Quantcast

2011 Whiteface 5 K DH

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Totally agree with Heikki on the Super D. I think Whiteface is in a unique position to capitalize on the terrain there and host an event not many places could do. If you can design a course that can be raced on 5/6" bikes as well as DH bikes you could potentially get a huge turnout.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
My suggestion is to find a trail with more steep open sections in the woods. The trail this year was really hurt by the mud up top. If there was more gradient to the trail this would not have been such an issue. Also if there could be more gradient towards the bottom of the run that would be cool too. Maybe it would make the race run shorter but it would be more fun and i will be more likely to come back. This year i did not have that much fun because the whole top section was so tight and muddy it just kind of sucked.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
My suggestion is to find a trail with more steep open sections in the woods. The trail this year was really hurt by the mud up top. If there was more gradient to the trail this would not have been such an issue. Also if there could be more gradient towards the bottom of the run that would be cool too. Maybe it would make the race run shorter but it would be more fun and i will be more likely to come back. This year i did not have that much fun because the whole top section was so tight and muddy it just kind of sucked.
I thought this years combo of trails was resulted in one of the better 5k races to date. 06 and 07 were basically the same. 08 went off the back that was gnarly. 09 was similar to 06 and 07 and this year was a nice mix un raced terrain. I was stoked to get the stream gap in both my race runs despite ****ing it up all day Saturday and Sunday. That upper ski slope is so much fun braaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Hi,

Several of us from Northern Ontario made the trip to ride Whiteface a few years ago. We absolutely loved it. The following year we went to Diablo, and that too was awesome - but in a different way. I am more about vert and endurance, and we have all decided to make the 5K race our trip this year.

Now from 4 or 5 guys from Ontario - we hope you keep the full long course. Its tough, we know we will not win - but its the challenge and uniqueness of length for the eastern coast that we hope you keep!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The 5 K DH will be another full 5 k long this year. Expect the same great course but much more affordable to race!

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We thought you'd like that!
We are keeping a price freeze on lift passes this year. The 2 day lift pass needed to race the 5 K DH will still be $65.00. I run this as a private business, so there is no way around that if you want to ride the lift (Super fast 2.5 million dollar Gondola).

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Trek World Racing riders were attracted by the Long Race course. You're developing a bit of a "Brand" in that this race has become famous for it's length. I saw Tracey Mosely's post race interview commenting on how the race couse progressively got flatter as you approached finish adding that extra physical challenge of being unforgiving until the very end! I enjoy seeing how fit riders react to this place. They usually say "bring it on" until about 1o minutes into their first practice run.
Tweak it but don't make it any shorter is my vote!:thumb:
Either way...we will and always will be there!!!!:)
We love this race, the place and the people!!!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I would love to put on another unique race but who knows who else will choose that date for a downhill race?

The perfect weekend would be when we open during the Wilmington/Whiteface Bike Fest on 6-17 thru 6-19. Sunday is the 19th so that would be the date.

Does Sunday June 19th conflict with any other races?
I am pushing for a special 3 day lift pass for our opening weekend. This 3 day pass would be the same as the regular 2 day pass @ $65.00. Could you imagine if for $65.00 you got 3 days lift service, registration for a very cool and unique race and all that the Bike Fest has to offer (jump jam, free beer, bike films, parties, etc). in order to do that the pass/registration would have to be online only.

What do you think?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Now that the 2011 Nevada State DH Champs is in the books time to focus on our 5 K DH.
I return to Lake Placid tomorrow and will keep this thread going with all the cool stuff we plan on doing for the 6th annual 5 K DH.

See ya at The Face