Quantcast

2008 Intense M5 -pic and info inside-

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sorry peoples, but the new M5 and V10 look almost the same as the old ones to me...
Exactly, they're just refining the design with things like lower leverage ratios, lighter weight, and updated geo. That's what they're supposed to do.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
a lot less 'coque then usual. Looks better imho. what kind of fork is that? looks bigger then most manitous

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
WHY an integrated headset? Worst idea ever. Unless you're a frame manufacturer, I guess.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
IMO it's not a bad idea. You just drop the sealed bearings in the frame and go. My BMX runs one and it's super solid, I wouldn't worry about it.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
WHY an integrated headset? Worst idea ever. Unless you're a frame manufacturer, I guess.
I think it is an OnePointFive headtube with a set of reducer cups. (e13 style). I know on Kovarik's old bike his mechanic lathed him up some custom ones.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I don't see how it is possible to take 2lbs out of the m3's total weight, it was not that heavy to start with. Especially when you consider the shock size has increased.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I don't see how it is possible to take 2lbs out of the m3's total weight, it was not that heavy to start with. Especially when you consider the shock size has increased.

marketing pounds and internet especulation pounds are measured on a different scale than we are accustomed to

the new design looks cool with the use of tubes... but the graphics (especially the 5) and color scheme of the whole bike look like it belongs on the nascar track

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If you look at one of Kovarik's team issue M3 frames from a year ago (custom tubing, 150mm rear and 1.5 HT - was about 1 lbs. lighter than a prodcution M3) and compare it to the M5 you can see how 2 lbs. could be dropped from the frame:

...Intense's figure of an M5 frame that is 2 lbs. lighter may be w/o a shock... or rounded off, but it seems plausible.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
There's weight in the M3 to take out....the downtube on the M3 looks kind of flimsy but it is like armor plating, very thick, almost overbuilt. Right there could be a good portion of the weight savings.....

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I think S.K.C. hit a lot of the key points. Also if its equipped with a Revox w/ti spring thats a good bit of weight savings over a steel dhx5 / swinger.

It all adds up.

Intense's numbers might be a bit off but it'll be close I think.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I think S.K.C. hit a lot of the key points. Also if its equipped with a Revox w/ti spring thats a good bit of weight savings over a steel dhx5.

It all adds up.

Intense's numbers might be a bit off but it'll be close I think.
The shock is physically larger then the DHX, and i thought the revox was heavier then the DHX anyway??

Anyway, apples for apples the socom is 8.5lbs without shock, current m3 is 10.5lbs without shock (approx according to intense). I doubt the m5 weighs the same as a socom.

The m3 was not over built to start with. Its not like say the DHR with big square tubes and seats mast where going to round tubes saved weight. If they do hit 2lbs it is by making things scary thin, which is stupid imo.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The shock is physically larger then the DHX, and i thought the revox was heavier then the DHX anyway??

Anyway, apples for apples the socom is 8.5lbs without shock, current m3 is 10.5lbs without shock (approx according to intense). I doubt the m5 weighs the same as a socom.

The m3 was not over built to start with. Its not like say the DHR with big square tubes and seats mast where going to round tubes saved weight. If they do hit 2lbs it is by making things scary thin, which is stupid imo.

The front triangle does look significantly slimmer. Yes the shock is physically larger than the DHX but the Revox has a ti spring.

I too doubt the m5 will be the same weight as a socom (intense's numbers on the socom are inflated anyway). However... I am curious if the m5 is going to replace the m3 or if it will be a sort of FRO model.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
The front triangle does look significantly slimmer. Yes the shock is physically larger than the DHX but the Revox has a ti spring.

I too doubt the m5 will be the same weight as a socom (intense's numbers on the socom are inflated anyway). However... I am curious if the m5 is going to replace the m3 or if it will be a sort of FRO model.
I would think that Intense wouldn't design the Socom into obsolescence after a year- it basically would be a redundant model if the M5 weighs the same, right? I doubt they'll keep the M3, as that would make a few too many DH/FR bikes in the lineup. As for the actual weight of the M5, who knows how close this model is to actual production, so there's a good chance things will change.

In any case, I don't think it's totally unreasonable for a bike to be that light. A lot of people have said the Socom isn't a good idea because of the weight. Well, sure, it's light- but no more so than a 224 or a bunch of FR bikes out there now. Nobody talks about how stupid it is for a 224 to be so light (granted, Orange probably has a better reliability record than Intense, but that's another story...)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I would think that Intense wouldn't design the Socom into obsolescence after a year- it basically would be a redundant model if the M5 weighs the same, right? I doubt they'll keep the M3, as that would make a few too many DH/FR bikes in the lineup. As for the actual weight of the M5, who knows how close this model is to actual production, so there's a good chance things will change.
You would be very surprised what customers want worldwide, you can never have enough models-even if they are overlapping.