Quantcast

2011 Whiteface 5 K DH

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The 6th Annual Whiteface 5 K Downhill will be on 9-10/11,2011!

See ya at The Face

Last edited:

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
wow! Massanutten and Whiteface getting 2011 GES all scheduled early, should be another great GES season. Cant wait to see the rest of the GES line up for 2011.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
wow! Massanutten and Whiteface getting 2011 GES all scheduled early, should be another great GES season. Cant wait to see the rest of the GES line up for 2011.
GES dates aren't announced yet are they? Where does it say Massanutten and Whiteface are GES races in 2011?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks dude! We have 10 more months of planning to make this the best 5 K DH ever! Watch out!
I don't want to be a total downer, and obviously a lot of people enjoy the race, but I'd hope that there will be some big changes to the course in the next ten months. I'd like it to be a little more "race" and a little less "survival".

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
So you think we should start lower on the mountain and have a shorter course?

Thinking about our open chainless downhill (after the main event) being a mass start.
What ya think about that?

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I don't want to be a total downer, and obviously a lot of people enjoy the race, but I'd hope that there will be some big changes to the course in the next ten months. I'd like it to be a little more "race" and a little less "survival".
That top section was somethin' else in the slop! Woot! That was the ONLY muddy/wet day I rode in 2 years - my wetskills are russtty! That said, It definitely weeds out the tech riders from the balls out guys - gotta have some variation -- the middle third was nice and 'normal' then the bottom was yet pedal and bomb. Im not a racer so my opinion is moot I suppose, but I loved riding the course before they closed for the race (and practice.)

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
You should have ridden the course in July or August when it was bone dry and dusty. Even I was bombing it! That's also when Peter Mills and company was buffing out the course as much as possible, and did a great job. The course did change radically will all the practice runs and rain the week before.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
So you think we should start lower on the mountain and have a shorter course?
I liked the length. But wen I came around the corner every time and there was a pile of bikes and 30 guys trying to figure out what to do....

Plus the carnage level was pretty high. I want to be able to walk when I get home, don't wanna have to replace half my bike either.

Seriously, not trying to hate. I's just that the course will still make a selection without having to be over the top hard. As much as I like watching the pros race Champery, I do not want to race that.

I like you and your mountain and what you are doing, but if the course is the same next year, I'll be doing something different that weekend. I may be in the minority here, I don't know.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Suck it up princess! :thumb:

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
GES dates aren't announced yet are they? Where does it say Massanutten and Whiteface are GES races in 2011?
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=221

We have had zero discussion with the GES crew for 2011, but I can share
we are racing at Massanutten Saturday April 30, 2011. Practice Friday!

I have big news that we may be a non usac event for 2011.
Think that will bring in more racers?
The open class will go away if we drop USAC for 2011.

Cant wait to see all of you guys & gals next year.

We are always looking to better our event and hope we can continue to
attract 23 states and Canada registered racers. 260+ riders

We have plans of adding a tabletop prior to the finish line after the last
rock garden.
We will continue to look at our start area for future improvements.

Take Care everyone and please understand when it rains the week prior
and on race weekend Downhill mike cannot control the course conditions.
We all have had wet races and it is rough on courses and equipment for
sure. Have a great weekend.

Last edited:

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
I see a lot of people complaining about the 5K course but I think most people really like it! Don't change it Mike! Starting right at the top of the gondola is the perfect place. This year's course down The Cliffs was the best one you have put together yet. It was a totally different trail after your guys did all the work on it. Thanks! Keep Whiteface in the GES!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I haven't had a chance to ride the refreshed faceshot/cliffs of gravity, but from previously riding there, not on race day, I loved the earlier course with the WFO section and left turn across the hill and into the lower woods. If they changed the upper course it might be different, but I never loved cliffshot.

I hope to make it up for the 5k for once...it's just a long drive for me, and lack of on-site camping makes it a challenge. Regardless, I say keep it the same, let the whiners whine!

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
That entire race is pure brutality. I can't imagine what a mega avalanche must be like.The top section of ski slope is so much fun to ride. the burly terrain and length of the course make it an automatic event for many people. The work put into this year's race was awesome. Clearing out some of the cliffs was a great idea.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
There's a state campground right next door:thumb:
And a KOA across the street, with a trail to the Flume:thumb:

For the 5k haters, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen or race Diablo.

It is great to see the date set for the 5K this far in advance! I am sure there will be a huge turnout.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Maybe I will start a poll to see which course you Monkeys want to race on. We were thinking about starting from the top of the Facelift Chair for next year. This would still be 1,488 feet of vertical. The course would start right at where the boardwalk twisted you back in the woods on the 2010 course. So it would eliminate the very top section (1st 1,000 feet of vertical). My guess for the winning times would be between 5 and 6 minutes?

We will do what's most popular as our 5 K DH has grown so much over the past 5 years. Note. If we start lower on the mountain and change the pro cash purse, the race could cost you (and us) much less to race. Possibly $30.00 less?

Example: $65.00 for a 2 day lift pass and $5.00 to race.

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=221

We have had zero discussion with the GES crew for 2011, but I can share
we are racing at Massanutten Saturday April 30, 2011. Practice Friday!

I have big news that we may be a non usac event for 2011.
Think that will bring in more racers?
The open class will go away if we drop USAC for 2011.

Cant wait to see all of you guys & gals next year.

We are always looking to better our event and hope we can continue to
attract 23 states and Canada registered racers. 260+ riders

We have plans of adding a tabletop prior to the finish line after the last
rock garden.
We will continue to look at our start area for future improvements.

Take Care everyone and please understand when it rains the week prior
and on race weekend Downhill mike cannot control the course conditions.
We all have had wet races and it is rough on courses and equipment for
sure. Have a great weekend.
If your race isn't USAC there is no way I will be showing up to ride that burnt out 10+year old course, I'm sure there are a fair amount of people who feel the same way.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Fortenndu,
I am sure your referring to the Massanutten race. However, since this is the 2011 Whiteface 5 K DH thread, I wanted to assure all USAC racers that the 5 K DH will be a USAC sanctioned race.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Maybe I will start a poll to see which course you Monkeys want to race on. We were thinking about starting from the top of the Facelift Chair for next year. This would still be 1,488 feet of vertical. The course would start right at where the boardwalk twisted you back in the woods on the 2010 course. So it would eliminate the very top section (1st 1,000 feet of vertical). My guess for the winning times would be between 5 and 6 minutes?

We will do what's most popular as our 5 K DH has grown so much over the past 5 years. Note. If we start lower on the mountain and change the pro cash purse, the race could cost you (and us) much less to race. Possibly $30.00 less?

Example: $65.00 for a 2 day lift pass and $5.00 to race.
I say keep the top part in...it's super fun and besides, for what we all get out of these things the price we pay for all the work that goes into these races really is minimal. I wouldn't worry about lowering the price...thanks Mike!

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Hmm. Sounds like we may need to have 2 races. One from up top (8 to 9 minute track) and another starting lower (maybe something like a 5 minute dh track).

If we do that we would need 2 different race dates. Once, we had the sport and beginner on the lower portion of the big course (2nd annual 5 K DH), and expert/pro from the top. Some sport racers were not happy they couldn't race the big course.

We appreciate all of your comments! This early discussion will really help allow us to deliver what the racers wants.

Since the 5 K DH will be on 9-10/11, 2011 how about we host a shorter dh race on our opening weekend? We are planning a huge bike festival (Wilmington Bike Festival) on 6-17 thru 6-19, 2011 anyways. Tons of stuff happening up here so far except a dh race.
So maybe a Whiteface 3 K DH on Sunday June 19, 2011?

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
the short course dh race to coincide with the bike festival would be a great idea. it'll help draw numbers to the festival overall. have you thought about a 12 or 24hr dh race relay? the short course may be perfect for that.
Whiteface closes the lift at 3:30 pm. Not an option as we are a private business. I was thinking about an uphill/downhill relay. 1 on the team climbs the service road on their x-c bike all the way to the dh start. Then tag your dh partner and they race to the base area on the 3 K DH track. The climb and decent would be 1,488 vertical feet each.

The Whiteface 3 K Uphill/Downhill on 6-19-2011 (maybe?)
The Whiteface 5 K DH on 9-10/11, 2011 (for sure)

This event poster is a draft for our opening weekend. I would love to add a unique Whiteface race to this weekend.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Whiteface closes the lift at 3:30 pm. Not an option as we are a private business. I was thinking about an uphill/downhill relay. 1 on the team climbs the service road on their x-c bike all the way to the dh start. Then tag your dh partner and they race to the base area on the 3 K DH track. The climb and decent would be 1,488 vertical feet each.

The Whiteface 3 K Uphill/Downhill on 6-19-2011 (maybe?)
The Whiteface 5 K DH on 9-10/11, 2011 (for sure)

This event poster is a draft for our opening weekend. I would love to add a unique Whiteface race to this weekend.
I think the idea of a team race sounds cool... Just throw in the all mountain buzzword and watch people flock ;)

Regarding the specifics, are you suggesting each team compete one uphill and then one downhill run? I wonder how many people would be interested in doing the uphill leg only. Is this a technical climb?

Personally, I think it would be cool to see who can go up and down the fastest. Hell, even bring a partner and make it one lap each. This way you draw people out and imo make it a bit more interesting. Also, roughly how long is the climb? Sounds like it could be 45 mins of climbing followed by 10 mins of descending.... Sounds pretty cool to me. 1hr, I can handle that :)

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
How about a true "super d" type event. Something that you could just as easily race your DH bike as a 6" bike. Start from the top and utilize the 5K start, then when you get just above mid station you could throw in the traverse over to "slickrock" trail. Then then traverse all the way back over to the other side. Maybe go down the northeast shore. Then connect it to the flume trails and end it on the side of the road by the flume. Easily raceable on most trail bikes or any DH bike and race times would probably be 25 - 30 minutes.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
It is very difficult to choose a weekend avoiding all conflicts. I am sure once others announce their dates, that weekend will have a few choices.

The climb would have to be on the service road. Maybe 30 to 45 minutes up and 5 down? That time estimate would be for the pro/expert.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
How about a true "super d" type event. Something that you could just as easily race your DH bike as a 6" bike. Start from the top and utilize the 5K start, then when you get just above mid station you could throw in the traverse over to "slickrock" trail. Then then traverse all the way back over to the other side. Maybe go down the northeast shore. Then connect it to the flume trails and end it on the side of the road by the flume. Easily raceable on most trail bikes or any DH bike and race times would probably be 25 - 30 minutes.
Heikki,
Cool idea, however setting the course and finding enough course marshals would be difficult, and too expensive. That would also require a TRP Application from the DEC. Since we already have Demo Day and other rides on the Flume Trails that weekend, it just wouldn't work.

The 1st idea may be free to all with a day pass, or possibly $10.00 registration.
I am proposing to ORDA that for this Festival Weekend we sell (online only) a 3 day pass for last years 2 day pass price of $65.00.

If we do go with the uphill/downhill 3 K idea, it could easily be solo or a 2 person team. This would be a mass start from the base area. Doing it this way we could do everything "in house" keeping it super fun and super affordable!

I am liking the idea of:
* All that purchase the 3 day pass online get free registration.
* All that purchase a 1 day pass must pay an additional $10.00 to register.

It may seem as I am going off topic here however, this will help us finalize plans for the 5 K DH on 9-10/11, 2011.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It is very difficult to choose a weekend avoiding all conflicts. I am sure once others announce their dates, that weekend will have a few choices.

The climb would have to be on the service road. Maybe 30 to 45 minutes up and 5 down? That time estimate would be for the pro/expert.
30 mins for 1400 ft... that's pretty quick! Could definitely be fun but does it ever sound painful!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
What if you kept it off the flume trails and just added a few more small climbs on the traverse back to the base area. It would still be alot to set up but then you don't have to worry about as many permits. It could potentially be one of the best super d courses in the country. You would certainly not have to tape the courses as well as you do for the 5K and you could run a mass start with a short run to the bikes. That way you would not need a timing company. I don't think that usa cyclings rules require nearly as many course marshals for super d.