Quantcast

160 mm Fork - Pike, 36, or ?

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
I need to get a new 160mm fork and have been looking at the Pike solo air or the new 36 float. From the reviews I've read, the 36 has a somewhat stiffer chassis and may require less frequent rebuilds to maintain good performance, but it seems the damping on the Pike is almost universally loved.

WWRMD?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I went with the Pike for the exact reason you mentioned. I'm diggin' it so far, but haven't ridden anything compareable lately. I've heard good things about the MRP Stage might as well add that to the list.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
FWIW, on my Pike I've blown both cartridges once, and suspect my rebound cart is blown again now (in 1.5 seasons of ownership). My shop tells me there's one other guy who's had the same issues as me (blowing multiple carts), and he races the ESC Enduro series. I haven't heard of this issue much, but I'm wondering if it's a combination of my weight (215lbs) and riding style (fast and hard). I'm not saying I'm a super athlete or anything, but every once in a while I'll start to feel good, open'er up and overshoot a tranny or two, and then blam... my fork doesn't work right.

I'm not sure the 36 would be any better, though Fox does have a lot of time and development with their FIT carts... I think the main modifications are to the chassis and the valving.

I'm currently waiting to see what the prognosis is for my fork. If I've blown the rebound cart again, I think I may have to send my fork to Avalanche for his "works" revalving.,.. :thumbsdown:

granted the new 36 hasnt been out enough to show any issues but the performance does seem to be very good and the damper is only a evolution of the older FIT catridge which was reliable enough so that's where my money is going. the 20mm axle is also a win in my book!

I have seen a Pike steerer come loose as well as the dampers blowing so it seems RS are back to the usual quality control issues. that said there is a awful amount of them around so you will always get some lemons

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
wow, learn something new everyday. I thought RS was having it pretty scott-free in expando-bladder land.

FWIW, i love my XF vengeance. its 'old' and they have newer versions (under a different model-name), with the same damper. the forks performance is awesome.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Blowing cartridges on forks?! Is this some kind of a weird flashback to 2001?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I haven't ridden the latest 36 but I have a bunch of time on a Pike and own a Mattoc Pro. Both are awesome but I'd buy a Mattoc again over the Pike. The bottom out control is better, and it just feels better put together, Cheaper too.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I can't help with latest 36, but from a damping/performance perspective, my '14 Pike RTC3 makes my '12 36 Float RLC seem like it had 2 dildos stuffed in the legs. My 36 was adequate overall, and certainly was surprisingly light, but fabulously frequent service intervals (for that particular model, I'd suggest cutting recommended service interval for a *full* rebuild in half), required PUSH volume kit (in order to get full travel) and bizarre damper behavior made the choice to replace it pretty easy. Conversely, my Pike (still) feels buttery smooth, has proper ramp up, offers good support on fast hits, and is even lighter than my 36. Personally, I cant' detect any difference in chassis stiffness, but that's just me - perhaps some bigger, harder riders can feel a difference. I'd also say the fork has been absolutely trouble free, and I'm sure I'm at or maybe even well past the recommended hours for a rebuild, and the guys I ride with who have the same fork have had similar experiences as far as I know (i.e. no cart detonations). But like Grubby's 36 at the infamous Whis enduro, I'm sure sh!t breaks on occasion.

All that said, by most accounts it seems like the 2015 36 is a much improved model and is the equal of the Pike according to PB:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-36-float-rc2-talas-first-ride.html

Don't think you can go wrong with either, and as I'm sure others will point out, we're fortunate there's so many good choices out there now with the new 55, Vengence or Slant, Mattoc, etc...Plus, dogboy just popped on a new 36, and he's coming off a Pike, so he may be able to provide some good commentary once he's had some time on the 36.

Not sure if it matters to you, but the 36 still has a 100 hour service interval for the damper cart versus 200 hours for the Charger.

Final word - pretty sure CRC has certain Pike models on sale for $800 or less.

DirtMerchant

Chimp
Apr 17, 2014
I replaced the Pike on my personal with a Mattoc Expert and I can't give enough praise to the fork. It has more controlled damping and notably more mid-stroke support than a Pike. The Mattoc is also internally adjustable (15 minute job) between 140-170mm (versus buying new air shafts for the Pike). I don't have much ride time on the new 36 but I have sold a few without any issues popping up. I think its fair to say the 36 is going to be stiffer than the Mattoc, the difference between the Mattoc and Pike is negligible.

And then there is the price of the Mattoc, incredible value...

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Too many friends missing rides with Pikes + damper issues. RS wouldn't even let the dealer stock them, for unknown reasons. Had to order each time.
Same ol' hit or miss RS. Some are awesome, some blow up every few months.

I went Fox 36 for this reason. I pulled it apart once to adjust travel, very impressive internals. User friendly and built to last. Super adjustable damper and tokens for tweeking the air spring.
But 20mm axle was what really pushed it over the top. I don't have any 15mm wheels and hope to keep it that way.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Ive had two pikes..one 26 and one 27.5

Both have been awesome..I came off an old 36 and I dont feel the stiffness is lacking on the pike in any way..

these have been my first rock shox forks and Im sold on them..my 27.5 has had one full service but other than that its been trouble free...Im not small or slow and I beat the piss out of my bike on rough terrain and both forks were/are solid

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I owned a Vengeance HLR (air and coil) and I currently own a Pike. Both are solid choices, the Vengeance is heavier but stiffer, the Pike has more consistent damping but requires more service.

Other good options are the MRP Stage. I'd wait a bit longer on the Fox 36, it seems they are sorting out some issues (excessive bushing slop).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Had a friend here blow his Pike Charger cartridge here as well, had to get it replaced under warranty.

That said, I wouldn't buy a 36 over it either. How about a Marzocchi 350?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Mattoc!

I've been using two of them (PRO version) since june (26@140mm and 27.5@160mm) and it's the real deal. All the top end forks ride like a dream these days but I think Manitou hit a sweet sport with tunability/price/weight. The axle is a bit fiddly and the paint on the red fork rubs off easily but otherwise, its a killer killer fork!

Token wise, you can tune the bottom out resistance and achieve more or less the same effect. It will only affect the very bottom of the stroke though. But you can 'cheat' with it by running lower air pressure and more bottom out resistance.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have a metric hlr (which is the vengeance replacement) other than a couple issues I've been very happy with it. The negative spring was assembled incorrectly, and after a few months the crown steerer unit started creaking (it seems like any fork I own has this problem eventually). They sent me another one, though and I put penitrating loctite on the steerer as a preemptive measure.
The fork is really stiff compared to the old 36 it replaced. Overall I'm blown away by the damper performance on this fork, and the stiffness to weight ratio. I'm over 200 lbs and ride my trail bike as hard as my dh bike as far as cornering and rocks are concerned.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm currently waiting to see what the prognosis is for my fork. If I've blown the rebound cart again, I think I may have to send my fork to Avalanche for his "works" revalving.,.. :thumbsdown:
So my mechanic says he didn't find anything untoward, other than I was running low on bath oil... He cleaned her up, lubed her up and I seem to have recovered my rebound damping. I'm hoping I don't lose it again. I really wonder what could be causing that.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha I did wonder about that, is the Pike the same I believe there is a groove machined in the stanchion to balance pressure in the two sides?

X-Fusion FTW, load the air spring up with oil and away you go :) My Kowa forks would spray oil in to the shock pump, it was such a pain but on them the pos chamber was at the bottom so you had to flip the bike, take the wheel out, hit the valve quickly to blow the oil clear then put the shock pump on, such bad forks, not that I hold grudges ;)

I was looking at the Mattock but bike shop people seem to think that Manitou is cursed and told me not to bother, X Fusion is more capable than I am so I'm happy with it except for tyre clearance, I'll go back to 26" tyres in the mud I think.

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I was looking to get a mattoc as well, but my supplier couldn't get anything other than red, which won't work for me. I'll probably pick one up next season and slap it on my 5" bike. In the meantime I got a pike for the 6" bike to try out. I'd be very surprised if the damper is better than the metric. The question is, will my inner weight weenie allow me to pay the 1lb weight penalty of running the metric.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
All the people that state on this thread that they have seen/had a Pike with a blown Charger damper... what do you mean by blown? Broken bladders? Loose pistons? Broken shimz?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Having serviced two pike dampers recently I hope you have an easier time with the snap ring under the recessed cap area than I did. Sram may make their forks more 'user serviceable" than fox, but they pull some stupid sh!t too. A snap ring where the two holes are partially covered in a recess? That is a dick move. This is only on the rct3 damper, the basic damper is a breeze. I've also warrantied an air spring recently, so qc is questionable per usual..

Now that I'm done venting I really do like the feel of the damper and the chassis is good. The pike is a great fork, just a frustrating damper service. Thankfully it should be an infrequent pain in the ass.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Any time I spend 2-10grand, I sure as sh¡t don't want the product to look aesthetically pleasing. That's stupid. And you're stupid for wanting your $1,000 fork to look good on your bike. You should feel bad.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
All the people that state on this thread that they have seen/had a Pike with a blown Charger damper... what do you mean by blown? Broken bladders? Loose pistons? Broken shimz?
I'm not 100% sure what happened to be honest... The first time both cartridges were replaced under warranty. They didn't elaborate on what they found. This last time, my mechanic pulled it apart, bled the fit cart and replaced the bath oil. My rebound damping magically reappeared. He couldn't pinpoint what went wrong.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
What about the x fusion sweep 160mm ?

Anyone got any time on one? The price on these is half of the rs/Fox forks.

I'm thinking of trying a x fusion hlr vector air and the sweep fork on my banshee rune to switch it up a little..

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Ah feq it, i just pulled the trigger on a 2014 pike 650b 160mm rct3 new in box from eBay for 725 shipped.. Hopefully i get a good one, haha