Quantcast

2008 dhx air 5.0 vs rocco air wc

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I have a single pivot frame with 3 travel options (9 inches, 8.5 and 7.8). In the 9 inch travel mode, the ratio is 3 to 1. I use this bike for both dh (in 9 inch mode), and freeride in 7.8 inch. I am getting one of the afore mentioned shocks (no im not interested in any other shock). which would be better. I think the rocco would be plusher (no platform), and i like the simplicity (not a ton of adjustments) but the 08 dhx has the ability to turn the prpedal off, and would come in handy whn freeriding (cause i will have to pedal at points). they are the same price, so money is null. so, which one ?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
How's the stiffness of the frame? That's also sth that may not suit the shock. Well Dhx air is plush enough for me. I run it fully open for both PP and anti botom and then it works smoth. Dunno about rocco but it's a new thing so I doubt there will be much feedback. Maybe the evolver? Any thoughts on that?

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I know im looking for the impossible (with the technology we have now anyways), but I want something that will be supper plush and sensitive for dh, but can also pedal ok and take big hits (hence me looking so close at the dhx w/ the propedal). I cant use coil cause the diff in ratio is too much and I would have to have multiple coils which to much effort....and too much money

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
i just tested the 08 dhx air 5.0 on the WE. 3 inch stroke on a 9 inch DH bike. it's a horst rear end and the shock felt VERY VERY good. pro-pedal on/off makes a HUGE difference. i climbed with it on and it's firm. off and it bobs like an "open" no-platform shock when pedaling but was AWESOME for FR/DH.

one issue to consider is the pressure in the shock. i have a 3:1 ratio and am 185lbs and had to run 190psi in the shock with maximum (125psi) in the bottom out and then crank the bottom out all the way in. this was for bit-hit style FR but it was still great when i opened it up on the rough stuff. again, the shock felt amazing - better than the Avalanche on my Foes. however, i'm a little concerned about the high pressure. i've heard the roco's run lower pressure.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
one issue to consider is the pressure in the shock. i have a 3:1 ratio and am 185lbs and had to run 190psi in the shock with maximum (125psi) in the bottom out and then crank the bottom out all the way in.
I'm not sure about that pressure for the bottom out. In the manual http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/2008_om_eng.htm it does say to set bottom out with a maximum of 125 psi, but then in the next section it says never run the boost valve with more than 200 psi or less than 125 psi. Did they mean minimum 125 when they were talking about setting bottom out?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I'm not sure about that pressure for the bottom out. In the manual http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/2008_om_eng.htm it does say to set bottom out with a maximum of 125 psi, but then in the next section it says never run the boost valve with more than 200 psi or less than 125 psi. Did they mean minimum 125 when they were talking about setting bottom out?
Set the boost valve with 125 psi then adjust the bottom out adjuster.

You need to check your air pressure after setting the bottom out adjuster. Any changes to the bottom out (air volume) will change the pressure in the chamber. You don't want 200 psi in there with the bottom out adjuster at minimum then crank it in and damage things.

Interesting is the 125 psi minimum....I swear it used to be 75 psi in previous years.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Have a DHX 5.0 Air on a Morewood Shova LT right now. It’s my Do It All bike. Love how it feels. It took me a little while to get it dialed in the way I wanted it. I am 180lbs with gear and have 190PSI in the main chamber and 165PSI in the Bottom out chamber with no turns on the Blue knob. It only bottoms out a few times a Shuttle run.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
yeah 125-200 psi air spring range and 125 psi max in the boost chamber seems to be the fox recommendations.

a BC professional rider gave me some set-up suggestions on the boost chamber when he checked-out my setup. back it all the way out, set to 125psi then crank in the chamber size as needed. (i cranked it all the way in - it bottomed but i couldn't feel it). obviously this will increase the pressure in there as the chamber size is decreased however, i believe fox is making a bit of a cover-their ass generalization when they blankly state no more than 125psi without reference to tuning the dial before or after setting pressure.

at 185lbs, i'm at pretty much the maximum settings with a 3:1 leverage rate. it's hard to believe that this high pressure air shock was the plushest setup (by FAR) amoung a fleet of coil equiped DH/FR bikes with Rocco WCs, DHX 5.0s and an Avalanche.

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
Roco TST Air has the TST, (trail selection tech). Its works well on my coil, (8.875). Its still bobs a little but it helps smooth small stuff out.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
mine dhx air, 06, says 75-200psi boost range, do not adjust bottom out with more than 125psi in boost chamber, and max 300psi for air spring.

and I wish mine had the propedal on/off switch.