Quantcast

160 mm Fork - Pike, 36, or ?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Cool.. Good to hear. Ya, if everybody and their dogs, gloat about them so much, there must be something to them..

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Got the Pike on monday and got it installed.

Im 195lbs loaded to ride.

I put 1 token in and set the pressure to 85 psi, rebound in the middle(it felt fast) and about 6 clicks of LSC. I rode yesterday morning and it felt really good on flowy trails but when I hit a few gnarly,rough,fast, dh lines it felt terrible.. getting stuck down in the travel but still leaving more than an inch of unused travel. I wasnt able to push through berms or jump faces, Super hard compression past the mid stroke, spiky, rattled my teeth out..

I set the pressure to 75 psi, backed off 2 clicks of LSC and session'd a gnarly little spot that I know real well and know exactly how I want my suspension to feel. It still felt horrible.. I was a little bummed.

Took the lowers off this morning and sure enough, VERY little oil in the lowers.. I put the correct amount of oil in. Actually used Mobile 1 5-20w, its all I had..

Set pressure at 75psi
3 clicks of LSR
Set only 4 clicks of rebound compression.. (I think this was part of the problem on monday)

went out after doing this and sessioned the same gnarly little spots and some flowy jump lines and WALLAH!! It felt Fan-Fricken-Tastic..

I get the hype now.. It was supportive and plush as hell at the same time. I am amazed at how the smallest bump moves the fork. With those settings I used all but the last 5/8" of travel which is just how I want it to be in those areas I rode, save the last for a real big hit..

I think the rebound was part of the problem on Tuesday though, obviously the pike needs to be set with less rebound compression that one thinks..

happy as a hell after todays ride.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I picked up a pike a couple weeks ago. I feel like it's kinda meh... Granted I don't have it dialed in yet. 200lbs. One token @ 70psi. Lsc at about 4-5 clicks and rebound 1 click from wide open. I'm gonna drop another 5 psi and ride again, but I have a feeling it will ride too low in the travel.
I'm half tempted to throw my metric back on, it's almost a pound heavier, but it felt noticeably better

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Got the Pike on monday and got it installed.

I think the rebound was part of the problem on Tuesday though, obviously the pike needs to be set with less rebound compression that one thinks..
That's strange, your opinion is the complete opposite to mine. I had to increase the rebound damping a click or two from what felt good on the parking lot bounce test. On the trail it felt nervous and bouncy until I slowed the rebound down. Now the fork feels slow on the parking lot, but really good on the trail.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I agree with running less rebound. Don't have a ton of time on mine, and can't say I have it dialed yet, but I think I'm running 3 clicks from full open, and I like it better than when I was running more initially. It feels fast in the parking lot, but works better for me on the trail.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I picked up a pike a couple weeks ago. I feel like it's kinda meh... Granted I don't have it dialed in yet. 200lbs. One token @ 70psi. Lsc at about 4-5 clicks and rebound 1 click from wide open. I'm gonna drop another 5 psi and ride again, but I have a feeling it will ride too low in the travel.
I'm half tempted to throw my metric back on, it's almost a pound heavier, but it felt noticeably better
spend some more time on it...add some rebound damping to start and set your sag to 18% when standing up in attack position

You prob dont have enough air in it

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I started with 85 psi and have been dropping it little by little 5psi at a time. I'm probably in the 25 percent sag range, which is more than I'm usually comfortable with. It seems like I'm having difficulty preloading the fork before an obstacle, which is the same problem I had with my revelation before I dropped the air pressure. Who knows maybe it just isn't broken in enough yet. I'll spend some more time on it before I give up.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Thinking about getting a 26" Mattoc Pro for a Knolly Endorphin build - running in 150mm mode.
Due to budget constraints, it will have to be used, unless I can find one for very cheap. (CRC has Pro's at 700.00 Canadian - thats the best for new)

I have been running coil front and rear on my other bikes ( Knolly Podium and Delirium )
I'm a little iffy on air due to past experience - I hit the bike at about 220 geared up.

Just wondering what the heavier guys have thought of it?
As well, I hear they sometimes have problems getting full travel - any comments on this?

Thoughts?

Thank-you

michael

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
At 220 you won't have trouble getting full travel from it. I don't get into the last 10mm that often but I only weigh about 160.

It's a really good air spring. Not much stiction, really good midstroke support, etc. You'll like it. It's definitely the best fork out there for the money as far as I'm concerned.