Quantcast

2012 Windham World Cup

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
He crashed pretty hard in that lid, twice...maybe keep it as a memento rather than using it.

Cool souvenir though!

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
He crashed pretty hard in that lid, twice...maybe keep it as a memento rather than using it.

Cool souvenir though!
Yeah in practice he hit his head pretty hard and was disoriented for a few minutes. I bet he had to have a slight concussion, especially after his race crash, the visor was almost ripped off.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Profro, sounded to me like lopes was just calling it as he sees it?
Sort of like
Hey. I'm Ricky Bobby. When you're workin' on your mysterious lady parts and stuff, you should have the right tools too. That's why you should use... MayPax. The official tampon of NASCAR.
It sounded like he was just waiting to bring up products be his sponsors or not.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm glad I was not the only one to pick up on his sponsor plugs. Lame.
Ah I don't think thats the case, merely commenting on stuff he knows about I guess. Its cool finding out more about these pros while their in the commentary box. I still miss Barel's detailed analysis of each of the rider's suspension settings and braking points. That guy was a guru.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Loosing the chain twice - what guide is he running?
FWIW - I talked to Monkey and he said the chain wasn't actually off, but rather it got a loop in front of the chainring. Almost the same effect, but just to clarify that the chain wasn't off to the side or wedged between ring and BB or ring and crankarm.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
FWIW - I talked to Monkey and he said the chain wasn't actually off, but rather it got a loop in front of the chainring. Almost the same effect, but just to clarify that the chain wasn't off to the side or wedged between ring and BB or ring and crankarm.
Monk Dawg acting professional as usual :thumb:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd rather loose my chain than have it jamming my cranks in an uncomfortable position.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
It wasn't jammed, it just wasn't engaged very well. Monkey said that in the quali run, he could have pedaled it back on (and in fact did after the race), but he thought it was gone so he didn't.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
If the rules read as they do, why bother taping anything but inside corners on any course? She was definitely on a ripper of a run, but she got squirly and ended up off course with no penalty. I don't know, seems kinda strange to me. Awesome racing for sure. That track looked so gnarly compared to the last 2 years. I can't believe how close Gwin came to throwing it away on Peatys plunge.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If the rules read as they do, why bother taping anything but inside corners on any course? She was definitely on a ripper of a run, but she got squirly and ended up off course with no penalty. I don't know, seems kinda strange to me. Awesome racing for sure. That track looked so gnarly compared to the last 2 years. I can't believe how close Gwin came to throwing it away on Peatys plunge.
Not sure about the WC guys but it is easier to ride for me if the course is taped.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I still miss Barel's detailed analysis of each of the rider's suspension settings and braking points.
Prefect example. Barel talks about suspension settings and braking points and Lopes talks about blue lens in Oakley goggles.

However, on the whole I think the redbull coverage is way better than Freecaster.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I like the fire iridium lens personally, it looks so cool!

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
However, on the whole I think the redbull coverage is way better than Freecaster.
Coverage or broadcast? Broadcast is better but the trackwalks by warner on freecaster were way more entertaining, he was more entertaining in general and riders actually got into the booth after their race run (CG and Jill for example)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'll say broadcast. I think there are more and better cameras (Ft. Bill excluded). The slow mo of the riders in the rock gardens in between runs was awesome.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Coverage or broadcast? Broadcast is better but the trackwalks by warner on freecaster were way more entertaining, he was more entertaining in general and riders actually got into the booth after their race run (CG and Jill for example)
I agree. Less information and real time feedback coming out of the coverage now. They should have more guests, and maybe a 3 man booth from time to time, that might elicit more interesting conversation.

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
I think is was great coverage overall. And careful, if we complain too much, they might put that Rocky Roads interviewer in the booth!!!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
A Rob Warner talkie cam down the track would be great to see again. Remember his run down Val Di Sole a couple years ago where he was bitching and moaning the whole way??? hahahaha

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I was in the top steep section during the race (it was cool and breezey up there). I only saw the top 40 or so come through. About 6-7 riders laid it down in that hard left had scoop turn. Once you dump it there you end having to run then hopping back on your bike. Gwin didn't dump it but he had to pull his foot out and stab the ground, he definitely lost momentum and a few pedal strokes.

Not sure why the UCI never put a camera in that section. One camera on the right hand corner and you could see the corner i'm talking about and then the entire steep chute, maybe it's a cable routing issue or something....

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I was in the top steep section during the race (it was cool and breezey up there). I only saw the top 40 or so come through. About 6-7 riders laid it down in that hard left had scoop turn. Once you dump it there you end having to run then hopping back on your bike. Gwin didn't dump it but he had to pull his foot out and stab the ground, he definitely lost momentum and a few pedal strokes.

Not sure why the UCI never put a camera in that section. One camera on the right hand corner and you could see the corner i'm talking about and then the entire steep chute, maybe it's a cable routing issue or something....
You talking about right above the first rock drop?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
You talking about right above the first rock drop?
Yes....the left-hander, then there's the right hander into the rock drop.

Also, Sam Hill was the only racer with an Alternate line off the rock drop. He landed far right and set-up better for those hard corners in the chute. He was looked very efficient. Saw him do it his last practice run also, but was very slow...in the race he was quick off it. Saw gwin in practice agressively roll that drop also, he pushed down it real hard. Was the only person i saw do that......in the race he hucked the same line as everyone else. Dann Hart hucked it a good 2 feet farther than anyone i saw...not sure that was an advantage though...

Last edited:

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Cant Climb, I know what section you're talking about. I was also up there for all of the woman and like the first five men. Then started to work my way down. I was also interested to see how all the riders would come out of that left hand berm then set up to go right down over the rock drop. All woman except for Rachael just rolled over the rock which still could be pretty fast. I wanted to see how the top 20 or so riders took that section but just decided to work my way down the hill.

Also, kinda surprised the road gap in the middle of the course didnt make the live feed because that was a killer section. The speed the riders were carrying after the landing was pretty awesome. And the dj and crowd hanging there made it even a bit more lively.

I made a little thumb edit on my phone here from my perspective over the weekend. Such a good time! We rode motorcycles 550 miles round trip to get up to the mountain which just capped off a killer weekend. Cup riders were shredding that track!

[video]http://www.facebook.com/v/4273656206705[/video]