course, "Daddy, are you SURE dose are girls?" while walking through the pits last year at Nationals.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Lopes thinks that:

you can't stay on flat pedals through rock gardens

tld combos look rad

fox gear looks rad

Fox Suspension works nicely

Rock Shox supensions works nicely too

Oakleys blue lenses help you adjusting to the sudden light and shadow changes
I'm glad I was not the only one to pick up on his sponsor plugs. Lame.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Profro, sounded to me like lopes was just calling it as he sees it?
He is not 'sponsored' by Fox, RockShox, (He is an xfusion athlete), Foxhead and he only wears our (TLD) knee guards (sponsored for kit by pearl izumi).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You are only allowed to go through the tape and not go back to where you exited if you finish in the top 3 and your name is Hill or Atherton. :D

In skiing, your run is done and gone missing a single turn by a millimeter. With our sport, it's so interpretive with the way courses are laid out. Heck, I've seen world cups where they laid out an intended chicane where the pros were bunny hopping the entire turn and straight lining.

In the instant where you actually break the tape, you have to be able to look past yourself and your desire to still salvage a run and just realize your run is over and you have to re-enter where you left. It is honestly the only way to be completely unbiased to all the other riders out there.

I know it sounds silly, but if you're bunny hopping over a curve of tape and not breaking the tape, that's just poor course design. Snap the tape and exit the course and you've failed. Either take a DQ or go back up.

In Champerey that would suck for the person stuck 100 yards down course with no way to climb back up. But you gotta stay on course. Heck, even video games reset a dead guy at the point he left the game. :rofl:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Profro, sounded to me like lopes was just calling it as he sees it?
He is not 'sponsored' by Fox, RockShox, (He is an xfusion athlete), Foxhead and he only wears our (TLD) knee guards (sponsored for kit by pearl izumi).
I think Lopes was just trying to try various topics. To the casual observer, it sounds like he's plugging sponsors when he literally says the name of the brand as opposed to an unbiased observation about the tint of a lens being needed or maybe a slim cut uniform being a technical advantage.

We all spot the Oakley stuff that him and Rob have in the booth at the first and we're cool with it. We'd all do the same. BL is learning on the fly and I'm sure he'll keep refining. Good job overall. Still need more delirious screams in the booth though.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
IIRC Peaty kept it absolutely lit through the tapes as opposed to doing everything he possibly could to get around the pole (e.g. slamming on the anchors), Rachel was mid way through having a fairly hefty incident. That makes a fair difference in my book
Exactly! Same stuff applies to MX racing too. It depends on the situation, and if they gain any advantage by it, then its an issue.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I got Beaumont's helmet!:D Wished him well on my way through the pits and he just gave it to me and said it had "a little cosmetic damage". Looks like he took a good crash with it on but It'll still be replacing my 5yo lid once I track down a new visor. THANKS FOR THE NEW HELMET MARC!