Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey Dave. To clarify, 10 clicks out from full closed or 10 clicks in from full open? Thanks for the info!
All clicks that I ever reference for dampers are from clicks or turns out from fully closed. Most people in other forms of racing also use fully closed as a baseline reference, just for a fun fact. :)

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
LSC 10 clicks to all the way out
HSC 8-10 clicks out
rebound to taste
Thanks dw. This should save me some time on the weekend.

Here is a few other stupid questions...

Does anyone have a chart for resevoir PSI vs weight for the RC4?

When I adjust the HSC do I need to keep the LSC knob stationary? Or are they independent?

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
All clicks that I ever reference for dampers are from clicks or turns out from fully closed. Most people in other forms of racing also use fully closed as a baseline reference, just for a fun fact. :)

This forum NEEDS an introduction to the concept of RET...

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
What geometry changes are on Matti Lehikoinen's bike that he got in Andorra compared to older version? He likes the new one a lot more.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Matti is now on a production frame. He was on a proto that could be set-up slacker & lower than the production bike. He preferred the production geom.

-ska todd

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thanks dw. This should save me some time on the weekend.

Here is a few other stupid questions...

Does anyone have a chart for resevoir PSI vs weight for the RC4?

When I adjust the HSC do I need to keep the LSC knob stationary? Or are they independent?
Ah I forgot that detail. 130 PSI, bottom out chamber fully open. If you are hitting Vanderham sized stuff (25+ feet vertical drop) maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn in on the bottom out.

The LSC adjuster is contained inside the HSC adjuster, so turning the HSC wont affect LSC.

When you open up the LSC, all you are doing is letting oil bleed by the HSC adjuster. The more open the LSC adjuster, the bigger the bleed hole, and the higher the velocity where the bleed chokes off and the HSC stack really has to work. The HSC adjuster basically preloads a spring that keeps the HSC ports closed until a high velocity hit happens. The FOX DVD that came with your bike should have a little tuning info. Give it a read and it will probably help.

RE: shock setup in general

One thing I tell a lot of riders to keep in mind is that a stiffer spring and overdamped HSC doesn't make you more of a man, it just makes you feel more pain when you slide off the course.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i saw some old guy on a team issue Revolt in Morzine this week..anyone know who it was? i didnt get a chance to talk to him, or rather i should say, i didnt feel like talking to him.

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
RE: shock setup in general

One thing I tell a lot of riders to keep in mind is that a stiffer spring and overdamped HSC doesn't make you more of a man, it just makes you feel more pain when you slide off the course.
I think you should have a chat with many of the suspension manufacturers about that...

Looks like tendency/coolness is to have lots of HSC and probably for a super fit pro that runs 20secs faster a track than me is allright that much HSC to be able to run the bike on correct sag without bottoming out a thousend times, but for an average rider and not very fitted as i am this only makes things worst... In Maribor I was strugling from half way of the track to bottom just to keep hands on handlebar, funny thing is I'm runnung wt.3 on fork instead of 5, so can't imagine a lighter person than me on that fork with std oil, he will be using 160mm max even doing big jumps...

But this is pretty much with every brand, using the suspensions on compressions fully open (is what many do and i do as i feel to much harnesh with todays shocks, forks) means that is you can open more you will, so or they are going far to much with compression std setup, or need a bigger range, because for sure no one os going closer to max closed (even half way) compression on shock or forks, even a world cup winner, so I hope everyone goes a step back next year (2011, 2010 is allready done) so we are able to do 10 runs instead 8 runs when we go the weekent to the bikepark, hehe!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
But this is pretty much with every brand, using the suspensions on compressions fully open (is what many do and i do as i feel to much harnesh with todays shocks, forks) means that is you can open more you will, so or they are going far to much with compression std setup, or need a bigger range, because for sure no one os going closer to max closed (even half way) compression on shock or forks, even a world cup winner, so I hope everyone goes a step back next year (2011, 2010 is allready done) so we are able to do 10 runs instead 8 runs when we go the weekent to the bikepark, hehe!
Holy run-on sentence Batman! Ah, you lost me:confused:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
It would be cool to see Palmer on a Revolt and I wouldn't be at all surprised by it. Kevin has good ties in the the snowboard industry as well as the bike industry.

I have found a con to counter all of the pro's that I've posted about my Revolt; it seems to have a taste for my seat in certain places in the WBP, the landing of the step up where Freight Train splits into Duffman and Side Track, and the roll where Blue Velvet pops out near the end of Goats Gully and the entrance to In Deep. I think it is probably just the bike telling me that I have bad form in putting a Transition saddle onto an Evil...

BTW I'm about 190+gear and I have a 350 pound spring on a medium frame. It feels good except for the tire seat contact that is very rare.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
It would be cool to see Palmer on a Revolt and I wouldn't be at all surprised by it. Kevin has good ties in the the snowboard industry as well as the bike industry.

I have found a con to counter all of the pro's that I've posted about my Revolt; it seems to have a taste for my seat in certain places in the WBP, the landing of the step up where Freight Train splits into Duffman and Side Track, and the roll where Blue Velvet pops out near the end of Goats Gully and the entrance to In Deep. I think it is probably just the bike telling me that I have bad form in putting a Transition saddle onto an Evil...

BTW I'm about 190+gear and I have a 350 pound spring on a medium frame. It feels good except for the tire seat contact that is very rare.
its a boost to flat, i think everyone bottoms there. Fun as hell jump tho.

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Holy run-on sentence Batman! Ah, you lost me:confused:
I have to say that i re-readed now and looks pretty bad, hehe! I'm off now to dinner but will edit later or tomorrow. On my side I have to side that I've replied on the phone so was hard to re-check, but I will do so next time ;)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
is there anything stronger than red loctite to use on my flip chip bolts?

even with the red loctite on there (i forget which # loctite model it is), my bolts still want to keep coming loose.
thankfully using the ol' zip tie trick on there prevented it from coming out....again.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
is there anything stronger than red loctite to use on my flip chip bolts?

even with the red loctite on there (i forget which # loctite model it is), my bolts still want to keep coming loose.
thankfully using the ol' zip tie trick on there prevented it from coming out....again.
Are you letting the Loctite cure properly?

-ska todd

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Are you letting the Loctite cure properly?

-ska todd
sure did

i guess ill just carry my torque wrench in my tool box from now on. its just odd that even when torqued to spec w/ red loctite, it still loosens 1/2 rotation.
im sure the horrible trail at Les Gets didnt help w/ their fantastic brake bumps, but it still stinks.

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Steve - Are you still over in France or are you back in the States?

Ring me up and I'll get you sorted.

-ska todd

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Steve - Are you still over in France or are you back in the States?

Ring me up and I'll get you sorted.

-ska todd
im unfortunately back in the U.S. of the A.
ill shoot you a email from my work email

and whos the old guy on the team issue Revolt in Europe?

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants

It was pretty neat to see him at Northstar. I only got to see him ride for a few seconds, but he seemed to be enjoying himself.

And my Zumbi has saddle-to-tire contact GALORE. I'm getting use to it and actually becoming quite fond of that noise. It means I'm landing super hard, and with that 9" of suspension I've got, I still don't feel it. :D

And after seeing a Revolt in person at Northstar, I'm in frickin' LOVE.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
its a boost to flat, i think everyone bottoms there. Fun as hell jump tho.
I know and the roll on Blue Velvet has a super tight transition at the bottom that Gs out pretty hard which is why I didn't really complain about it at first. I'm not worried about it really but I figured I should point out the issues I've found since I've already been accused of using lines from MBA...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
J4 - What post are you running? I haven't seen many issues w/ inline posts (like Thomsons) and w/ slim profile saddles (like Silverados & Devos). Also, how is the tilt like? I'm sure there could be some buzzing if combined with the sofa saddles and setback posts though.

Hmm, not sure...Jonesy? Some Brit? Some Euro? More than 1/2 of Revolts shipped have gone outside of N America so it could be anyone I guess.

-ska todd

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
And my Zumbi has saddle-to-tire contact GALORE. I'm getting use to it and actually becoming quite fond of that noise. It means I'm landing super hard, and with that 9" of suspension I've got, I still don't feel it.
I haven't noticed any seat rub on my Zumbi, I don't think I run my seat any higher than yours.
Topic: Revolt is awesome yeah :happydance:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Todd-
I'm riding with a Gravity post and the Transition Park'n'Ride AM saddle. I have the nose of the saddle up about 15 degrees and approximately centered on the rails. I think I have 2-3 inches of post showing. I can measure everything more accurately and send pictures if you want. The tire is a 2.5" HighRoller FWIW.

I'm not too worried about it as it only happens on the flattest landings and hardest g-outs and the suspension still feels controlled. I was going to try raising my seat another 1/2" the next time I ride up there.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Hmm, not sure...Jonesy? Some Brit? Some Euro? More than 1/2 of Revolts shipped have gone outside of N America so it could be anyone I guess.
Didn't he say the guy rode a team issue frame? Maybe someone from MS Racing.....maybe? ;)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Yes, but I believe all of those guys were over in Austria riding bike park. But, who knows ;)

-ska todd

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

-ska todd
it had the same paint scheme as the MS team, unless the guy is a big fan boy of the team and decided to hussy his up like the team's. it wasnt Steve Jones. my buddy is friends with him and we we talking with him but he didnt have a Revolt.
he didnt seem to be a WC racer since he looked kinda outa shape and old(ish)

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
it had the same paint scheme as the MS team, unless the guy is a big fan boy of the team and decided to hussy his up like the team's. it wasnt Steve Jones. my buddy is friends with him and we we talking with him but he didnt have a Revolt.
he didnt seem to be a WC racer since he looked kinda outa shape and old(ish)
When MS was on Intense their team manager, mechanics etc. were riding team issue frames as well, not only the racers.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
im unfortunately back in the U.S. of the A.
ill shoot you a email from my work email

I think the "old guy" you are talking about in Morzine with the revolt is Craig form Ride-On ( a UK bike shop thing), The bike isin't team issue, but is a well put together machine from the look of it, all colour coordinated and ****.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think the "old guy" you are talking about in Morzine with the revolt is Craig form Ride-On ( a UK bike shop thing), The bike isin't team issue, but is a well put together machine from the look of it, all colour coordinated and ****.
anyone older than me is a "old guy"

he did a pretty good job copying the decals on the lower part of the frame. he did have gold handlebars, which i havent seen anyone on MS with

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Todd-
I'm riding with a Gravity post and the Transition Park'n'Ride AM saddle. I have the nose of the saddle up about 15 degrees and approximately centered on the rails. I think I have 2-3 inches of post showing. I can measure everything more accurately and send pictures if you want. The tire is a 2.5" HighRoller FWIW.

I'm not too worried about it as it only happens on the flattest landings and hardest g-outs and the suspension still feels controlled. I was going to try raising my seat another 1/2" the next time I ride up there.

Weird, when I go straight to the last page, following the link from the forum menu, the top two posts don't show up but if I go to page 34 and then to page 35 then they are here...