Quantcast

2009 USAC Worlds Team featuring Brian Lopes

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You gotta be kidding me. Where there's a will, there's a way! A local boater just got sent to Worlds by a frikkin fundraiser out of our community newspaper (not even the real paper....the freebie).

I got sponsored in full to fly to Brazil one time to the downtown race in Sau Paulol. I asked 2 attorneys and a mortgage broker. They cut the check for it right then. Wound up being too late to get a passport and visa, but it wasn't for lack of money.

Even got sponsored by a local drink company and a internationally famous entertainer/cycling fanatic who stopped by the bike shop on a whim one day. All i had to do was sign a form from his attorney stating it was a private matter. $1000.00 from each. Our team got sponsored by some healthcare place for an entire season. Paid every entry fee.

Every last one of those guys can let their local community know that they are on the worlds team and they will get the whole thing paid for.

If they pay for it out of their own pockets, more power to them. But if they don't pick up the phone and walk down the street to ask...they'll get what they ask for...zero. How bad do they want it?

Last edited:

Nozzes

Chimp
Mar 10, 2009
What's up with american mtb racing anyway?
Is it really the best you can cough up for a World Downhill Championship,a retired pro like Brian Lopes?
Is it just me,or if it wasn't for the "fallen from the sky" wonderboy Aaron Gwin,USAC would be calling up Tomac or Rockwell?
Some 9 or 10 years passed since an American won a Elite World Championship,what the hell have you been doing?All the good talents moved to freeriding or motocross?
I know that Strait,Strobel,Riffle and others are working hard,but they really aren't getting up there on the podium,are they?
I remember opening magazines in the early 90's and seeing USA ruling the sport they invented...what's happened?

Good luck for everyone going to Canberra!

p.s. I'm itching to see what bike Lopes will ride down those rocks...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
If racers truly are paying $4k out of their own pockets at this most Elite level racing in the World Champs then there's truly something dreadfully wrong with the sport.
You mean the fact that DH racing is seen as a joke to everyone outside the 20k people in the world who really "RIDE" DH? Get over it, no one is entitled to a free trip to go race at the best DH tracks in the world, no matter how good they are if no one cares about the race.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Some 9 or 10 years passed since an American won a Elite World Championship,what the hell have you been doing?All the good talents moved to freeriding or motocross?
Talented athletes wanna do a sport they'll be recognized and rewarded for...wouldn't you?

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
what is that money used for?
To get the XC guys, the coaches, mechanics, trainers, over there for free! And not everyone feels the same about asking for money bizutch, but next time I will hit up the drug company that makes adderol, I heard they are doing well with the all the late night study groups.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Then they deserve to stay home. No way I'd bust my butt physically for a year to sit on the sidelines when my name was called.
Very true. Anyone wanna donate to a fund for Ulmer???

I don't know his exact specifics and if he all set yet as I won't talk to him until tomorrow but Anyway to help pay that off would be great.

Let me know via PM or rufusphotography@mac.com

I will talk to a few of my people.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
It's not as easy or Geoff is not as good at asking as you guys make it seem. He's trying like hell to get the funds together but there is a huge time crush between team announcement and money due. ONE WEEK.

Unfortunately not looking too good with a day to go, but we haven't given up !!!

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Hey

I don't have a lot but I would love to help out - Cause I really want to see Geoff go and race the worlds - He has certainly earned it! Do you have a paypal account - I'll help!

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
What's up with american mtb racing anyway?
Is it really the best you can cough up for a World Downhill Championship,a retired pro like Brian Lopes?
Is it just me,or if it wasn't for the "fallen from the sky" wonderboy Aaron Gwin,USAC would be calling up Tomac or Rockwell?
I know that Strait,Strobel,Riffle and others are working hard,but they really aren't getting up there on the podium,are they?
I remember opening magazines in the early 90's and seeing USA ruling the sport they invented...what's happened?

Good luck for everyone going to Canberra!

p.s. I'm itching to see what bike Lopes will ride down those rocks...
Bagging the US race scene got old about a year ago, they have a new race series and 3 riders consistently in the top 20 at world cups this year so its definitely turned around. There may not be a US world champ for another couple of years but at least now they have riders that could actually do it!

Hell for the first time in years I was actually excited to follow the US national champs and it looked like an awesome race

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Has anyone won a World Cup that didn't win Junior Worlds in the last ten years other than Kovarik? Blenky did last year, but at junior Worlds he fell on his head and still almost beat Cam Cole. Seems like whoever wins junior Worlds is the next to bump in at the top spot.

R

rb92078

Has anyone won a World Cup that didn't win Junior Worlds in the last ten years other than Kovarik? Blenky did last year, but at junior Worlds he fell on his head and still almost beat Cam Cole. Seems like whoever wins junior Worlds is the next to bump in at the top spot.
Don't think any of these guys were junior world champs. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Greg Minnaar, Mick Hannah, Gee Atherton, Steve Peat, Myles Rockwell, Shaun Palmer, Cedric Gracia, Michal Pascal, and I'm sure there's more.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Don't think any of these guys were junior world champs. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Greg Minnaar, Mick Hannah, Gee Atherton, Steve Peat, Myles Rockwell, Shaun Palmer, Cedric Gracia, Michal Pascal, and I'm sure there's more.
Cedric won the junior world champs in 1995 at Kichzarten Germany(fastest time of the day too if i remember correctly)
Michael Pascal won the junior world champs in 1997 at Chateau d oex Switzerland

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Mick Hannah was junior world champ.

Ivan Oluego Moreno won a world cup.......he wasn't junior champ.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Mick Hannah was junior world champ.

Ivan Oluego Moreno won a world cup.......he wasn't junior champ.
I'm pretty sure Mick never won junior worlds(3rd at Sierra Nevada Spain IIRC)
There's plenty of guys that have won world cups with no junior worlds title..... Without going back toooo far, Marc Beaumont,Matti L, Minnaar,Peaty,Gee,Kovarik,Palmer,Hannah,Blinky,Ivan Oluego Moreno plus more im sure:thumb: esp back in the mid 90s guys like Frank Roman, Gashet,Beneke,Misser,Tomac,King???,Warner,Tailfer,Corrado Herrin an so on:eek:

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Seconded!
Jim and Rich,

Geoff was very much against personal donations. I kind of understand where he's coming from. He really wants to go and has been contacting sponsors, industry people and corporations. So far he is about 1/3 of the way there, thanks to some very generous supporters. In addition USAC gave him an extra 24 hours to get his money in so we're still hopeful.

FYI the USAC team fee for the Worlds is $1800.00 which covers pretty much everything from when he lands to departure 7 days later. The flight is about another $1500.00.

For those that personally know Geoff, you know that is a ton of money for us to come up with. He's worked hard, slept in parking lots, bummed rides and accomadations from lots of you guys to make things work. He really appreciates the offer though.

If any one knows of any companies that might help please pass the info along and he will follow up.

Thanks Guys !!!

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Jim and Rich,

Geoff was very much against personal donations. I kind of understand where he's coming from. He really wants to go and has been contacting sponsors, industry people and corporations. So far he is about 1/3 of the way there, thanks to some very generous supporters. In addition USAC gave him an extra 24 hours to get his money in so we're still hopeful.

FYI the USAC team fee for the Worlds is $1800.00 which covers pretty much everything from when he lands to departure 7 days later. The flight is about another $1500.00.

For those that personally know Geoff, you know that is a ton of money for us to come up with. He's worked hard, slept in parking lots, bummed rides and accomadations from lots of you guys to make things work. He really appreciates the offer though.

If any one knows of any companies that might help please pass the info along and he will follow up.

Thanks Guys !!!
Understood; but if you all are close, remember the 518 Crew is here to help!

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I'm pretty sure Mick never won junior worlds(3rd at Sierra Nevada Spain IIRC)
There's plenty of guys that have won world cups with no junior worlds title..... Without going back toooo far, Marc Beaumont,Matti L, Minnaar,Peaty,Gee,Kovarik,Palmer,Hannah,Blinky,Ivan Oluego Moreno plus more im sure:thumb: esp back in the mid 90s guys like Frank Roman, Gashet,Beneke,Misser,Tomac,King???,Warner,Tailfer,Corrado Herrin an so on:eek:
It seems to like thers more riders who win Junior worlds then disappear off the world DH scene- Ben Cory, Roman Saladini, Amiel Cavalier and it looks like the Y2K champ was Julien Poomans??

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
We're waiting to hear details. Size required, placement and who would pay for it.

(geoff was offered $500 towards the trip if he gets a sponsor's logo tattoo)

BTW I'm considering putting up a brand new Intense M-1 Frame, what do you think ??

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Sell that frame! no reason for it to collect dust.

-ska todd
agreed, that's one obsolete paper weight right there. I thought all you Northeast guys got funded by the "venture capitalists" wandering the streets of NYC when in need of business money.

VooDooHoo, honestly have him walk into his local Pepsi Cola distributor and just ask for the manager. They sponsor youth sports at the drop of a hat and cut a check for $500.00 without getting committee approval. Same goes for Coke, RC, any water distributor. You'd also be surprised what the local Smith Barney, UBS, etc franchise owner will do. But you can't call them...you literally have to walk off the street with your balls of steel and tell them I Need $500.00 to go to World Champs today. I spent a year of my life earning it. Let them know the local paper will get a full detailed write up with photos and information on the local sponsor who paid the way.

I hope he can get it done. If we lived in a large city, I'd be a fundraising beast. :weee:

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm telling you George. Swing by the local Subway, they know you well enough by now. They will donate money at the regional level, I already looked into it for you.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Like a few others have said, if you are close let us know. Me and the boys will be willing to make a small donation to help out.

sell some online raffle tickets on that frame!!