Quantcast

2008 Intense M5 -pic and info inside-

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
6.6 inspired top tube.
Huge fatty-daddy shock could be an issue with manipoo haters (me)
Hopefully there'll be more options in shocks soon in that I2I.

I love the Porshe "evolution, not revolution" design philosophy Intense embraces.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
as zark said the evolution not revolution philo is great...but i think the sc guys found a better balance between evo and revolution. and now i really think the v10 is a sexier frame than the m5. wil have to wait on how they ride, which is what matters most.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
6.6 inspired top tube.
Huge fatty-daddy shock could be an issue with manipoo haters (me)
Hopefully there'll be more options in shocks soon in that I2I.

I love the Porshe "evolution, not revolution" design philosophy Intense embraces.

avy 4 ze win

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
from the Intense message board on mtbr RE: M5 beta:

M5 Beta:
Just a quick note about this one as this was the 2nd proto on display 2 Sea Otter.
The M5 will be used by the Factory team starting the World Cup season @ Vigo Spain next month. We will make refinements through out the season and it will be ready for production as a 2008 model.

Design goals were lighter weight, lower leverage ratio, new geometry.

So far the M5 has lost 2 lbs over the current M3 putting it @ around 9.5 #

We are running the same travel but using a 10.5" X 3.5" Manitou Revox, leverage Ratio down to around 2.6 to 1, spring rates are about 50# lighter than M3.

Geometry has been tweaked per Mr Kovarik to better handle the World cup caliber courses. I will not go into this yet.

Also we are working on different dropout options to change CS length and wheel fitments.

Nothing is solid on the above numbers as this is a development project .

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
don't forget that the M2 was the tandem. there was only 2 of them made. but it was still called the m2

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
thanks for that message from intense nixon , I was thinking of holding out for the m5 but I don't think I can wait till '08 , the socom just moved up for my next frame .

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I am definitely buying one when they come out, i own an m3 and if it handles a little better and dropped 2 lbs i'm in. as a side note, this may be brand loyalty, but i hope fox shox can come out with a shock for that frame because i wouldn't want that frame with a manitou shock, i've had too many bad experiences with manitou

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I am definitely buying one when they come out, i own an m3 and if it handles a little better and dropped 2 lbs i'm in. as a side note, this may be brand loyalty, but i hope fox shox can come out with a shock for that frame because i wouldn't want that frame with a manitou shock, i've had too many bad experiences with manitou
Well fox would like to do that,but there shock's won't be longer than 9.5' x 3.0',since the M5 is using a larger shock than the fox.Trust me the revox is way and way better than all those other shock's manitou has ever created.I run a 10.5' x 3.5' revox on my session 10 and it's doing nothing but awesome with out problems.They are maybe the best shock's out there next to a avalanche or Double barrel.A larger shock means a better levarage ratio,my bike shares the revox and gives me a 2:6 leverage ratio with the largest revox shock on it.Intense has not for nothing chosen manitou for the rear suspension with the revox Ti and they know that the revox is a better shock than the fox for the M5.

Nov 17, 2004
Having owned avalanche,romic and fox dhx 5.0 coil and air,tested a revox for a bike mag on my uzzi and was greatly disapointed but then that has been manitou as of late.recently purchased a 07 rmx team with roco tst,and was pleasently surprised by it's overall performance,it espiecially shines in rock garden's and pedals with gusto. I had planned to switch over to fox but now changed my mind keeping the roco very impressed.as of today I had owned a 06 m3,never got used to the dead feeling in the rear.I prefer a more lively rear.and just for comparison my uzzi is much more lively then the m3,fox on both bikes.the rmx is an impressively nimble bike.a bike that inspire's confidence under all conditions.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
it depends witch suspension bike you ride with,the revox was custom designed for the session 10 in combination with a great leverage ratio,the shock preformce awesome and not disapointed.I think the revox is gonna be fine on the M5.

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Well fox would like to do that,but there shock's won't be longer than 9.5' x 3.0',since the M5 is using a larger shock than the fox.Trust me the revox is way and way better than all those other shock's manitou has ever created.I run a 10.5' x 3.5' revox on my session 10 and it's doing nothing but awesome with out problems.They are maybe the best shock's out there next to a avalanche or Double barrel.A larger shock means a better levarage ratio,my bike shares the revox and gives me a 2:6 leverage ratio with the largest revox shock on it.Intense has not for nothing chosen manitou for the rear suspension with the revox Ti and they know that the revox is a better shock than the fox for the M5.
Ride your trek on a real DH course first, not on a mild 4X track

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Ride your trek on a real DH course first, not on a mild 4X track
Well Christiaan the bike did very very well on the 4x track if you don't know and what's wrong with that.I like to do everything with my bike if it's on a Dh track or 4x track.Maybe it's importend to you that my bike is ment for the DH tracks.But that's every body opinion.It's my bike and i make my own rules where i use it for if it's for DH or 4x,but i will definitly not use it for XC and AM.

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
If you can ride it on a 4X track, that is fine, more power to you, but you can't really test the rear shock unless you are on a real DH track, so if you get the chance, go to Willingne and ride the World Cup track from last year, or go to BadWildbad or france.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The Revox on my session 10 was overdamped in both compression and rebound. It worked ok and never really did anything wrong but then It never did anything great either. It is not a shock I would purchase in an upgrade.
I have since had TF Tuned rip the shock appart and service it (they removed a ton of manitou stuff and fitted some 5th things and non manitou seals) and it feels ace. The adjusters make loads of difference and I like it loads more now. To say that the Trek was deigned in conjction with the revox is a bit B.S. The trek was designed with a long shock and Manitou made one in that size. End of.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
If you can ride it on a 4X track, that is fine, more power to you, but you can't really test the rear shock unless you are on a real DH track, so if you get the chance, go to Willingne and ride the World Cup track from last year, or go to BadWildbad or france.
the rear shock is endless,i can adjust the revox to any terrain when i wanted.but your'e rigth a DH track in willingen or Bad wildbad is better to push the rear shock to it's limits.But then again there's winterberg and i will be testing the revox there for 6 day's.One terrain i visit every year is that in the Harz,it has the same terrain as in the black forest(Bad wildbad).I will riding that bike 2 weeks long to it's limit's

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Didn't you also say this was your first DH bike? It's cool you want to give advice but if you have not ridden a DH bike nor any other DH shocks before its a little early to say much.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Didn't you also say this was your first DH bike? It's cool you want to give advice but if you have not ridden a DH bike nor any other DH shocks before its a little early to say much.
it's my first DH bike that i bougth,i have riddin lot's off bikes that the bikeparks head to offer and i riddin lot's off shock's dhx's,swingers,5th's,the bikes i tested where kona stab's,scott high octane's,Nox flux's,Morewood izimu's,bergamont's evolver team DH and off course a demo 8 in austria from a family member,all great bikes with great rear shock's but then again the revox feels much and much better and my DH bike is doing nothing than fantastic.