Quantcast

2011 Minnaar's machine

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Thats something i have been wondering about lately, why do pros/non pros ride the air sprung wc fork but dismisses the vivid air without truely giving it a try, more so the non pros. I have riden my vivid air now for a bit on my new demo 8 and i'd say its as good as the coil version i had on my sunday before. In a parkinglot test it definetly has a noticeable more amount of stiction but on the trail i wouldnt be able to tell in a blindtest which is which.
For a heavier rider on a high leverage frame i can see that it wouldnt perforn idealy but in last years wc i could only see mick hannah, at least i think it was him, riding it. So it seems really strange since in the begining of the year when RS launched it they sad all pros sad they prefferd the air over coil and then nobody used it.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Thats something i have been wondering about lately, why do pros/non pros ride the air sprung wc fork but dismisses the vivid air without truely giving it a try, more so the non pros.

because they don't all run air springs in their forks, don't let the top caps fool you.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
Ill agree. i have been using the vivid air for a while now and think it performs better than any coil shock i've ever used. Not sure why more pros dont give it a shot. I cant compare it to the vivid coil because i have never used it but I can honestly say I would take it over a RC4 under any circumstances.

as far as the what dave said about a lot of pros "fake" using an air sprung fork, that may be true. but many many world cup pros, local pros, and average joe's use, and love air sprung forks.

maybe I wouldn't understand because I couldn't qualify for a world cup, but unless something magical happens when you cross that level that air suspension suddenly stops performing well i see no reason why people seem to think its not good enough.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Are those bar extenders of some sort I see? It looks like the "plugs" are adding some width to the bar.

Or, I'm just stupid. Set me straight!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Ill agree. i have been using the vivid air for a while now and think it performs better than any coil shock i've ever used. Not sure why more pros dont give it a shot. I cant compare it to the vivid coil because i have never used it but I can honestly say I would take it over a RC4 under any circumstances.

as far as the what dave said about a lot of pros "fake" using an air sprung fork, that may be true. but many many world cup pros, local pros, and average joe's use, and love air sprung forks.

maybe I wouldn't understand because I couldn't qualify for a world cup, but unless something magical happens when you cross that level that air suspension suddenly stops performing well i see no reason why people seem to think its not good enough.

also keep in mind the effects of heat on performance. not only are the air/oil in a fork are in seperate legs, but they generate far less heat. this is not the case in a shock. If you get a coil spring hot it does not change spring rate, whereas air will have an affected change.

it is not so much an issue of air being as good or worse than a spring than a coil, but more an issue of whether or not it can be as consistent in all applications (fork and/or shock).

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
also keep in mind the effects of heat on performance. not only are the air/oil in a fork are in seperate legs, but they generate far less heat. this is not the case in a shock. If you get a coil spring hot it does not change spring rate, whereas air will have an affected change.

it is not so much an issue of air being as good or worse than a spring than a coil, but more an issue of whether or not it can be as consistent in all applications (fork and/or shock).
SRAM offered a solution to the thermal problem by putting an expanding rebound needle in the Vivid Air.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Mines nicer. You'd think with factory support, top 3 WC rider would have a better bike than me..............................

I'll give him the rims tho, noice.
;):rofl::D:p:eek::thumb:

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
It makes me giggle when people comment on pros and what they run. Maybe the reasons that they don't run something are the same reasons they are pros and you aren't? Just sayin. ;)

Minnaar is a goddam King. Nicest guy ever, style for miles, and hes a tad quick too.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i read this title twice. I kept reading it as minnars 2011 TIME machine. MOAR flux capacitor please.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If you get a coil spring hot it does not change spring rate, whereas air will have an affected change.

That has been my experience with Fox Air XC shocks (RP3, RPL, RP23). At the bottom of a long DH I get less sag than when I started (the damper gets hot and heats the air can, pressure rises and spring rate raises). When testing the Vivid Air last summer we measured the sag on a Pro's Vivid Air at the top of Keystone. We then did a race pace run down and immediately measured sag at the bottom. Same sag. I expected the larger air volume to be less affected than a little RP23 but still get stiffer, but it didn't. I was sold enough to order one with my new V10 frame.

SRAM offered a solution to the thermal problem by putting an expanding rebound needle in the Vivid Air.
That just keeps rebound from getting too fast when the oil heats up and thins. Has no effect on compression damping or spring rate.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I don't think this will be his race setup, just because there's no Ti spring on the damper and no DLC coat on the fork. Or are the Blackbox riders riding on normal stanchions this year? Fairclough won in Spain on standart stanchions...

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I think alot of people, not just WC racers prefer the feel of a coil sprung suspension product over air. I know I do.
Those Carbon V10's are so unreal, I had one of the first Gen V-10s and its amazing how far those frames have come.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Those Carbon V10's are so unreal, I had one of the first Gen V-10s and its amazing how far those frames have come.
Yeah the frame is absolutely amazing. But I never ever liked the builds Minaar and Peat are using (lookwise).They always look like CC builds with these long seatposts and the saddle mounted in this angle. Maybe because they are just to tall?;):D

Also, this year the build doesn't look that much "composed".Too much colors I think.

Last edited:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
i havent ridden a V10C yet, but i liked my original V10 a lot more than the newer models
If your talking about the First generation, like the one in Kranked 5, 2003 I think. Super awsome at going fast in a straight line and hucking off crap. Everytyhing else it was a piece of **** compared to the other bikes that were out at that time IMO. My 5th element shock blew up all the time to, the thing was an over priced beast.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If your talking about the First generation, like the one in Kranked 5, 2003 I think. Super awsome at going fast in a straight line and hucking off crap. Everytyhing else it was a piece of **** compared to the other bikes that were out at that time IMO. My 5th element shock blew up all the time to, the thing was an over priced beast.
to each his own i guess. i thought it was the best bike at the time, especially after i put a Avy DHS on it. of the 3 dh bikes i had before that, i thought it was the best. the 5th Element did blow up within the first 2 months but after that i had zero issues with it.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Actually, I just had a string of bad luck with the shock, It blew up, I sent it away and progressive was having alot of issues with their machines at the time and I kept getting sent a shock with faulty replacement parts, I never paid for it but alot of my season was spent waiting. It was my first Real DH bike, at the time I was in love with it but as soon as I got my next frame which was a DHR I couldnt believe the difference.
I also had some issues with SC Customer service at that time, im sure alot has changed since then. Im sure if my dealer sold SC over Intense id be all about SC.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Each successive generation of the V10 was a big improvement over the previous one. I skipped the first one and stuck with my Super 8 cuz my friend's felt too much like a plow bike (heavy and too much sag). The second gen was pretty good but when I switched to the 3rd gen I instantly noticed the lower BB, lighter weight, and less sag letting me go faster. I'm curious to ride my 3rd gen back to back with my V10c when it arrives. Not a massive difference in numbers but slightly slacker HA, slightly shorter TT & CS, and 1lb lighter should be nice.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Ha.. Usualy i love the V10 carbon

But this one, im not so keen on. Graphics look quite awful.

White for does not suit either...

Build seems fine though, Quite large chainring, but i guess thats for SA:D