Quantcast

☕️Thirsty Thursday GMT

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Three weeks ago, I hired a new direct report.
He's called in sick twice, no called no showed twice, and I haven't heard from him today. He's missed 5.5/12 days so far. WTF

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Carrying two bottles on the bike was a need for me as the races are generally going to be ultra endurance, 100 milers or maybe down to marathon distance etc. Local Trek store didn't have much at the time either.
I see. This is an order but only 4 week lead time. I was not expecting that. I may do some ultra something again. I could be convinced to do something out that way.
Ordered the low spec model since I’ll probably change every thing on it anyway.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
He's called in sick twice, no called no showed twice, and I haven't heard from him today. He's missed 5.5/12 days so far. WTF
Impressive and admirable. Might want to rethink his employment status.

I've had a few go through three weeks of initial training and call me on the first day of actual work to quit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Impressive and admirable. Might want to rethink his employment status.

I've had a few go through three weeks of initial training and call me on the first day of actual work to quit.
I'm already laying the groundwork for what happens next. Contacted my boss and working on contacting HR. I'm a slacker but I'd never consider no-showing on my third day of work

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I had someone coming in for an in person interview yesterday, from the phone interview they were basically going to get the job and the in person was to check they weren't a complete freak.

They no showed...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had someone coming in for an in person interview yesterday, from the phone interview they were basically going to get the job and the in person was to check they weren't a complete freak.

They no showed...
Probably had another offer in hand and were like "fuck it". I had somebody interview, was well liked, and confessed that they had already accepted and basically interviewed out of guilt. Thanks for wasting our time!

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Probably had another offer in hand and were like "fuck it".
A phone call or email takes literally 30 seconds. "I appreciate you considering me for the role. However, I have been presented with and accepted another opportunity. As a professional courtesy I wanted to let you know as soon as possible so that you could move forward with other candidates".

I'll never understand people that can't do this.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A phone call or email takes literally 30 seconds. "I appreciate you considering me for the role. However, I have been presented with and accepted another opportunity. As a professional courtesy I wanted to let you know as soon as possible so that you could move forward with other candidates".

I'll never understand people that can't do this.
have you ever seen how stupid people are?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Linear or box ways?

If linear use whatever the rail manufacturer suggests. If box way GTFO, shouldn't be using grease in the first place.
Shit if I know, I normally just draw the parts and leave the machine voodoo to the machinists, but this was apparently too complex for them. I assume linear ways as the greasing system is a Haas OEM contraption. Not sure why they switched to oil from grease, but this is our last 2015 machine and only one that still had the old greasing system. Hopefully the production side can get their shit together so we R&D folk can quit fucking around with production and sell this turd to buy something cooler with more 5-axis-ness.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
54% attendance seems about right. You were expecting more from people?
I try to be a good boss- I really want people who are sick to stay home and take care of themselves, and I don't expect people in a family emergency to visit the office...but I also would like to know before 12 that you aren't coming in for the day, especially when we are planning on working together.

but whatever...

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
We hired a gal, in the first 90 days she had used 2 weeks vacation, 1 week sick time, and 1 week personal time. And then she quit because we were flexible enough for her with her 3 kids. And she showed up to work at 9:30 or so everyday (doors open at 8). :doh:

Last edited:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I try to be a good boss- I really want people who are sick to stay home and take care of themselves, and I don't expect people in a family emergency to visit the office...but I also would like to know before 12 that you aren't coming in for the day, especially when we are planning on working together.

but whatever...
Yeah, I get it. And I commend you for wanting employees to stay home for sick/emergency reasons. People being crappy humans seems to be becoming the norm, and it sucks. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We hired a gal, in the first 90 days she had used 2 weeks vacation, 1 week sick time, and 1 week personal time. And then she quite because we were flexible enough for her with her 3 kids. And she showed up to work at 9:30 or so everyday (doors open at 8). :doh:
We have extreme flexibility here...it's awesome. I sometimes take advantage of it and feel bad, but then i look around and I think I might the most productive member on the team so I don't really know what that means. Hopefully my dude can get his shit together because another team just yeeted a young woman out the door because she fucked around and then found out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We have extreme flexibility here...it's awesome. I sometimes take advantage of it and feel bad, but then i look around and I think I might the most productive member on the team so I don't really know what that means. Hopefully my dude can get his shit together because another team just yeeted a young woman out the door because she fucked around and then found out.
my boss has flat out told me he doesn't care what hours i work as long as i meet my deliverables and am not just skipping meetings.