Quantcast

Your First Proper Mountain Bike, What Was It?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
In San Diego I won a 2wd mountain bike from 91x radio that was kind of funny, but was an epic fail when I moved to Portland. I went down to the local shop and got a Proflex 855. What an elastomer death trap ('95ish).

download.jpeg

Bought my Stinky just before joining the Monkey, I think. Maybe just after.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My first bike that I actually took on dirt on a regular basis was this build of the Gary Fisher KaiTai. I suspect I got it around 1996.

1682096096772.png

Before that I had a Schwinn whose model name I can't recall. I rode it a ton around town, to friends houses, to and from school... Probably my first real experience of freedom - at that age where your parents let you explore a bit and you might have a few bucks in your pocket. I can almost taste what it felt like to ride to the little grocery shop with my buddies and pick up a package of chocolate covered Hostess Donettes and a soda.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My first bike that I actually took on dirt on a regular basis was this build of the Gary Fisher KaiTai. I suspect I got it around 1996.

View attachment 192808

Before that I had a Schwinn whose model name I can't recall. I rode it a ton around town, to friends houses, to and from school... Probably my first real experience of freedom - at that age where your parents let you explore a bit and you might have a few bucks in your pocket. I can almost taste what it felt like to ride to the little grocery shop with my buddies and pick up a package of chocolate covered Hostess Donettes and a soda.
Some new wheels and tires on that frame and I bet it'd be great for cruising around on now.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Florida man across the street has a Fisher Maui that's still in pretty good shape. Would make an excellent green way cruiser, but would definitely feel like a death trap on single track these days.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hopped on my old NRS when I was up in Montana visiting the kids a few years back... same conclusion. Bike was *definitely* trying to kill me.
When I got that bike I could only afford the frame at first. Not understanding geometry at the time I put on a POS Quadra 21 with 63mm of travel on a bike designed for 80mm. Just thinking about the front brake would launch me over the handlebars.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
When I got that bike I could only afford the frame at first. Not understanding geometry at the time I put on a POS Quadra 21 with 63mm of travel on a bike designed for 80mm. Just thinking about the front brake would launch me over the handlebars.
When I bought mine, someone had put a Psylo U-Turn on it (coil). Which probably worked in my favor WRT OTB. I never took it below the 120mm setting.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
1985 Stumpjumper, the red one with a chromed chainstay and XCPro/Specialized gruppo. That fukker was long and better suited for power sliding corners. In 88 I got a fillet brazed Lombardi Gullywogger...16.5 stays and a 23" TT...awesome geo for the time. A couple years later I put a CK hs, Cooks cranks, IRD fork...loved this bike. Next summer is my 40yr anniversary and I started on a converted Schwinn World Sport with cx tires and moto handlebars. It died in a double wheel taco event hitting a jump on a moto track built on the side of a hill.

Attachments

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I will say that Psylo was noodly as all FUCK, though. :D
Somewhere I have a picture of a buddy on a bike with a SID SL where his handlebars and the front wheel are pointing in different directions about 30 degrees.

To his credit he used to clean sections of trails on that bike that people today walk enderpo bikes through.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I mean this in the best possible (jealous) way, you guys [Rideit and his ilk ;)] are a bunch of bike whores with your almost yearly buy/ride/sell/buy regimen.

I've always been "a poor", so I tend to ride my bikes forever and I still have them all:

'91 Rockhopper Comp (Grey/Purple last year's close out @ $379?, I used to have the receipt)
'97 Rockhopper Comp (Lime green end of summer close out, I think around $1000)
'04 SC Superlight (Anodized silver last year's close out from RBikes, $1800ish)
'13 Yeti ASR-5 (Yeti Turq last year's close out from Competitive Cyclist $2800)
'17ish Norco Fatbike ($900, used rental from shop buddy that wife claimed shortly after arrival hence...)
'22 Motobecane Fatbike ($800 Covid supplies made this the first and only bike I ever paid "retail" for albeit cheap)
'23-4 N+1 TBD but GG Shred Dogg [factory outlet clearance] bike in the lead thus far

Bikes I've been given and still ride:
FIL's Fisher cross bike in 2010s

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This thread came to my head because I saw a young kid riding the bike my brother in law still rides, a 97 Hard rock.
1682114396824.png

Internet pic.
It was weird because most kids either have department store garbage or something that adds a year to the the parents' home loan. I hardly ever see kids on old shitters like this.

Never ridden a flexier crank than those spesh house brand ones, I really felt like I was going to break them on a road ride.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i mostly skated and tore around on my 20" through college. later ('97) got a rigid trek 820 which probably wasn't a "real" mountain bike. then a fisher kai tai which got stolen and replaced with a fisher sugar (@Westy - both from you know who in charlottesville). first bike i truly loved was my (2006?) heckler which i put a coil and a 160 vanilla on. that was the first bike to really unlock the true potential of riding in the hills around here for me.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I mean this in the best possible (jealous) way, you guys [Rideit and his ilk ;)] are a bunch of bike whores with your almost yearly buy/ride/sell/buy regimen.

I've always been "a poor", so I tend to ride my bikes forever and I still have them all:

'91 Rockhopper Comp (Grey/Purple last year's close out @ $379?, I used to have the receipt)
'97 Rockhopper Comp (Lime green end of summer close out, I think around $1000)
'04 SC Superlight (Anodized silver last year's close out from RBikes, $1800ish)
'13 Yeti ASR-5 (Yeti Turq last year's close out from Competitive Cyclist $2800)
'17ish Norco Fatbike ($900, used rental from shop buddy that wife claimed shortly after arrival hence...)
'22 Motobecane Fatbike ($800 Covid supplies made this the first and only bike I ever paid "retail" for albeit cheap)
'23-4 N+1 TBD but GG Shred Dogg [factory outlet clearance] bike in the lead thus far

Bikes I've been given and still ride:
FIL's Fisher cross bike in 2010s
Hey, sell all of those old bikes, and maybe the Terps will finally go all the way. Because we know you spend all of your free cash on Terps merch and tickets...;-)...oh, and...:drag:

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Used my caddie money to buy a 1993 Trek 830 Antelope new. Remember it being around $425. Was rigid and a touch too big, but I was expected to grow into it :) Loved that bike and it’s what I learned to mountain bike on.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
1991 Diamondback Ascent

spent a couple years on that, replacing bits as needed, then swapped things over to a cannondale frame in 1993 i think. then a haro extrem e-stay frame. then a titan cycles frame. then a kona explosif. then a custom curtlo. then a... and so on and so on and so on.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I had a Cannondale Beast Of The East in ‘92, LOVED that high BB for hopping around on and over things. I converted mine to single speed with Magura HS 33’s (clear or eraser rubber pads only), used to do a lot of what I called ‘mock-trials’ on that thing on the UCLA and CU Boulder campuses. Kept the pepperoni fork rigid, of course.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Everything before this was CCM/Schwinn based home builds.

Kona Kilauea 1992 or 3?

Not mine but it looked like this. I did put a Marzocchi XC51 on it a year later.

1682132474841.png

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Shit. This thread reinforces the fact that I am old as dirt. I've been mt biking for 37 years which is longer than some of you have been alive

34 years for me, started in 1989 on a fully rigid, hi tensile steel framed Raleigh "Terrain Buster" canti brakes, 3x6 18 speed with thumbs shifters.
Weighed a freaking ton, brakes ceased working at the slightest hint of moisture, changing gear was a sometimes thing, and inspite of only running 1.8 tires, it had zero mud clearance, so the wheels would lock up from the mud it collected.

Buggered if I know why I stuck with the sport back then????

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My first bike that was called a mountain bike was an Emmelle Nevada 15.

27A865C3-7C78-4548-BE91-C6F1BDE0D08B.jpeg

Trying to figure out when that was. Pretty sure this was late 80s.

After that I had a few BMXs, but then I think very early 90s I saved up for a black and matt grey Marin Bear Valley SE. I got a Flite, Smoke and Dart, and Spuds as upgrades over time. 17” frame so the top tube sloped down. Looked way better. Pretty sure I had XT thumbies on this for a bit when they were retro cool and then the newer rapidfire underbars which I remember thinking were from the future because they were so much better than the early ones.

37F8C157-F734-4F8B-982F-9D8C2F5969AF.jpeg

After about two years it got stolen and after my rage and grief I insuranced an Orange Clockwork LX that was spec out in grey and anno purple, again with down sloping top tube. Here’s a orange and white one in a couple sizes larger, I can’t find the grey that I had. Again had a flite and by that time Panaracer Fires and became XT.

D6FF8263-532F-4023-989B-4938F773253E.jpeg

After that went back to BMX for a bit, then eventually traded a dope anno red and green S+M Dirt Jumper for a Kona Pahoehoe with the original orange Marzocchi Z1s on, to which I added Magura HS33s, a flite and spuds ofc and fat IRC Kujos to.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

View attachment 192808

I had a Schwinn mtb style bike for riding to school. After that got stolen it was replaced with a Marin which was also used for urban adventures and some long road rides.

The chocolate donettes were a staple of early morning trips to buy concert tix. Hit 7-11 for those and some Gatorade, then swing over to the nearest Ticketmaster or Ticketron location and hope we were the first in line.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
It was a great quality bike for the money, mine had a Judy XL pool noodle on it towards the end and the massive 4" of travel was too much for a headtube weld.
It was also the first frame I got to chop up with a hacksaw, there have been a few since.
There is something oddly cathartic about cutting up a frame...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
There is something oddly cathartic about cutting up a frame...
I knew an xc racer in the 90s who got hit head on by a car. Broken femur and some other stuff, but he lived. He took part of the wrecked bike, either a frame tube or fork leg, and made a bong out of it. While he was laid up at home recovering with nothing to do, he would watch afternoon tv shows and narrate entire episodes onto his friends answering machine. Drove the guy nuts to come home from work everyday to a full tape of that stuff. :rofl:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My first bike was a 1993 Marin Indian Fire Trail but was stolen before it saw dirt. Then a no name crappy bike where the frame bend. First real mtb that saw a lot of riding and a lot of upgrades before it was stolen was a 1995 Cannondale M900 (The one in the picture is not mine and has a fancier crank).

Loved the purple paint and still think it's a really nice looking frame. Upgraded almost everything on that bike.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'll occasionally buy donettes when absolutely craving sugar on a road trip. But I swear that 'chocolate' is made with some kind of wax or something to prevent melting.
I'll bet there's as much chocolate in them as there is dairy in american cheese :p

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I also got one of these in ‘91. I wanted to ride with Jay DeJesus, but I kinda sucked until later.
View attachment 192830

View attachment 192831
another bike i wish i still had that i bought off my older brother....

although he ditched that fork and put a 24 inch SE landing gear fork on it with the brake mounts set up for 20 inch rim to keep the geometry the same...

and it was repainted a metal flake bass boat green.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
That is BadAss,with Maggies? Must be a Trials? Check the spoke count on her. I have never seen anything like that,well I have but not with that Fork. Sick. What year and do you still have it? Is that Arrow rear Tire?

Avy
Loooong before arrow existed. I think the bikes were made in ’88. unfortunately, almost all of those forks broke. I sold mine for basically parts in ‘95 or so. I bought mine after being blown away at the ‘91 Norba trials championship in Mount Snow, VT. That was also my first sport MTB race as well, I actually finished.
At one point I had a very, very early trials frame that was made in the ‘70’s, I wish I knew the details. But I moved a lot, and had to get rid of a bunch of stuff.

Last edited: