Quantcast

2012 Trek Slash Enduro/SuperD race bike

seems like everyone and their mother are jumping into SuperD/Enduro racing. being the sheeple that i am, are doing the same.

Riding in the slacker headtube angle setting (66 degrees), really no issues on the trails negotiating switchbacks and such. Build weight is just a shade under 30lbs as pictured. With meatier tires and kronolog, should be pushing 33lbs

it honestly feels like i'm riding my dh bike. it destroys roots, rocks, stutter bumps, but climbs well.

ltr450rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Goleta, CA
Nice. I love mine. Did one of our local "epic" rides yesterday, Little Pine in the Santa Barbara back country. 2 hours of climbing and there is nothing to complain about, I cant believe at how well it pedals.

Congrats on the ride. Is there an adjustable seatpost in your future or are you going for the "as light as possible" set-up?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Where are these enduro races that people are talking about? Are there any on the east coast?
I ask the same question, I really dont think there is much at this point. Hopefully somebody will pick up the torch. We have a couple ideas going locally in the Pittsburgh area but nothing has come of it yet.

What's your take on the DRCV shock?
dunno if it was the DRCV activating, but there's a couple sections of trail with g-outs, and high speed rocky sections. i know the suspension gets close to bottoming out, but theres none of that harsh ramp up. it feels like i'm still mid-travel, that bottom-less sensation.

however, i do dislike the proprietary shock mount...if i lived in an area with more dh emphasis on local trails, a coil shock on this frame would be killer.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
however, i do dislike the proprietary shock mount...if i lived in an area with more dh emphasis on local trails, a coil shock on this frame would be killer.
Ok...well then what's holding you from doing it ? You do know its no problem to bold on a different shock on there right ?

As for the DRCV, I'll chime in a little as I feel that shock offers much more than great bottom out control which can easily be achieved with a regular HV RP23.

When I got the bike I originally intended to swap the shock right away as I feared the DRCV shock would behave the same as on a Remedy. Still, I decided to took it out for a spin and I was happily surprised.The shock works brilliantly on that bike. Stays right up in its travel and has ample support in the mid stroke.On the Remedy that shock to me is wallow-y, bottoms out on nothing and when trying to load it , the thing instantly sags DEEP.

On the Slash though, its a very different story.Simply put the shock has great small bumps compliances.It's very , very supple providing a TON of grip but its also FIRM when you need it to be.It keeps the bike stable even in chundery high speed sections and it does offer great bottom out control on top of it.I have no more intention to swap that unit and fully intend to keep it on there for as long as I have the bike...I very happy with it.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I ask the same question, I really dont think there is much at this point. Hopefully somebody will pick up the torch. We have a couple ideas going locally in the Pittsburgh area but nothing has come of it yet.
There is one in the "hopeful" planning stages in a large PA forest.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I am seriously jealous of your bikes, I wish I had a pimped out dialed bike like that! Want to sponsor me? haha Sick bike enjoy it!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
now that would be fantastic, so a true 'enduro'? Not a super d? They tried that during the Month of Mud last year and it just turned out to be an XC race...it sucked.
Yes.....Enduro. Timed sections. Pedal to each section in a reasonable amount of time.

BCwoodworks

Chimp
May 2, 2012
Sweet set up chillindrdude! Throw a joplin on there and it will be a amazing super d bike.!

Where are these enduro races that people are talking about? Are there any on the east coast?
We have super-d once to twice a summer at Bear creek mountain resort, in macungie,PA. The first one this summer is Augest 11th and 12th. If we get enough people to pre register we are going to have another super-d weekend so tell your friends!

Here the link to all the info

http://www.bcmountainresort.com/challenge-mountain-bike-race-811-812

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sweet set up chillindrdude! Throw a joplin on there and it will be a amazing super d bike.!

We have super-d once to twice a summer at Bear creek mountain resort, in macungie,PA. The first one this summer is Augest 11th and 12th. If we get enough people to pre register we are going to have another super-d weekend so tell your friends!

i might have to go to that... i'm moving back to the king of prussia area

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008

my sister and bro-in-law live in macungie, good riding out there. thanks for the link, i may do this if i can find the time.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Highland "Over the Mountain" Enduro is on October 20th. It was amazing last year, lots of heavy hitters in from CX to DH stacked the PRO class and AM was really competitive as well. That slash would be perfect, winner was on a 29er though:think:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Im building up my new Enduro bike, so far its sitting at 29lbs, still waiting on some really really sweet wheels :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Highland "Over the Mountain" Enduro is on October 20th. It was amazing last year, lots of heavy hitters in from CX to DH stacked the PRO class and AM was really competitive as well. That slash would be perfect, winner was on a 29er though:think:
it really was, i was at the event last year and just a great overall vibe.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yes.....Enduro. Timed sections. Pedal to each section in a reasonable amount of time.
Awesome.
There is something like going on here in Pisgah, but it is totally low key. Just using the Strava app for timing,
and doing 3 different enduro downhills for a combined time. The catch is that to do all three on one ride, you will have to climb a $hit ton around Pisgah.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Awesome.
There is something like going on here in Pisgah, but it is totally low key. Just using the Strava app for timing,
and doing 3 different enduro downhills for a combined time. The catch is that to do all three on one ride, you will have to climb a $hit ton around Pisgah.
That sounds awesome. So how accurate is the Strava app for DH? Seems like it could easily be out by a second, and races are won by less... I only discovered the app a few weeks ago, haven't had a chance to compare it to the clock yet.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That sounds awesome. So how accurate is the Strava app for DH? Seems like it could easily be out by a second, and races are won by less... I only discovered the app a few weeks ago, haven't had a chance to compare it to the clock yet.
It works the same for us with Garmin, Android, or I phone. It seems accurate, but these enduro courses are longer with bigger time gaps, so even if it was off by a second, it should be ok. Plus, the only thing you are racing to win here is a high five. I don't think world cup DH will be picking it up as a timing system though. ;)

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Any Monkeys been able to compare a Slash directly with a Remedy? My bike stable needs adjusted from the current DH and XC bike combo (need to keep it limited to two at the moment) as the XC bike is seeing a whole load of severe/steep/rough AM type action (and feeling like it's taking an absolure hammering) and the DH bike being barely used now.

So was thinking of either keeping the DH bike and getting a Remedy or keeping the XC bike and getting a Slash. Whatever I get the Slash/Remedy would be getting used for Enduro racing and a load of leg-assisted DH stuff (but a Remedy would also be on XC duties/Slash on DH duties). Just can't decide what the best combo for me is :confused:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I am also looking into adjusting my stable with the same intention of Enduro style riding in mind. So based on this thread and the Mojo HD/Spesh enduro being used a fair bit I assume 160mm travel is the way to go. I am also stuck with an odd mix of bikes and something has to give. Currently running my Delirium with Lyrik Solo air, soon an air shock and mid weight rims with Exo tyres. Really liking this setup but would love to drop a bit of travel and weight. Not sure if I need to go down as low as 140mm rear travel. I see alot of enduro riders on Trance X or similar short travel bikes. I am not sure if selling the DH bike and keeping the Delirium in light mode for more gnarly tracks with a lighter shorter travel bike for slightly smoother trails is the way to be going. DH on mid travel bikes is super fun and always feels faster to me than on my DH rig. Who cares if I am actualy slower when I am wearing this stupid big grin.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Stumpy evo rhubarb. You'll thank me later. it took the pre DRCV remedy of a few years ago, and made it slightly better in every way - lower, slacker, and more progressive. You can't ask for much more in a mountain bike.