Quantcast

^°^Back to school Thursday^°^

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
All the ones I grew up with and skinned were Western Diamond Backs. Copperheads and cottonmouths are the east coast varieties, as I understand it.
Copperheads and cottonmouths are not rattlesnake species. Copperheads where I hike and ride are very aggressive. Normally I can scoot them off trail with a long stick but these will lunge at you. Mean little fuckers.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Shit, man - I'll go so far as to say fuck right off with the idea of even VISITING GA or FL. :D
The Southern terminus for the Appalachian Trail is in N GA. Quite beautiful and plenty of rugged terrain to play on. The nearby town of Helen is Bavarian village in the mountains.
Now, if the AT started in Florida then nah, no thru hiking.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, I'll stick up for the riding in N GA too, some good trails up north of Dahlonega.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Saw a rattlesnake yesterday. Only the second one I have ever seen in the wild. It was hanging out by a storm drain where I park to hike. About 18” at the most and didn’t rattle or seem too concerned with me.
The were super common in the mountains in Virginia. Most often seen on sunny trails on cool days. I have literally had to push several off of trails with sticks. Mother's dog got bit by one once when visiting.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Oooh, oooh, can I play?

My wife and I almost stepped on a Fer de Lance (Bothrops Asper) while on a rain-forest hike in Costa Rica. Thanks be to @FSM that it was cold and rainy at the time. Looked down an not more than 12" from my wifes right foot and my left foot. :panic: Just hanging out in the middle of the trail. We had stopped to listen to some howler monkeys.

Still shiver when I think about it. :fie:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Oooh, oooh, can I play?

My wife and I almost stepped on a Fer de Lance (Bothrops Asper) while on a rain-forest hike in Costa Rica. Thanks be to @FSM that it was cold and rainy at the time. Looked down an not more than 12" from my wifes right foot and my left foot. :panic: Just hanging out in the middle of the trail. We had stopped to listen to some howler monkeys.

I don't know what you were so worried about...

Tissue_necrosis_following_bite_from_Bothrops_asper_PLoS_Medicine.jpg

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Meh, rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Yup, pretty much why the wife and I hold the couples world record for combined high and long jump from a standing start.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oooh, oooh, can I play?

The only rattlesnake I've ever seen was here in muskoka. Was fishing on some rocky river with my dad when I decided to take a seat on a rock ledge.

The crack in rock ledge let out a loud rattle just as my ass was about to sit down. Turned around and saw it, luckily it didnt try to bite me in the butthole.

Caught zero fish that day. :disgust1:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, my kid is homeschooling. He was done with his day by 10:00, so we went to Targhee and did bike park laps until we couldnt anymore. There were a total of seven riders on the entire mountain, and it snowed monday, so the dirt was PERFECT. Stunning fall outing, and no-one hit the deck.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Wasn't gonna do any projects on the new Sprinter until this winter or even spring. Oops...

View attachment 149350

We're building a 6" tall drawer in the bottom of the space I'm sitting in, with a "false floor" of sorts above it. The space I'm in is pretty deep, and where we keep all our clothing during camping trips as well as the cookstove and some other doo-dads. It was kind of a paint to reach that far down to get clothing and gear and such. So, the drawer will contain the cookstove and doo-dads, and our duffles will be higher up and more easily accessed.

Always a project to do.
So?
Steamboat Sep. 10-13 with the canadian?

The only rattlesnake I've ever seen was here in muskoka. Was fishing on some rocky river with my dad when I decided to take a seat on a rock ledge.

The crack in rock ledge let out a loud rattle just as my ass was about to sit down. Turned around and saw it, luckily it didnt try to bite me in the butthole.

Caught zero fish that day. :disgust1:
Saw one when road riding on Lakeshore Road over by Split Rock Mountain in New York state; saw a snake crossing the road ahead, approached it to wave off cars until it got across, saw that it was a diamondback. It didn't care, kept going, and cars did stop.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
What lake is that? I am jellyyyyy.
Next time ;)

Cliff Lake, just slightly northwest of the Henry's Lake and the Centennials.

It gets good day use but only has 6 campsites (tho plenty of boat-in free sites on the lake) so dawn and dusk are the jam.

Neighboring lake (Wade ~ 60 sites) sees more motorboats...

And across the street from the Lionhead CDT (best biking in SW MT)

With its white sandy bottom (#That'swhatshesaid) it is the closest you can get to the Caribbean in Montana water temps notwithstanding...
cliff.jpg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Next time ;)

Cliff Lake, just slightly northwest of the Henry's Lake and the Centennials.

It gets good day use but only has 6 campsites (tho plenty of boat-in free sites on the lake) so dawn and dusk are the jam.

Neighboring lake (Wade ~ 60 sites) sees more motorboats...

And across the street from the Lionhead CDT (best biking in SW MT)

With its white sandy bottom (#That'swhatshesaid) it is the closest you can get to the Caribbean in Montana water temps notwithstanding...View attachment 149365
Fishes? Asking for a friend.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just had one of those rides...

Just wasn't feeling it, slow and wobbly, bad line choices, shoes tied too tight etc etc. Should have taken that as a sign and turned around.

I paid for it by getting caught in a sudden thunderstorm. Monsoon rain out of no where... ugh. And the sun light dissapeared in a flash, had to leave the forest by braille basically.

Beer me now.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You guys can have it. I'll head north and west. :D

View attachment 149359
Quit pimping Limon trails or they'll be overrun.
Saw one when road riding on Lakeshore Road over by Split Rock Mountain in New York state; saw a snake crossing the road ahead, approached it to wave off cars until it got across, saw that it was a diamondback. It didn't care, kept going, and cars did stop.
I thought any rattlers in the NE were Timber Rattlesnakes?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Oooh, oooh, can I play?

I have a cousin that is a trail builder in Costa Rica.
JUST FUCKING NOPE