Quantcast

Single Speed Conversion

jollyrodger

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
I'm trying to go single speed on my ds-1. What all do I need to do? I took off the derailleurs, then tried riding it with the cassette still on, and it definitely did not work. The chain kept trying to "shift", either up or down the cassette, even though the chain line looked good. Are there some spacers I can get that will allow me to run only 1 sprocket on my multi-speed rear hub? Any ideas help.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
There's a few things you can do:

1. Buy a SS specific hub, though I don't think that's what your getting at.
2. I beleive it is Surly that makes SS conversion spacers for 8 or 9 speed freehub bodies, could be wrong about the manufacturer, but they are available.
3. Ghetto style, you'll need to tear apart a few old cassettes to get the spacers, and as a bonus, you'll have a bunch of spare sprockets.

If you have fixed vertical dropouts, it can be hard to setup without any tension device, Surly and DMR make some that replace the derailleur, though I hated my old DMR one. If you have horizontal dropout's, it's easy to setup perfectly.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
lockemiester said:
3. Ghetto style, you'll need to tear apart a few old cassettes to get the spacers, and as a bonus, you'll have a bunch of spare sprockets.
This is a common way to do a single speed conversion on the cheap. Breaking apart two old cassettes ought to give you enough spacers. If you need a chain tensioner you can even use an old derailleur although it takes some trial and error to set it up correctly.

I just ran a shifter cable into the barrel of the derailleur and tightened the cable down to hold the derailleur in the right position to keep a straight chainline. I also removed the upper pulley. It looks mega ghetto but it actually works pretty well for me.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Dude, do a search. There's tons of good stuff on converting in here, in the XC forum, and maybe even in the beginners forum.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Real quick rundown, as I'm 5 minutes away from leaving for the weekend.

1. Schedule 40, 1-1/4" PVC pipe makes spacers. $3 buys you enough for a fleet of SS's. Or if you have old cassettes laying around, that would also work. I just think the $30 spacer kits are too damn expensive.

2. Remember the rule of 4. 4 teeth in a chainline will equal 1 full link of chain. Example: you can run a 32 tooth ring up front, and either a 15,16,17,or 18 tooth cog in the back. Depending on your dropouts, you might even be able to run 2 different size cogs in there. This is more a hint for the clean, tensioner-less look. Chains can also stretch a wee bit (you dont' want to use a really old chain), and give you a wee bit more adjustability.

3. Shimano DX cogs come in a 16 and 18 for about $4 apeice. Odd sizes you're going to pay for. Use an unramped cog, so it won't shift unexpectedly on you.

Play around with it some. I've made 5 different SS/fixed gear bikes for me and my friends, and I'm proud to say I've never had to use a derailleur.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me any questions.

All good advice....my experience has been that re-using a cog from from your cassette can cause problems. I've never had any luck with them, I've had freinds that have used them with no issues....go figure. I would suggest using a Shimano DX cog (for BMX freehubs) as mentioned above. Much more stout and no shifting ramps. Nothing worse than really working that one speed up a hill and having the chain jump....OUCH!!!

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
You need to call Bike Source in colorado and ask for justin. He has made a specific device that will eliminate any problems you are going to have. It's really hard to explain, but he has put a lot of time and effort into it. The number is 303-221-4840.