Quantcast

£€¥ Mardi ¥€£

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Woke up just before 6. Thought of going for a quick dawn patrol ride, but didn't know how to get coffee in me at that ungodly hour, so decided against it. I'll try and go for a lunch rip I guess.

To top it off, my espresso machine didn't turn on with the timer this morning... The PID buttons needed to be played with first... Happens once a year or so. Had to happen today. :dead:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Mercredi eve here. My ultra busy period at work seems to be slightly tapering off. Boss asked us in our team meeting if we’re all doing too much. Well ‘yes’. Great that he is perceiving and asking, and even proposing a way out. We shall review deliverables for the next year and cross a few things off, and/or defer some. Good.

As you may know, the US DOE has a modern day ‘Moon shot’ programme called ‘Hydrogen shot’ with the goal of getting green hydrogen to US$1 per 1kg in 1 decade (aka ‘111’). It’s pretty cool and kind of a big deal. Anyway it’s been going for two(? I thought one but…) years now (holy shit time flies) and there is a free public symposium on progress in the next few days. I expect it might well be a nice relief from the general doom and gloom:

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Please just be worn bushings, naaaawwww, lay down some ugly welds and grind the journals back to circular(ish).
IMG_20220531_193834 (2).jpg

There was an extra run put up the left side after this, grease comes out the right side so it couldn't be welded up, not sure why it has a grease nipple.
I should do a welding course, I enjoy it but I'd like to be better at it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Please just be worn bushings, naaaawwww, lay down some ugly welds and grind the journals back to circular(ish).
View attachment 177135
There was an extra run put up the left side after this, grease comes out the right side so it couldn't be welded up, not sure why it has a grease nipple.
I should do a welding course, I enjoy it but I'd like to be better at it.
:fie:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah it's not great but to get someone to do a better job would have taken too long and a new housing might be 10k with labour.
P_20220531_111130.jpg

Missed a few little bits on the other side which is annoying but bushing and dry grease will settle in them and hide my poor technique.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
woke up 15 minutes before my 0500 alarm (this is my sleep in day :banghead: ) fed the dogs , now I am enjoying my espresso. Looked around for ten minutes trying to find my glasses this morning only to find then sitting right next to my mug of espresso. oops :bonk:

Have to get the camper ready to go fly fishing in the Sierras this weekend, It will just be me and Watson the oldest of my Aussies

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good morning, lovelies! I got up early and swam 2700 yards. My upper body was tired so the swim was a real grind. Glad I got it done though. This has all the makings of a very busy work from home day.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I am here.

Body is achey and tired. Might need a rest week before getting back in the saddle. I have been doing great with training but thought sleep would be warranted last night, so maybe I'll slack and try to catch the wednesday night TT or something.

Decided to build a patio. We have no nice outdoor space and I guess I just couldn't take it anymore. Dug out a little flat area, now I need to expand it to fit my grill and fire pit, then start the process of actually putting it together....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yeah it's not great but to get someone to do a better job would have taken too long and a new housing might be 10k with labour.
View attachment 177137
Missed a few little bits on the other side which is annoying but bushing and dry grease will settle in them and hide my poor technique.
To be clear, wasn't as much a comment on your work, vs that where I work, that kind of repair wouldn't even be conceivable in the field, and a 10k part change happens every day. That's the difference between heavy equipment and airplanes I suppose.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
last 2 days did not need any sort of painkillers / nsaids for the knee/leg. walking is normal, have probably 95-98% range of motion back. started stretching it again, hopefully can get back on the saddle sometime this week for some easy pedaling.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
:wave:

what a great weekend at snowshoe. drove up friday morning. rained a lot of the way. had an awesome time catching up with my childhood buddy. the 32 years since i had last seen him disappeared. it's amazing that the tiny town we grew up in had such a crazy mix of people and could generate so many memories. introduced him to the crew and we hung out and drank beers friday night. much hilarity ensued this and every night, although crap sleep also followed every night. saturday was wet and foggy. took it slow, half the crew decided to ride and got lift tickets, the other half hung out and drank beers. amazing disgusting sloppy conditions but got in 7 or 8 runs from 2-6. never have i or my bike been so muddy. cleaned up, had fun dinner in the village, and carried on back at the house. sunday was sunny and 70; one buddy broke himself on the first run, everyone else stayed safe, rode well, and enjoyed the still very sloppy conditions. got in 3 runs monday morning then drove home. woke up at 6 to take my friend to the airport.

now plowing through a lot of things before a big deadline tomorrow at work and schlepping kids around this evening. then joy of joys off to davenport, ia, tomorrow for three days for a work trip that i would much rather NOT be on. le sigh.

have an excellent day, my fellow primates!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Meetings have begun... Too much coffee. Should be a fun combo. Kitchen plumbing will be getting disconnected as the day goes on. Jr league tonight.

anyone use a monopod - single ear bud - for road riding? thinking about getting one.
Back in the day of corded earbuds, I had one that I cut the left ear off of. I had music, but always had my road side ear free. And if I got pulled over, there was no question as to whether I had two headphones in, since it only had one earbud.

Not sure about this monobud thing, but one ear bud is legit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:wave:

what a great weekend at snowshoe. drove up friday morning. rained a lot of the way. had an awesome time catching up with my childhood buddy. the 32 years since i had last seen him disappeared. it's amazing that the tiny town we grew up in had such a crazy mix of people and could generate so many memories. introduced him to the crew and we hung out and drank beers friday night. much hilarity ensued this and every night, although crap sleep also followed every night. saturday was wet and foggy. took it slow, half the crew decided to ride and got lift tickets, the other half hung out and drank beers. amazing disgusting sloppy conditions but got in 7 or 8 runs from 2-6. never have i or my bike been so muddy. cleaned up, had fun dinner in the village, and carried on back at the house. sunday was sunny and 70; one buddy broke himself on the first run, everyone else stayed safe, rode well, and enjoyed the still very sloppy conditions. got in 3 runs monday morning then drove home. woke up at 6 to take my friend to the airport.

now plowing through a lot of things before a big deadline tomorrow at work and schlepping kids around this evening. then joy of joys off to davenport, ia, tomorrow for three days for a work trip that i would much rather NOT be on. le sigh.

have an excellent day, my fellow primates!
i was gonna text you and ask how it was. glad it was fun. where'd you stay?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Back in the day of corded earbuds, I had one that I cut the left ear off of. I had music, but always had my road side ear free. And if I got pulled over, there was no question as to whether I had two headphones in, since it only had one earbud.

Not sure about this monobud thing, but one ear bud is legit.
i used to do the same thing, but times have changed. now there are single side BT ones available that are purpose built. like this:

was wondering if anyone had experience with any models.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
last 2 days did not need any sort of painkillers / nsaids for the knee/leg. walking is normal, have probably 95-98% range of motion back. started stretching it again, hopefully can get back on the saddle sometime this week for some easy pedaling.
This was all from the DH weekend? Did you crash?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This was all from the DH weekend? Did you crash?
no crashing, and no kind of event/incident that would have caused it, so i'm just assuming overuse strain. 2-3 weeks ago i started upping my road miles too, so it makes more sense than any other possibility.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i was gonna text you and ask how it was. glad it was fun. where'd you stay?
A house on South West Ridge - on the other side of the lift from the one we were at. But awesomely close to the lift, so you could ride out the front door and be on a trail in like 50 yards. Many things were grilled, but you'd have been disappointed by the lack of wings! Hopefully the amount of beers consumed made up for it. :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
no crashing, and no kind of event/incident that would have caused it, so i'm just assuming overuse strain. 2-3 weeks ago i started upping my road miles too, so it makes more sense than any other possibility.
Ah bummer. :(
I tell you, it is these 650B wheels! During the 26" wheel times you were riding all day and party all night, rinse and repeat and were fine. Now this. Only thing that changed are the wheels. Science! :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ah bummer. :(
I tell you, it is these 650B wheels! During the 26" wheel times you were riding all day and party all night, rinse and repeat and were fine. Now this. Only thing that changed are the wheels. Science! :D
only other factors is that

1 - first day of DH for the season
2 - unseasonably hot (90f/32c)
3 - didn't stretch enough (read: didn't stretch at all)
4 - only had a short window to ride, so just hammered out laps for 3 hours.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all

Today I work. Tuesday == pancreatic cancer multidisciplinary conference day, as always.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
only other factors is that

1 - first day of DH for the season
2 - unseasonably hot (90f/32c)
3 - didn't stretch enough (read: didn't stretch at all)
4 - only had a short window to ride, so just hammered out laps for 3 hours.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nah, for sure the 650Bs....

....or age. *duckandcover* :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I managed to get out for a lunch-time sneak. Conditions were great, I felt good on the bike, and I am now refreshed. Still have to fine tune my new drivetrain, but I think I might have an idea or two on how to get there. One thing's for sure though, it's going to take a while to get used to how slappy/bouncy the long derailleur cages and chains are for wide-range cassettes. It's almost like going back to the days before clutch derailleurs.

Took a team meeting on the drive home, scarfed down two leftover chile rellenos, and I'm about to make an espresso.

have a great afternoon y'all.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
the older i get, the faster i was
According to the guy scolding the groms at the bike shop where I demo'd the SB a few years back "he's probably lost more speed over the last 10 years that you'll ever have." It hurts. Deep down.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
According to the guy scolding the groms at the bike shop where I demo'd the SB a few years back "he's probably lost more speed over the last 10 years that you'll ever have." It hurts. Deep down.
i can still go fast enough that i enjoy myself without risking major injury. i'm content with that. plus i passed a bunch of enduro bros dragging their brakes

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
i can still go fast enough that i enjoy myself without risking major injury. i'm content with that. plus i passed a bunch of enduro bros dragging their brakes
Same here. I like to refer to it as Brief Moments of Being Badass. 30 seconds of pure joy. :rofl:

The hiking with weight had given me some serious leg strength though. Passed an e-bike on a climb recently and I am not a particularly good climber.