Quantcast

2012 Trek Slash Enduro/SuperD race bike

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Yes it looks tastey.
I am stuck in the desert till the end of the year so nothing will happen for a few months. My list:
Knolly Chilli - love my Delirium and I can import a frame relatively easily
Mojo HD - good reviews and frame is available
Trek Slash - just found a frame only so its just on the list
Spesh Endo - love the looks of the frame but need to find one. Spesh shop is opening here so I am waiting to see what they will carry.
Commencal Meta AM- looks awesome but concerned about history of cracks with previous generations. Available from CRC so a big plus.

Working in strange countries and being from South Africa I cant just get what I want. But most of the above is pretty available. Wish CRC carried more choices as they are super easy to buy from. Most of the above will handle the usual abuse cause I will never ignore a trail side feature or two:-)

Keep a full on dh bike for dh terrain. Ditch the xc bike for the Slash, since it sounds like ur riding pretty gnarly terrain. The Slash is fairly efficient on the climbs and when mashing pedals in the middle propedal setting. But when you flip that lever to 'off', it honestly feels like my dh bike.

No dh only days on the Slash, but plenty of AM stuff with some serious ass-puckering steeps and tech. I am totally pleased about the performance and dead on geometry. Could this be someones "do it all" bike? Certainly. In fact, i am planning a trip to pnw and points north to whistler early this fall and i am 99% sure the Slash is what i am bringing.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Keep a full on dh bike for dh terrain. Ditch the xc bike for the Slash, since it sounds like ur riding pretty gnarly terrain. The Slash is fairly efficient on the climbs and when mashing pedals in the middle propedal setting. But when you flip that lever to 'off', it honestly feels like my dh bike.

No dh only days on the Slash, but plenty of AM stuff with some serious ass-puckering steeps and tech. I am totally pleased about the performance and dead on geometry. Could this be someones "do it all" bike? Certainly. In fact, i am planning a trip to pnw and points north to whistler early this fall and i am 99% sure the Slash is what i am bringing.
I like your thinking here :) gradually accepting that the DH bike will staying to handle trips to places like Ft.William.

The only thing that makes me think that the Slash is too much is that there are some brilliant XC trails near here that don't much big amounts of up/down. Instead you get rewarded for holding speed throughout (which is where something like my Anthem will always excel) and I struggle to see the Slash being much fun on these days (which admittedly are fairly few and far between), the Remedy however might just get away with it.... Plus, if I can handle the 70 degree ha I'm currently rocking both 66 or 67 will be a breeze ;)

There are some mellow trails around me as well. Think hardpack rolling trails frequented by xc weenie dirt roadies. While i have a 29er hardtail for that type of terrain, i have put fast rolling racing ralphs on the Slash and flipped on the propedal to 'firm' and have done pretty well time wise.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sounds good, is there an official format for enduro? Is this the way it is going, times sections and ride to the next. How long are these sections and how many stages?
No OFFICIAL format that I've seen, and I hope it stays that way. It seems like it'd super fun, like hauling @ss down a hill with your buddies and stopwatch kind of fun. I'm pretty stoked to check some out... In Colorado, I've been seeing a few different types of Enduros. Some are multiple stages over a day or three and can include Super-D, DH, and XC-ish stages. Some are more like a one-day, one-race event with several sections that are timed, but with pedally sections in between that are not timed. And then there's a few "big mountain" enduros, which are just massive descents over a lot of miles on epic trails, the mother of them being the Whole Enchilada in Moab: 7,000' of descending over 25 miles or something wicked like that.

The cool thing is, it's totally open to interpretation. So you don't need a huge mountain to make it happen, that sort of thing. I like the idear of the self-timed deally that Jeremy R was talking about...

Also... that bike the OP has is DOPE. :thumb:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
You may also want to check out the Feb issue of Dirtrag. Lots of enduro content.
Ha, I'm in that issue twice. Same picture, once near the editor's comments, and once in the Enduro story. Funny thing is, they keep talking about how it's a great format b/c you can ride your "normal" bike, and right next to that text is me on my Jedi, wearing all my dh gear. That was a bad decision, btw. Next time, I'm on a 5 or 6" bike for sure...