Quantcast

You've heard of speed traps but have you heard of a bicycle trap?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
(May 16, 2005) --

KSL NEWSRADIO AUDIO BOX

Ben Winslow Reports: Download the MP3
http://real.ksl.com/video/ksl/2/294/29437.mp3

Ben Winslow Reports: Listen to Streaming Audio
http://real.ksl.com/video/ksl/2/294/29438.ram

You've heard of speed traps but have you heard of a bicycle trap?

Five Utah police agencies will be participating in a state-sponsored crackdown on motorists who aren't sharing the roads with bicycles.

Plainclothes officers will ride bicycles to catch motorists who aren't sharing
the road. Assistant Chief Craig Gibson says it's a growing safety problem.

´One of these days we think the weather will improve. We expect people to be out on bikes. We have a lot of construction in Layton right now and a lot of traffic in general. We want to educate and make people aware there are bicycles on the road.

Assistant Layton Police Chief Craig Gibson says what they'll do is put
plainclothes cops on bikes to catch motorists. Cops in cars will then write the
tickets.

´The only way you can do this type of program effectively is to set it up and
have it choreographed.

On average, the state health department says 900 bicyclists are hit each year. Four other Utah police departments are participating in the statewide
enforcement program.
--------------------
The Standard-Examiner (Ogden, Utah) ran a longer piece about the program:

Bike safety program to hit high gear
Friday, May 20, 2005
By Marie MacKay
Standard-Examiner Davis Bureau

In Utah each year, an average of 900 bicyclists are hit and six are killed by
motor vehicles, said Theron Jeppson, bicycle and pedestrian coordinator for the Utah Department of Health.

"Utah has one of the higher bicycle-motor mortality rates in the nation,"
Jeppson said. "A big part of this was to educate motorists and bicyclists in things that they do wrong that could potentially lead them to a crash."

Roy Capt. Tim Jensen hopes that through this program, they can persuade the public to better follow bicycle safety laws.

"I think there's a lot of ignorance in that area," Jensen said. "There's a lot
of room for education."
http://www.standard.net/standard/news/51015/

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Jayridesacove said:
good.

I hate when idiots yell, "Ride on the sidewalk!" when there is a marked bike lane on the road.
Yeah, I get that crap a lot on a road with about 10 feet of shoulder...and it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Bravo. I wish they'd do that here! I bet they'd discover a huge untapped revenue-generation source. Fredneck is full of angry, bike-hating cretins: young "yo-yo-yo" types in riced Hyundais, leathered wife-beaters in vehicles laden w/ladders & PVC tubes, mountain inbreds on K-Mart Holiday in ass-draggin' minivans packed like clown cars, you name it.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I ride on the sidewalk for the most part, it's much safer, plus around here a lot of people ride so they really dont enforce the dont ride on the sidewalk thing. I'm careful. Riding in traffic just freaks me out.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I thought this was going to be about the cop that gave me a written warning for splitting the lanes on my bike. The icing? As he was looking at my ID, 2 cars ran the red light behind him. :think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dwaugh said:
I ride on the sidewalk for the most part, it's much safer, plus around here a lot of people ride so they really dont enforce the dont ride on the sidewalk thing. I'm careful. Riding in traffic just freaks me out.
:stupid:

Out here, I'm damned if I can tell the difference between a "sidewalk" and a "bike path" anyways.........

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
LordOpie said:
WTF will happen *when* one of those cops gets hit (or killed!)?

They will probably come down on the offending driver like the warth of god... probably lead to a strengthening of the campain as well. :thumb:

Man I wsh they would do something like this down here, cos New Zealand drivers are crap. :mumble:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
dwaugh said:
I think that a certin percent of drivers all over the world are.
Yeah like 90%. I live right across the street from a preschool. When the kids get out it is UNREAL to watch. People coming to get their own kids driving 35-40 in a 25. I wait for the day one of these morons hits their own kid. Or they pick up THEIR KID and "screw everyone else I'm in a hurry" and just punch it down the street. Just a few weeks ago I came home and there is this 4 yr old in the street with cars passing him on either side. Not a single person stopped, honked, anything. So I stopped my car in front of him to block him from getting hit by another car. Finally I honked and said " get out of the road little man". His mother come FROM DOWN THE STREET to bitch ME out for honking. Hell if it wern't for me her child would have been under the wheel of a SUV.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
His mother come FROM DOWN THE STREET to bitch ME out for honking. Hell if it wern't for me her child would have been under the wheel of a SUV
Hmm too bad...there needs to be an example set[kid getting smashed by car] for lazy ass parents like her.