Quantcast

2012 SLX brakes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
rad, I love the radiator design. Think it's a fantastic application for mtb, since vented rotors are heavy/unrealistic and large calipers are heavy....throw a light, alloy radiator right on the pad and all the heat can move into that.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
This could be the perfect brake for a lot of gravity riders. The whole set that are too light or don't ride long/steep enough hills to take advantage of the full potential power of saint-esque brakes and are too practical to spend a lot of money on top tier XC brakes.

I think, like the SLX cranks, these have potential to deliver the performance of higher end components at competitive weights and at just about half the price! Excited! Hopefully they release their stuff like SRAM does (2012 products delivered in early 2011).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
well then, I guess I'll just have to wait another year to upgrade my (still functionning very well) XT brakes from 2005. nice.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
+ They seem to finally move to adjustable hosing end at caliper in all models.
- The brake lever body goes further. I'd rather brake the brake lever than damage the brake body.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
it seems as if they finally offer a solution to remove the brake lever without having to remove the grips, shifters etc....

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
f*** slx and xt, i want new saints with that design!
Hell yes. The current generation of Saint has been around for a couple of years now, I wouldn't be surprised if they unveil an all new lineup fairly soon. Hopefully they keep the brakes stupidly powerful AND increase heat dissipation.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
rad, I love the radiator design. Think it's a fantastic application for mtb, since vented rotors are heavy/unrealistic and large calipers are heavy....throw a light, alloy radiator right on the pad and all the heat can move into that.
I think unex makes pads with some radiating surface for all brakes if you dig that kind of thing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I took a look...not a bad idea but not nearly the same. These are almost like computer heatsinks...those are a "special pad" between the friction material and backing surface.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I know but those are shimano specific. I kinda like the idea but being forced to run shimano pads is a pita.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I know but those are shimano specific. I kinda like the idea but being forced to run shimano pads is a pita.
Why's that? Maybe Poland is different, but most places I've been, Shimano everything is readily available, and I've liked their brake pads so far.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Its ok in here but on sometimes you need to buy them quick and if only one company sells them its allways harder. Especialy if its on a trip in some crazy remote location.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Eh, shimano is almost as ubiquitous as avid parts or old hayes stuff from what I've seen.

The radiator pads will be harder to copy, but I'm sure somebody will eventually, especially if the market speaks.

Shy of smearing it with thermal paste, there's no way to replicate the thermal transfer quite as efficiently as one piece....although, liquid cooled brakes would be kind of cool if nothing else...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ha, forgot about those. They remind me of a combo of HOEP DH-4s and HR geiger.

I suppose these new crop of brakes are like an evolution of that design, kind of? I would think water cooling is way too heavy to be realistic in a bike application.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
didnt they actually make those? i swear i remember a old system with 3 pads back in the day
Yeah that's what you're looking at in that photo, there was a double sided pad between the two rotors. I reckon that was an awesome idea, but it's obviously gotta be heavy.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Yeah that's what you're looking at in that photo, there was a double sided pad between the two rotors. I reckon that was an awesome idea, but it's obviously gotta be heavy.
Heavy was not the issue. They where way too powerful even with oil on the pads and disc.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Right. They made a few prototypes and gave'em to a few sponsored racers who found them to be too strong and grabby. They put oil on the pads to reduce bite.

I love turning a thread about new product into a nostalgia fest:)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"too powerful" is so god damn funny to me.

Like there's a little roid rage pixie on your finger making you slam it against your handlebar.

I'm a buck sixty and the newer incarnation saints are are the best thing I've ever ridden......bought from a guy who weighs over 30lbs more than me who said they were too strong. It's all about the lazy. More energy for yelling at bltches and tucking your shirt tail in on your runs!

Like there's a little roid rage pixie on your finger making you slam it against your handlebar.
lol :D

i love my saints, easy bleed, non-stripping mineral oil, power to boot. if only shimano can make them lighter. ;)

i'm not as fast as some of you, so i use my brakes alot more. and the biggest difference i noticed with the increased power is much less hand fatigue at the end of a long run.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
are they cheaper in poland or why you dont order them online if they are not avaiable?
You misunderstood me. Before trips I can get them fine. The prices will be pretty normal too but a couple of times Ive been in a sitiation when I needed a last minute pad buy and I was in some remote locations in the mountains with 1 small bike shop.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
stock up then :p

i had like 8 pairs of swissstop saint pads with me on my whistler trip, never needed them all in the end, but i could sell them with a little profit as the prices there a ridiculous.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
"too powerful" is so god damn funny to me.
When I switched from XTs to The Ones (8" rotors on a DH bike with 2.7" tires) they were too powerful. I kept accidentally locking the tire (front and rear). Very little pressure at the lever caused amazing braking power and there was no squishiness. I let a little oil out of each lever (basically turning a perfect bleed into a flawed bleed) and now they have a bit less initial power and a softer lever. I can more easily control speed without over-braking or losing traction.

Riding around a parking lot they felt perfect at first and if you have really weak fingers the initial bleed would have been good, but when you're bouncing over terrain with limited traction and trying to go as fast as possible (already at the limits of traction) too powerful a brake that requires a very light touch hurts your speed.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
okay, thought so. the pic said proto but i remember them in our store

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm a buck sixty and the newer incarnation saints are are the best thing I've ever ridden
:stupid:

Am I hauling on them as hard as I can most of the time? No. Is it nice to have that extra mega power on reserve when I do something dumb and need it? Hell yes.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I did a heat transfer project on disc brakes once (seeing how much heat went to the hub bearings was the goal). The rotors transfered heat so much better than the pad material that I could effectively ignore the heat lost to the caliper through the pads. Venti rotor is much better at shedding degrees.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what rotors, pads, and calipers did you use? I'd love to know, for science.

I know that my hopeless DH04s had great performance in a parking lot, but the second I got into a steep section, they were useless...I attributed that largely to the incredibly small pad size, and that's how the power dropped off.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
bought from a guy who weighs over 30lbs more than me who said they were too strong. It's all about the lazy. More energy for yelling at bltches and tucking your shirt tail in on your runs!
ha you bastard, i just saw this.

i said they were too powerful for a 5" travel trail bike with fast rolling pinned xc tires.

and i weight much more than 30lbs more than you. i am betting 45-50 ;)

in retrospect the problem was the crapshack tires, not the brakes, but lesson learned :D

Last edited: