Quantcast

2010 Boxxers - questions on air conversion and damper updates

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Got a new WC with all the revisions so I thought I'd update the thread for anyone curious. Quoted my original post at the end so the thread still makes sense.

The rebound damper has a new shaft bushing that isn't as tight (less stiction), damper internals have been changed so that rebound adjusters don't get stuck and break like the first gen, and the lowers have been updated to stop arch breakages (brake hose mount relocation).

Visual differences are pictured below.

Groove in base of rebound damper seal head:

Snap ring instead of circlip:

Mission control DH sticker:

Brake hose mount stubs on front of arch now:

And no groove on rear of arch anymore:

Three questions:

- Wondering if the air conversion can be done just like the previous gen boxxers, and if parts are readily available? Has anyone done it yet? This is on a team.

- Is there any way to tell externally if a fork has the updated damper, or a serial number range (presumably different ranges for teams and WC's)? I heard the newer forks have the mico sticker, but I've heard that isn't a very reliable indicator.

- Have there been any updates to the castings? Rockshox usually don't talk about these (eg. 07 to 08 change) so I'm wondering if anyone has looked into it.

Don't want to get a pre-damper-update fork if they made any changes on the lowers as well.

Last edited:

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
how do you know if they are from the bad batch?! I bought one a couple of weeks ago but havent been able to ride it yet, just have it laying around here...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
how do you know if they are from the bad batch?! I bought one a couple of weeks ago but havent been able to ride it yet, just have it laying around here...
You have to call them and have them check the seriel #...
Mine was literally a first batch, i wasnt aware of it and they said they send a replacement for it.

It was literally the very first run 2010s last year and was quickly corrected so Its likely you have a newer one. If you have the updated stickers on it as the newer stuff with the updated internals then no worries your good.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You have to call them and have them check the seriel #...
Mine was literally a first batch, i wasnt aware of it and they said they send a replacement for it.

It was literally the very first run 2010s last year and was quickly corrected so Its likely you have a newer one. If you have the updated stickers on it as the newer stuff with the updated internals then no worries your good.
How do the updated stickers look?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How do the updated stickers look?
They have the motion control sticker or something like that on the right leg. They started putting the updated stickers on them, there was apparently a way to tell on the archs but my old and new are the same in that regard. Mines 2 months old as far as manufacturing right now so I know its a good casting...

Ill try and see if I can dig up any information and post for you, If its not forst 2 months iwouldnt worry about it and its more than likely not as it was only a few that made it through apparently...

I wouldnt even worry about it, Id call and just have them check the # or if you have a manufacture date on your box of recent your fine... Literally its not likely...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They have the motion control sticker or something like that on the right leg. They started putting the updated stickers on them, there was apparently a way to tell on the archs but my old and new are the same in that regard. Mines 2 months old as far as manufacturing right now so I know its a good casting...

Ill try and see if I can dig up any information and post for you, If its not forst 2 months iwouldnt worry about it and its more than likely not as it was only a few that made it through apparently...

I wouldnt even worry about it, Id call and just have them check the # or if you have a manufacture date on your box of recent your fine... Literally its not likely...
I got mine used. From what I remember according to seller they visited sram and had done all that was needed but I'm paranoid (not for the lack of trust as the transaction has been flawless - I think the name here is Christiaan - recomended ;) ) and I'm just curious if they did the lowers also - they know of the issues from how long? Prolly yes but it's the first time I convinced myself to buy a lighter fork so I freak out - especialy since I still have a few days until my frame arrives. ;)

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
the stanchion part numbers are no longer different, as they were with the previous chassis.

You might be able to do the conversion after riding it with the spring in there, just depends on how marred up the stanchion is.

Race converts over just fine too, mine was cake.

Since we are on the topic, rebound damping is the big shortfall of the MoCo damping in a race. As such I took a spare rebound assembly from a WC to see if it'd fit in the Race with the MoCo comp assembly. As I suspected there was no physical interference, but the rebound piston moves so much oil that you could not get the oil level right for the MoCo comp assembly. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who may have had the same idea.

The MiCo comp and rebound assemblies do fit right in a Race though. There is a bushing of sorts in the footbolt area of the lowers that just pops out which will allow the larger rebound assembly to bolt in. Comp drops right in.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I got mine used. From what I remember according to seller they visited sram and had done all that was needed but I'm paranoid (not for the lack of trust as the transaction has been flawless - I think the name here is Christiaan - recomended ;) ) and I'm just curious if they did the lowers also - they know of the issues from how long? Prolly yes but it's the first time I convinced myself to buy a lighter fork so I freak out - especialy since I still have a few days until my frame arrives. ;)
Im sure if it has the updated internals they checked the serial # its the first thing they asked when we called. We gave them the # they looked it up and didnt ask us what we needed they, told us what we needed. Got to love that kind of CS :thumb:

From what ive seen they dont hold back at all, they are up front and get it done before it becomes an issue.
Just have a shop call in and run the # they will tell you what the deal is. If I can find a serial # span I will post it...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The conversion is just like previous. Top cap assembly and air cart. Done 3, all team to wc conversions.
As duplex asked, were any of the teams used or were they brand new? Just wondering if the stanchions are prone to damage from the spring, or if it should be okay.

Also, do you know the part numbers and prices of the topcap assy and air cartridge off hand? Tempted to just buy a brand new team and do it, but it'd be even cheaper with a second handie.

duplex

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
So if I have a used team (2 months), do I just need the top cap and the air cartridge or do I have to get a new stanchion?

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
According to BTI's website the solo-air cartridge and air top cap are not in stock. Any suggestions for other places to look?

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
did you try QBP?
I'll have my shop check QBP... I just know that you can check stock on BTI without an account, so i usually do that. I find it's easiest when I give my shop the exact BTI item number when I know an items in stock, little room for error that way.

Thanks.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'll have my shop check QBP... I just know that you can check stock on BTI without an account, so i usually do that. I find it's easiest when I give my shop the exact BTI item number when I know an items in stock, little room for error that way.

Thanks.
yeah, BTI's site is nice in that anyone can look at stock and product info

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland

Thanks.
I checked a couple of days ago and QBP had a few WC air cartridges in stock. I'll double check when I stop by my shop tomorrow morning. I can order one for someone if they want, just shoot me a PM.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I checked a couple of days ago and QBP had a few WC air cartridges in stock. I'll double check when I stop by my shop tomorrow morning. I can order one for someone if they want, just shoot me a PM.
If I remember right, QBP doesn't stock the top cap though. I was looking into this the other day.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
The conversions I (as well as Slater) did were to new Team/Race forks. I am not sure how badly scared a used stanchion would be and if it would effect the air spring. The part numbers are the same for the stanchion for all 2010 and up Boxxers. No longer a honed stanchion option.
If you are worried about it, clean and inspect the stanchion for internal scratches. If scratched, order a stanchion with your top cap and air spring.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
Lowers stayed the same to what im aware of from early 2010 release to now they did have a bad batch of castings that cracked and they also updated the comp unit in it.
That was mainly internal parts swapped.....
Thats about all Im aware of hope it helps a bit...
They changed the lowers.
The newer ones don't have the notch for the zip tie on the back side of the arch.
And they changed the axle, which now has a collar, so the right lower tube can't slip off the axle.

If you find these two things, it also has the updated damper.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks RedOne, that's pretty helpful.

Would you or anyone else mind posting up a pic of what to look for on the axle? I can't quite picture it.

Miuan - they just added a mission control sticker at some point (original ones didn't have one) but I think it is better to look for actual changes on the fork like mentioned above, and the groove on the base of the rebound seal head.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
They changed the lowers.
The newer ones don't have the notch for the zip tie on the back side of the arch.
And they changed the axle, which now has a collar, so the right lower tube can't slip off the axle.

If you find these two things, it also has the updated damper.

The zip tie guides are in front on the new lowers and the original lowers they were in the back. So YOU want the lowers with it here (in front).
As far as axles youd have to have some sort of collar to bottom out on to keep it from pushing through the lower axle holes.
I'll call them this morning and checkto see if there were any changes to the axle as well as the lowers.

I snapped a pic of mine notice the zip tie nub guides are in front.

I just got off the phone with Rockshox and the axle didnt undergo any real changes at all just the new lowers and the latest rebound circut. along with the mission control sticker they started placing on the lower crown further into production so the origial lowers shouldnt have had that sticker.

Last edited:

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Any SRAM authorized service shop can order parts directly from SRAM, including these parts. This is how I do it, so if BTI is out there are other options.
How do I find out what these shops are? Because I've called a couple of local LBS's that are listed on SRAM's site as being "Authorized Dealers" and both said they can't order parts straight from SRAM.

I want to order the parts for the air conversion, and so far no luck.

How do I find out what these shops are? Because I've called a couple of local LBS's that are listed on SRAM's site as being "Authorized Dealers" and both said they can't order parts straight from SRAM.

I want to order the parts for the air conversion, and so far no luck.
Lately SRAM likes to not deal straight with shops re small parts like this unless its a warranty thing.
Just go into a shop and have them look up the parts in their QBP book as BTI still does not have them in stock.
If i have a chance i'll go look at the QBP website and report back with the part #'s but it might take a couple of days.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Lately SRAM likes to not deal straight with shops re small parts like this unless its a warranty thing.
Just go into a shop and have them look up the parts in their QBP book as BTI still does not have them in stock.
If i have a chance i'll go look at the QBP website and report back with the part #'s but it might take a couple of days.
I got the part numbers:
11.4015.385.000 BoXXer WC SoloAir spring kit
11.4015.383.000 BoXXer WC Air top cap

and I've already done that. BTI is out of stock, and QBP only has one air sping, and no top caps.

So I was looking for some place that could deal directly with SRAM.

P.S. Loo I might see you next month, I'll be down at Windrock May 15.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
All of this makes me wonder if SRAM is attempting to regulate the availability of these parts. Since there is no real reason to order these parts unless you were making this conversion (and saving yourself $400-500). If you truly needed these parts it would probably be a warranty anyways.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
All of this makes me wonder if SRAM is attempting to regulate the availability of these parts. Since there is no real reason to order these parts unless you were making this conversion (and saving yourself $400-500). If you truly needed these parts it would probably be a warranty anyways.
:clue: Someone read their Economics book.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
You'd have to wonder why the retail price difference is so large given that the parts are comparatively cheap really, they're clearly just gouging people because they can.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just updated the first post with pictures of all the little changes, might be beneficial to someone.