Quantcast

Your 4x bike weight ? FS-or-HT ?

B

bigkonarider

How much are your/racers 4x bikes weigh ?
FS-or HT ?

I'm thinking about building a hardtail for these positive reasons :
No shock to blow or rebuild
Quicker acceleration
Lighter frame weight
Reliability
Frame usually Cheaper in price

-On the negative of a hardtail-
If you come up short !?
Little less traction !
Comfort ?

But hey"look at Lopes"
:cool:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I have a Planet X Jack Flash RAD hardtail (no longer made), and with heavy tires and tubes, 36 spoke wheels, and a Fox Vanilla fork, it's somewhere between 31 and 32 lbs.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
Well, comfort should not be an issue since you will only be on it for 40 secs at a time. But all your other reasons for the HT are very valid. The only strong arguement at this stage of the 4X scene for FS is traction. If tracks continue to be as crappy as Mammoth was, we may need the suspension to be able to hold such loose & pothole-filled turns.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My FS Slalomander was about 30 pounds, and my DNA is about 26.

I got rid of the dirtworks when i realized that at most i was going to do 2 slalom or 4x races a year, and the hardtail is a lot more fun for dirtjumping and bmx racing. The 3" i had in the rear was definetly benefical in flat corners and it was fun to load up the suspension in berms and stuff to get spit out, but honestly there are so few races in the states that a a real specific race bike is useless unless you are extremly fast and race the whole NCS.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
k i got 2
yeti dj frame and 4x project
jumper sherman 20mm
minute 3 on 4x
hadley hubs on both with d3.1's tubleless and db spokes
thompson stems and posts on both 50mm
easton monkey lite xc's on 4x project
hayes mag + on 4x normal hayes mag's on dj
e13 chain guides both 36 tooth and the 4x one has been shaved down
stylos on 4x bike holly's on the dj
flite ti on 4x and mirra pro on dj
single ply maxxis 2.35 assorted tires
king headsets
welgo mag pedals on 4x with ti spindles
flatboys on street bike with one grind plate
odi lock ons

4x weights in at 27.5 lbs lighter than my nixon equiped 575 with heavy hubs
dj weights 28.75 with front brake and protaper bars.

both builds are indestrucatble but i cant get the 4x to fell right in the rear. my kokopelli was an amazing 4x bike even with the flex (rocketed out of corners but the damn tire clearence)
i will most likely be racing a hardtail next season but it wont be the yeti due to pending sponsorship stuff.

a hardtail i like more b/c it feels much more natural and makes you concentrate harder on what your doing. it can weight less with the minute up front carbon bars mag + stylos lighter pedals it could easily weight around 26-27

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
since i live in TX, i can build a "TX DH BIKE"... which means a light FS 4X bike... no need for lots of suspension around here...

so... my 2 bike setup (which is under construction:

Specialized SX with float to air the F outta most of the time...
Talas up front...
thomson oversized stem and cerbon bars
XT cranks
singletracks with hadley trials hub in rear
etc...

light with some aired out squish...

my hardtail is currently an identiti jeckyl which is 29 lbs now and should be somewhere between 26-27 lbs once its done...

bmx background so i dig the hardtails

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
I have not done a lot of racing but I'm will be doing a bunch next year. I have a Heckler with beefy parts at 35 or 36lbs and a beefy HT which is a DNA and it's also pretty heavy 35lbs. I should lighten it up for racing but I like to ride street a lot.
I'm pretty sure I will race the HT more than the FS.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Full sus is nice, I'm always a bit more comfortable having some squish in the rear of the bike too. Makes me feel like I'm on a little dh bike (my jumping bike is just a smaller version of my DH bike) Pro-pedal is nice too.